Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-04-2010, 13:40   #16

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay;430978
[SIZE=2
At least, until the PC language police morph it to “waterpeople”, or some such silliness.[/SIZE]
Waterpeople is derogatory now. We prefer "shore challanged"

Old 05-04-2010, 15:04   #17
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Yachtie? A bit twee in my book.......but maybe it is me who is the snob?
Ah David... you and Groucho Marx...

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 15:36   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day All,

Acouple of comments:

HEre in the South Pacific (specifically Oz and NZed) any boat with a sail on it is called a yacht which distinguishes it from the dreaded "stinkboat". It took me a few years to get over my Yank bias that had snobbery attached to the word.

And as to the term "yachtie", usually spelled "yottie" down here -- usually refers to a long term live aboard cruiser. Certainly not pejorative, and worn with some sense of accomplishment in the cruising fleet.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Lake MacQuarie, NSW, Oz
Old 05-04-2010, 17:10   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Thanks for the heads up Doug. Who are "we"?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 17:17   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
It's all clear now

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
Waterpeople is derogatory now. We prefer "shore challanged"
Ah, that explains it. A fellow from Arkansas floated by while I was working on my windlass the other day. I had no idea what he meant when he yelled, "Boy, it looks lack you sho' challenged there."

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 08:15   #21

At least in South Florida people usually use "yachtie" do define the butlers , cleaners and waitresses who work on the superyachts.
I call myself a sailor , since that's what I do for a living.
Old 20-05-2010, 10:54   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Then there's "real yachties", who wear the term "yachtie" as a badge of honour. These guys you'll usually find at anchor and very rarely in a marina. The boats are usually old and/or second hand, and their life-style is definitely low budget. Usually, they try very hard to make friends amongst the locals wherever they are .... as well as the other cruisers.
Cruisers all pitch in together to help one another out and you can ask to borrow a tool from someone you have never met and be assured they will not only deliver it but probably help you with the job.
Cruisers can find an idyllic anchorage and share it with other cruisers and come sunset will all wonder into the beach with a beer and nibbles and share them around. They have a drink, song and laugh.

Cruisers will meet another cruiser once and be friends with them for life via HF radio, email or just via the grape vine.

Cruisers arn't broke, they have enough to buy you a beer, give you a shackle and give you all the food they have on board if you need it.

Cruisers financially support many remote communities by buying simple groceries and goods at their shops.

Cruisers are the best folks in the world!!!!!!!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 11:54   #23
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
UK boatyard workers definitions for folk on the water...

Yachtie; Someone with a boat who has to be in at least one Club so he can fly the Burgee and prove he's someone.. if its a 'Royal Yacht Club' he's a made man.. has a perfect main and genoa coz they never see the sun and his boats a floating seaside holiday cottage.
When he does go out its under engine to the nearest bay with a good Pub/Restaurant on shore where he can regale his guests with tall tales and nautical bosh in a voice that drowns out the jukebox...
Cruiser; Can sometimes be confused with the 'Yachtie' because of the Burgees and name of a yacht club painted under name of the boat... but closer inspection will reveal this guy actually visits other ports and even countries... and knows how to raise his sails..
Sailor; Someone who use's sails... effectively..
Boater; Someone who doesn't use sails... but engine or manpower instead..
Seaman; Unaffiliated person who lives, works, travels with/on boats in on/offshore waters.. usually recognised by casual dress.. lack of designer foulies/sail gear, disdains lifejackets unless insisted on by employer... 'they're for pussies..'
Can be recognised in waterfront bars by wrinkled faded eyes looking into the distance, puffing on a pipe or roll-up in peacefull solitude, if in company probably discussing the last "Yachtie" towed in by the Lifeboat coz they screwed up the tide times... again... or great bars in other ports..
A**HO#E; Inconsiderate 'Boater' with a BIG ENGINE... OR...
Commercial Fishing Boat at sea...

Guess I'm a Seaman....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 12:34   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
a YACHT must have a helipad and a helo ....otherwise is a boat. these dont come into marinas --they stay out on sea--they anchor and they use a "skiff" of under 100 ft as their tender--LOL.....
cruisers are folks who try to keep moving.......not stay in one place all the time.
boaters use boats--mostly power type..small ones and fish or just zoom up and down any given bay or lake....
"A**HO#E; Inconsiderate 'Boater' with a BIG ENGINE... OR..."-- have seen thos many times as someone with sails and a bad attitude or power boats ...both can be this..LOL
"Sailor; Someone who use's sails... effectively.."---AMEN!!!

snotty yotty--someone from a yot club --more flags flying the dumber the person is....donot know proper etiquette for boating and love to run through places of which they donot approve--ie, anchorages nmooring fields..LOL
\
real cruisers fly no flags except courtesy and country of origin.....

"Cruisers are the best folks in the world!!!! \"
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 13:17   #25

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I like boatman's definitions and feel free to call myself a cruiser.

I have my master's license but feel uncomfortable calling myself captain (unless I'm doing it to sell my services.)

When I lived in Singapore, we called those that traveled through on boats, either as owner or crew, yachties.

Now for those folks who own the big floating hotel megayachts, I have different names, none complimentary.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 13:45   #26

Boat: SJ23 1988
Quote: "i.e. become "tomato growers"

As is LandLubbers... I like it! What happens if they grow their own vegies on the boat???

Sailor: Seamanship with a boat that has Sails. Can handle it in the dead calm or force 10.

Me... I'm still Learning.... will be for life. I may own my sailboat, but it owns me in reality. I can handle the dead calm as she is a "GREAT" lite wind sailboat, but have yet to get the courage up for anything with bigger waves than 4'. She just stalls out when plowing into the waves and makes no leeway. Just beats me up, like a rag doll.

Some day I'd like to be a "Capable Sailor". I'll take my lumps in my own time though and with my own sailboat.

Captain: Someone capable to take somone else's boat and treat her better than the owner can... or anyone else for that mater. They take charge, know all the jobs on the boat and can do them better and quicker than you can shake a stick.

Before I'm off to see St Peter, I'd like to be as capable as a "Captain".

As for the afore mentioned Deragetory terms.... It's all in the eye of the beholder. Some people just "Don't know.. they Don't know".

Cheers

Old 20-05-2010, 14:23   #27

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Everyone is free to call me what they will...However I shall be monitoring their "tone of voice" and "body language"

Regards

Alan
Old 20-05-2010, 15:45   #28
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
In a Gemini....people call me many things!.....
Old 23-05-2010, 10:18   #29

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Here is a quotation I found very interesting:

To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen, who play with their boats at sea -- "cruising," it is called.
Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in.
If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about. "I've always wanted to sail to the
South Seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is _not_ to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine -- and before we know it our lives are gone. - Sterling Hayden

I most often refer to my self as a cruising sailor but I like to think at times that I approach being a Voyager as Hayden has defined. Being less Dependant on non essential things like toaster ovens and TV's and other power hungry items.

BTW the only person I think would fit this definition here is MarkJ... my hat is off to you as a true Voyager. Think you and Sterling would have been great friends.
Old 23-05-2010, 10:27   #30
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Thanks Reality... excellent quote you have there...
There you go MarkJ... see... Your not a 'Cruising Turkey' after all....
more a Transient Sea Eagle... .

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: