Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 11:08   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
"Yachtie" Revisited......

After much debate and no small amount of beer, I have compiled a list of terms and definitions which should be refered to from now on when doubt about the correctness of usage is encountered. Some of these may cause consternation amoungst some of our (ex)service types.

Sailor: Anyone in the Navy, useful for delivering Marines and later the Army.

Mariner: Anyone who earns a living on the sea(not same as above)

Sailer: One who sails.

Yachtsman: Anyone who capably, carefully and lawfully pilots a pleasure vessel either power or sail of any size. Nice people, found the world over.

Boater: Owns a (small) usually power boat.

YachtieSnottie) One who owns(with or without a bank lien) a boat that he may not be able to actually make use of(or afford) without professional help. Usually found at or near the club bar wearing all the latest of "yacht wear" and sporting at least one gold chain(gold pepper optional), a Rolex and at least one other insanely expensive accessory like a $700 key fob, $20,000 cell phone, or $1000hr call girl. Large foul smelling cigar optional.

Able to look down his nose at the rest of us while fully believing that his bilge water is less aromatic than the rest of the worlds. Pomposity, vanity, and snobbery are concidered virtues. May be related to the Kennedys. Loud.

Calling down the "help" publicly and loudly, looking silly in their blue blazers and "Captains hat" and believing that they are better than the rest of us is standard.

Unable to see thier own wake. Unusual to be found outside of airconditioned spaces. Smell of gin.

Always found to be full of B.S and pretention and usually meets the boat at its destination. May have owned stock in Worldcom.

It has been a pleasure working with you on this problem.........m
cantxsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:30   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I would say you must have consumed huge amounts of beer. Good effort on that though. I was wondering who you were debating with?
My point of view is that sailor and mariner should be interchangeable and sailer should be a description for a type of boat, i. e. trailersailer. Yachtsman is just a short step below sailor and boater and just above yachtie and with the addition of some yacht togs would be a yachtie.
Could you buy some more beer and gather your debate team and consider some changes? This time stay away from the beer in aluminum cans.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 13:17   #3

Boat: Trismus 37
Your take on the term Yachty is probably true in Houston, after all don't they own all the oil in the world. Whereas in NZ / Aus a Yachty is a salt of the earth (sea??)type of fellow, may occasionally smell of gin but mostly beer, no call girls, gets his sex for free, "no sex no sail" so mostly sails with mates or alone.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 14:52   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Beer in cans? Good heavens, the cheek of some people......

OK I'm bad. It's the Snotty Yachty I want to sink. Pompous, ass first types, you know them. They are everywhere. As for the oil, someone here abouts owns it but it ain't me. The 10 or so gallons of diesel I use in my boat every year isn't going to get me in big with any of them. The wife works for a small oil company(Blackstone Energy) who treat her very well. I'm never going to be able to convince her to go sailing while she has a good job so I may just have to go it alone.

It's sometimes easier to get forgiven than it is to get permission........martin
cantxsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 15:00   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
Sailor: Anyone in the Navy, useful for delivering Marines and later the Army.

Mariner: Anyone who earns a living on the sea(not same as above)

Sailer: One who sails.

Yachtsman: Anyone who capably, carefully and lawfully pilots a pleasure vessel either power or sail of any size. Nice people, found the world over.

Boater: Owns a (small) usually power boat.

Aussie definitions:

Sailor: Gay gentleman

Mariner: Outboard motor salesman (or sailsman)

Sailer: Gay dyslexic gentleman.

Boater: Round straw hat worn by Poms at the rowing.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 15:01   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
My experience cruising in the eastern Caribbean is that the cruisers we've met seem to represent a broad slice of all levels of society.

And the good news is that they are all really nice people! Rich, poor, fancy boat, bare bone boat--it doesn't matter.

The common thread is that we all love sailing.
Old 02-04-2008, 18:01   #7

Aloha MarkJ,
Gay as in happy? Right?
Strange how geography has a lot to do with English definitions.
JohnL
Old 03-04-2008, 00:44   #8

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha MarkJ,
Gay as in happy? Right?
JohnL
Guess again
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:06   #9

Boat: 1974 Challenger 40 Ketch, Holding Pattern
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha MarkJ,
Gay as in happy? Right?
JohnL
I agree wholeheartedly...location, location, location is the key. And from considerable travel abroad, yes, many times it is the Americans who expect their slang and vernacular to have reached the rest of the world with Nike and Microsoft.
Holding Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:26   #10

Geez, I spent nearly 30 years in the U. S. Navy and never once realized I was gay. I wish one of my wives or girlfriends would have told me. Oh, no, another identity crises!!
Regards,
JohnL
Old 04-04-2008, 09:15   #11

Boat: B24
When I lived aboard, anything with “yacht” in it (or as the root of the word/phrase) was not a term of endearment, period… not sure what those of us who had sailboats were called, but I don't recall that either variation on sailor/er was in vogue on the DC/Baltimore waterfront, at the time… Blazers were not generally seen on our docks, nor shoes for that matter, so we didn’t need to worry much about the “club” set… I suppose the term “cruiser” makes the most sense (sort of a live-aboard with a very mobile address, is the picture I get…), but we generally preferred “boater…” or “live-aboard” rather than being mistaken for those folks who either could afford paid hands/captains or should have engaged their services as they bounced off the pilings (and occasionally us) with their marina jewelry…

Oh, and at the time I think most of our boats floated on beer…
Old 04-04-2008, 09:39   #12

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the labels, I like people or I don't....but the Yachtie term had some good qualities....own a boat...found near the bar....wouldn't mind having the accoutrements (rolex, gold, girl)....and I like cigars....ditch the attitude and that guy might be ok......
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:45   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post

YachtieSnottie) One who owns(with or without a bank lien) a boat that he may not be able to actually make use of(or afford) without professional help. Usually found at or near the club bar wearing all the latest of "yacht wear" and sporting at least one gold chain(gold pepper optional), a Rolex and at least one other insanely expensive accessory like a $700 key fob, $20,000 cell phone, or $1000hr call girl. Large foul smelling cigar optional.

Able to look down his nose at the rest of us while fully believing that his bilge water is less aromatic than the rest of the worlds. Pomposity, vanity, and snobbery are concidered virtues. May be related to the Kennedys. Loud.

Calling down the "help" publicly and loudly, looking silly in their blue blazers and "Captains hat" and believing that they are better than the rest of us is standard.

Unable to see thier own wake. Unusual to be found outside of airconditioned spaces. Smell of gin.

Always found to be full of B.S and pretention and usually meets the boat at its destination. May have owned stock in Worldcom.

It has been a pleasure working with you on this problem.........m
This is almost 100% word for word what I described a yachtie as in the other thread on this topic. Maybe it sunk in?? lol
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:18   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Call me what you want. Just be sure to call me for dinner...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mel Lyn Bob and Frank-Dinner.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	3196  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote