Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 15:46   #1

^%$^% Yacht Club politics

Be advised this is a rant

I was 50/50 on a boat. Became an associate member of the YC it was moored at when I bought in so I was authorized to have a key to the docks. Cost me near $2,000, $1,500 of it a non refundable initiation fee. No voting rights, no moorage rights. Only thing my two grand bought me was access to a key.

I made a post about this next segment before, but to recap. They changed the dock keys and when I went to pick up the new key they refused to give it to me - because my partner hadn't paid his part of the moorage. It was a bit infuriating because I wasn't even allowed a slip and my dues were paid in full. They said until he pays his part of the moorage, no key for me. Making matters even more complicated he was out of the country for 8 months a year in Mexico. Eventually we got it figured out after much adoo. You'd think if I wasn't entitled to a slip then they couldn't restrict my membership based on someone else's slip.

I advised the YC that if the moorage was ever late on the slip to inform me so I could sort it out before it became a problem because the partner was in Mexico 8 months a year. They didn't. They would mail the invoice to his house, his wife would save his mail, and nobody knew the better until his wife was getting angry phone calls from the (volunteer) treasurer about late moorage. Typically this would happen the week before Christmas. We'd always get it sorted out by mid January. Normally I'd drop a check at the YC and cover everything and sort it out with my partner later.

Then the YC changed their policy. New policy was only the holder of the slip could pay for the moorage and only the member could pay for their membership dues meaning now we had to submit two checks. Why they cared where the money came from I'll never completely understand. Money is money, like who cares. This made matters even more complicated in going between Mexico and two cities in Canada getting all the money in different places so the "correct" checks were making the "correct" payments.

We made it work as frustrating as it was for everyone involved.

Then my partner had open heart surgery and during surgery died of a stroke. It was totally unexpected as he as strong as an ox. I was left trying to figure out where his wife wanted to go with our co-ownership arrangement but I gave her space and time to sort out his affairs and figure out what she wanted to do.

The motor on the boat is pooched so it wasnt going anywhere. The YC made me get an additional $2MM third party liability when I became an associate member which I got but after the motor died I let it lapse. My partner had $2MM liability on the boat and the only damage a moored boat could cause is if it sunk and took the dock finger down with it. I wasnt about to have $4MM in third party liability on a stationary moored boat. You could buy 100 of those dock fingers for that kind of money they arent anything fancy and the boat is solid.

Then of course the same old garbage comes up with the moorage. My now deceased partners wife was loathe to look at his mail for obvious reasons and she started getting angry calls again from the (volunteer) treasurer. I gave her the moorage money and she paid it by check (because they wouldn't let me do it). Exasperated and frustrated with this boat she just forfeited her YC membership and told them she wants nothing more to do with it which is understandable given the circumstances.

One of the requirements for moorage at this YC is that you need to live in that city to have a slip. I rented a place there in October as it's only an hour from where I work in anticipation that something would end up coming up over all of this. I had paid my membership dues by check with my new address on the check months prior to all of this.

Then I get an email saying I need to show proof of insurance within 24 hours or they will impound the boat because now that my partners' wife rescinded her membership the boat is uninsured. This is within 48 hours of her rescinding her membership.

They are also suggesting that I do not qualify for moorage because I do not meet the residence requirement. I told them to look at the check and the envelope, and I end up getting grilled about the postmark on the check because it was mailed from somewhere else. What is this gumshoe private eye? I mailed it from a postbox near my work. The return address and the address on the check are within the residency requirements. Who cares what postbox I put the check into.

On top of all of this, it's January 10th, minus 10 degrees C outside and stormy. I mean come on. I just found out that I'm the proud sole owner of the boat, that I need to buy insurance. Threatening to impound the boat and forcing me to move it and I have 24 hours? Gumshoeing on my residency requirements? I mean come on have some clemency. It's not like there are people clamoring to get on the water in the dead of winter here, the YC has empty slips and everything is covered in snow. Give a brother some time. Like maybe until the end of the week?

Adding insult to injury there was an extreme windstorm and on facebook I asked a liveaboard to check on my dingy that was on the bow to see if it blew off. Apparently it was blown off just before Christmas and someone put it on the dock near the dinghy dock, not that I would have known. And the YC was giving me grief about that and how I neglected to deal with it. It's been snowing for three weeks in sub zero weather. What, I'm going to go for a casual stroll along the docks during the holidays in blizzard conditions with 40kt winds? Of course I am not lounging on the docks. Ugh.

Now they want my rental agreement, insurance practically my first born child. And all of this because one of their long term members (20 years) DIED. It's unbelievable. There is no money owed just an insurance matter to clear up and a dinghy to pick up and put away. I even put in my 8 volunteer hours pressure washing the docks in the torrential rain 2 months ago.

There's a sidebar story. I mentioned my problem getting my dock key when they changed the locks. Another fella had a similar problem. His house had burned down and he and his family were living in a hotel. He came to get his key and they refused to get him his key because he couldn't show proof of insurance. Never mind that his house had burned down, no POI no key. Guess what happened later that day? He came and looked from the wharf to check on his boat, but couldn't access the docks. Later that day his boat SUNK. Something about a scupper got stuck and it rolled over, destroying $25,000 worth of new navionics he had installed. If they had just had some clemency and let him have a key because his house and burned down, he would have noticed it was taking on water and fixed the scupper.

It seems at this YC the crazy comes out after the holidays. Like these ladies volunteering have nothing better to do than to make everyone's lives miserable. My late moorage is the least of their problems. An email went out and 64 people were late in paying their moorage. Mine was already paid. Honestly they should know better seeing as its a god awful time to send out bills December 1st just before Christmas. And the e-mails are awful. The final sentence was "If anyone wants to terminate their membership then send notice to the Commodore". What a way to treat your members.

Sorry about the rant but I had to just get it off my chest, and it's not really safe to go around my YC ranting, lord knows that would only cause more problems.

END RANT
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 15:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: ^%$^% Yacht Club politics

Good Lord, is there no other place you can keep your boat?
Every year I go a round with my Marina cause they want proof of insurance, something the insurance Co won't give until the insurance actually exists which is the last day of the years before insurance, but that is it really.
Why in the world do you stay?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 16:01   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Not a lot of sympathy here. Pay on time. Follow the rules. Most clubs will make allowances if made aware, in a timely manner, of any extenuating circumstances. Liability insurance is an important factor. A fire on your boat might affect others. As for ending membership, most clubs operate on a calendar year and if you do not resign by December 31st you are liable for next years dues.
Old 10-01-2017, 16:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Good Lord, is there no other place you can keep your boat?
Every year I go a round with my Marina cause they want proof of insurance, something the insurance Co won't give until the insurance actually exists which is the last day of the years before insurance, but that is it really.
Why in the world do you stay?
I stay for a few reasons.

1. It's a blue collar yacht club. Other than these ladies who collect the funds everyone is pretty relaxed and not pompous and circumstance. I mean during the key fiasco the lady actually had the nerve to say to me "So he stays in Mexico for 8 months a year without his wife. Hmphf. Doesn't sound like a marriage to me."

2. Ecologically, it is the only place I know of where the marina is in fresh water with open access to salt water with minimal current. No barnacles, no bottom cleaning other than something similar to lake slime, which just blows off and dies once I hit the salt water.

3. Wind. This place on a beautiful hot day has wind like you've never seen. Its not uncommon for a hot sunny day to produce 25 kts of wind due to a mountain vortex. I've pushed the boat up to 9.6 knots. Big wind without big waves. Hell of a day sail.

4. Money. Moorage after initiation and membership dues is $600 a year. Closer to the city it goes up to $1200, and in the city it exceeds $10,000 a year. Moorage here is nuts expensive.

5. Small town. It may be an hour out of the city but it's a town of under 50,000 people. Even if I dont go anywhere, it's like a floating B&B getaway.

That all said, there have been a few times I've seriously contemplated just moving to a professional commercial marina and this is definitely one of those times. It may cost twice as much but at least they (a) dont care where I live and (b) act professionally when it comes to the money.
Old 10-01-2017, 16:06   #5

Boat: wanting a cat

I know this situation sucks, I know you don't want to hear that this is a first world problem.

I would resolve this whole thing asap, get the stress out of your life.

At some point in time, you will be able to look back at this and laugh at these
richard heads. The hardest part is putting it behind you.

Good luck with the future, sometimes you gotta go off on a rant...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 16:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
I know this situation sucks, I know you don't want to hear that this is a first world problem.

I would resolve this whole thing asap, get the stress out of your life.

At some point in time, you will be able to look back at this and laugh at these
richard heads. The hardest part is putting it behind you.

Good luck with the future, sometimes you gotta go off on a rant...

meatservo
Hahaha thanks yeah sometimes you do just have to rant. Never heard the term 'richard heads' though. Made me laugh
Old 10-01-2017, 16:51   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

So you have to decide if the pluses outweigh the minuses.
But if your now the sole boat owner, then as long as you play by their rules, all the problems should go away?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 16:59   #8

Quote:
But if your now the sole boat owner, then as long as you play by their rules, all the problems should go away?
Well definitely once they are satisfied with my residency and upgrade me to full membership at least then there will only be one bill sent to me and none of this playing connect-the-dots with multiple checks and multiple people and multiple cities and multiple countries involved.

The upgrade will cost me an additional $1,500 in non-refundable initiation fees, at best if they give me some clemency.

One odd factor in all of this that I didn't mention because it wasn't relevant to my rant. They're all over me like white on rice and likely all these other people... but...

A developer bought the land that the water lease connects to. Wants to build a sprawling condo development along the water (why, I don't know.. you can't swim in it because between the marina pollution and the icy glacier water its just unswimmable) and is trying to push them out of their water lease so he can build an attaching marina. The water lease isn't even very secure, they are looking at alternate sites to move the floats just in case the negotiations with the developer dont pan out, and the developer is definitely doing to demolish the clubhouse.

Little aggressive given the circumstances, I would think.
Old 10-01-2017, 17:03   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Another problem. The OP is not a member, he is an associate member. To be a member he would have to apply, get approved, and pay an initiation fee, if any, and membership fee. Associate members fees are usually much less than membership fees.
Old 10-01-2017, 17:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Another problem. The OP is not a member, he is an associate member. To be a member he would have to apply, get approved, and pay an initiation fee, if any, and membership fee. Associate members fees are usually much less than membership fees.
My dues are the same as a regular member.

My initiation fee is half the regular initiation fee. My dues, the moorage and my initiation fee are paid in full. There is a $3,000 initiation fee my partner had before he died that his widow just forefeited, I already have paid my $1,500. Normally the membership would transfer to the surviving spouse but she doesn't want it.

More fencing, I suppose. I don't have another $1,500 to drop, let alone another $3,000 on short notice. Crap if I had that kind of money to throw around I'd have a boat motor.

At least once I get this sorted I'll get a vote at the AGMs and am allowed to speak. I wont go in guns blazing, but I certainly will have some suggestions. Most importantly of which is to allow electronic payment by credit card, rather than this bizarre requirement to drop off a check by hand at the clubhouse, issued in the name specifically of the person who owes the money.

If they want prompt payment, they certainly are going about it bass ackwards. If they told me what was owed when it was owed I would have paid it, but instead they insisted on not telling me a thing and insisting on only telling the boat partner and not accepting a penny more than my own dues from me.

PayPal for Business is free. I have suggested they do PayPal invoicing for three years now. You can pay by debit, VISA, MC, AMEX, Discover, Paypal and if you choose to pay by check they can just tick a box that it was paid manually. Probably would tone down the rhetoric from these volunteer bill collectors to make their life easier. But you can lead a horse to water but not force it to drink.
Old 12-01-2017, 15:56   #11

Boat: never mind...

Sounds like the guy whose boat sank may have grounds for a lawsuit.
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 17:28   #12

He probably should have, or at least had the insurance company do it for him.

Its a small club and a small town, so he probably just let it slide... wish he didn't. These nazi's come January cause nothing but trouble. Like it's days after the holidays, cut people some slack. A lawsuit launched by a major insurance company would put the humble back into their pie
Old 12-01-2017, 20:28   #13

Honestly, I stopped reading about half way thru.

Pay your bills on time and most of this will go away. It's not their problem if your partner handles the bills and was late.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 02:46   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

They are hot on the rules because if they don't peeps won't pay on time which leads to a cash flow and other members having to subsidise the non payers. Plus the club ends up with a load of old boats sat there without mooring fees being paid and ultimately have to be disposed of. Its a problem the first world over.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 05:19   #15

The point is being missed.

1) I told them if theres a problem with the moorage to contact me. They didn't and rather insisted on ONLY contacting the person who was out of the country despite me telling them so and about the situation and;

2) They refuse payment from me and will only take the payment from the person who is out of the country, making it impossible for me to pay the damn bill.

If I dont know what the amount is, and they wont take money from me, how am I supposed to pay it on time and in full?

Maybe read the whole rant before you lob half witted comments.

Tags
yacht