1. Biggest safety
issue: Previous owner changed manual bilge pump
from above the waterline to thru-hull but still used the old cheap
accordian style bilge pump
2. Biggest headache: Used hardware
, often not SS such as bolts and hose clamps to "save" money
. I remember one bolt on the engine I could't get to with a grinder or even a full hack saw. I spent 1/2 hour every day with for a week, with a saw blade in my hand...
3. Most unpleasant: Added holding tank but did not use anti-siphon loops, and yes, I was on a cruise
when I discovered that one...
4. Most annoying: Added anchor
light without securing the wire inside the mast
5. Misc: Typical sealant
smeared everywhere instead of problem addressed. Electronics
wired directly to battery with allegator clips.
Second pocket cruiser
Wired a few new electronics
directly from the battery switch plus and minus through the bilge
with lamp wire, unfused. Since the wires attached to the back of the switch, not the battery, I didn't notice it until smoke started coming from the bilge.
The boat I didn't buy:
Owner had never updated through -hulls. The handle broke off of one when the surveyor
tested it. The next failed completley. The fact that we were on the sea trial at the time and neither the manual or electric
bilge pump worked made for an exciting day.
Another I didn't buy:
Owner was so proud of the west system repairs
he did, that he wanted and extra 25% for the boat. The repairs
were to fix the holes in the bulkhead that were present after he removed the depthsounder, and other instrument when they failed. I pointed out that while his work was good, the instruments could have been replaced for a fraction of the additional money he wanted, and that one of the first things I'd do was cut holes in his work to add needed instruments.