Some real horror stories - here's mine - AND the supposed surveyor
with all kinds of credentials and an expensive on the hard survey
- no engine
test or sail inspection
was $850.00 US - missed threm all.
New cabin teak
and holly sole installed just before the PO put her up for sail - nice looking - problem is it was glued down completely all over covering the prior access hatches so I can't get at the bilge
or the tankage/ pumps underneath.
wires behind the main panel were a jumbled mess and there was a longtime leak from the pedestal
base above the panel causing it to be wet whenever water
was on the cockpit
sole. - surveyor
did note the wires.
the boat was advertized as shoal draft
versiion - thats OK but I found out that it was really a centreboard version where the board had been removed in the past and the well glassed over. I beleive this was done in conjunction with some other starboard side hull
repairs/reglassing - also missed by the surveyor - so the boat may have suffered hull
damage in the past.
the steering wheel
and it's shaft was not fastened inside the pedestal
. It would work it's way out after a few turns and come out of the bearing on the forward side of the pedestal making the steering
inoperative. The PO must have had to apply constant forward pressure against the wheel
as he steered to keep it in place - incredible! - I fixed it in 5 minutes with a new retaining ring. Also the fiberglass
bedding around the rudder
post was broken completely so only the weight of the rudder
held it down in place - I discovered it by tracing the source of a squeak when the wheel was turned and a leak from the aft bilge area - it was normally about an inch above the water
where it exited the hull above the rudder but when sailing with the stern wave rising up against the hull, it leaked. I had the yard haul the boat and block her while I fashioned a new post bed
and chopped cloth - drilled out the new hole for the new bearing and installed the new bed
and built up a heavy - 2" of epoxy
and mat all around the area for strength inside the hull. I am still amazed that it didn't break apart on him while out sailing as the boat would have sunk in minutes.
Instead of replacing leaking ports
or rebedding them. he put little plastic tupperware containers below the leaks
on the outboard
locker shelves to catch the water - laughable.
The surveyor listed the doger/bimini/full enclosure in 'like new condition' - the only newer part was the windows. The threads tore out of most of the zippers and some seams the first time I put it on so when the PO put in new window panels
, he didn't have them resew the rest of it.
The PO did not winterize the bladder holding tank
which when I purchased the boat was not evident because it was February and the effluent inside had frozen along with the hoses where liquid was sitting. Of course when spring and warmer temps arrived, it all thawed and the sweet smell of old **** filled the boat as the bladder tank seam had parted because of the freeze and was seeping along with a hose that I could not access under the aforementioned glued on cabin sole
. I had no way of pumping it out so had to wait for the boat to be launched to fix the problem. Needless to say it was not fun working on the boat until launch.
There are a myriad of smaller items too numerous to list and I did get the boat for a good price
due to some other deck
problems, but I'd like everyones advice if I should confront the surveyor and demand a refund of his fee.