Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 18:09   #1
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Women on Waves

Here's a topic which may end in thread closure in short order!

Discuss:

This Boat Sails Women Into International Waters To Give Abortions | HuffPost

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 18:22   #2

Re: Women on Waves

I think they need to add "Pills" to the end of the title, I had some disturbing images before reading the article....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 18:39   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Some fat cat needs to give them a bigger boat. Maybe a mothballled US Navy ship...
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 18:56   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I guess if He-Who-Can-Not-Be-Named succeeds in his campaign promises, we’ll be seeing the ship off the coast the bastion of person freedom.

My little boat is 36’ 9” … where do I sign up .
Old 05-05-2017, 20:26   #5

Boat: Peterson 34

Mexico is mostly catholic. Abortion is illegal almost everywhere but you can buy the morning after pill for $4 OTC but some pharmacies don't carry it. I'm surprised no one in this group has been arrested and deported. Mexico is just a slightly nicer version of Venezuela. It is not a place to joke around especially with issues like this. Mexico declares their exclusive economic zone to be something ridiculous like 200 miles offshore just like the US. What's disgusting is the constant news every single week about hours old babies being thrown in the trash. It's a daily occurrence in all the big cities. I once read a Mexican newspaper talking about them finding a recently birthed fetus being abandoned in a toilet in a nightclub. You'd be hard pressed to find a more corrupt bureaucratic country on the planet. The politicians there even steal the toilet paper and wheel chairs. Take a look at the Javier Duarte video where they show all the junk they found in his storage locker.
SailsTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 20:45   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I was once approached by Lawyers who asked if I would be interested in purchasing and converting a cruise ship into a Hospital Ship
Was really interested at first till I found out that the main reason behind the Canadian Registry and my License was to sell Citizenship via the rather large maternity ward
I of course declined
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:37   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailsTeam View Post
Mexico is mostly catholic. Abortion is illegal almost everywhere but you can buy the morning after pill for $4 OTC but some pharmacies don't carry it. I'm surprised no one in this group has been arrested and deported. Mexico is just a slightly nicer version of Venezuela. It is not a place to joke around especially with issues like this. Mexico declares their exclusive economic zone to be something ridiculous like 200 miles offshore just like the US. What's disgusting is the constant news every single week about hours old babies being thrown in the trash. It's a daily occurrence in all the big cities. I once read a Mexican newspaper talking about them finding a recently birthed fetus being abandoned in a toilet in a nightclub. You'd be hard pressed to find a more corrupt bureaucratic country on the planet. The politicians there even steal the toilet paper and wheel chairs. Take a look at the Javier Duarte video where they show all the junk they found in his storage locker.
wow now we have new fake news out of mexico-- where you reading this--in usa papers??? funny how nothing in this vein makes mexican sensationalist rags and they print everything dramatic and sensationalistic they can find.

perhaps some folks need to go sailing and get heads out of the fake news printed daily and as they see fit.
there is a huge difference between venezula and mexico-- first off--vene is a failed state. totally corrupted and fail. overregulation caused total failure.
mexico is still growing and producing viable products. you might want to get to know someplace before trashing it.
there is corruption in all govts. mexico has obvious corruption, but usa has more and hidden.
a better comparison to vene would be the condition of usa -- over-regulation and failed production.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:11   #8

Boat: Ganley Shadow 34 -Steel sloop for bluewater cruising.

Another misleading headline. It should indeed say "pills". It's a brilliant idea. Bravo to those helping people caught up in such a predicament.
indiana_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:43   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

This is clearly just a political and awareness effort and Zenevich basically admitted as much. They could hand the pills to the person anywhere on land with the same outcome. Yes they'd be breaking the law, but the chances of being caught are I expect vanishingly small.

I suppose that if the authorities follow-up on outcomes and actually charge women for taking the pill, when there is medical evidence that they did, that having some documentation that you were out of the country at some point around when the pill would have been taken that you'd have some measure of legal defense, but I would doubt that women get pursued in that way after the fact. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:02   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailsTeam View Post
... What's disgusting is the constant news every single week about hours old babies being thrown in the trash. It's a daily occurrence in all the big cities. I once read a Mexican newspaper talking about them finding a recently birthed fetus being abandoned in a toilet in a nightclub...
No one has claimed baby found dead in Thunder Bay, Ont., 3 years after her death - Thunder Bay - CBC News

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:33   #11

Apart from any issues of pill or no pill, legal or illegal, boat or no boat, Zenevich did refer to a universal law we all know:

"...[people] with money can always access safe service. It’s the poor [people]........... that really suffer the burden of restrictive laws.”

You can apply that to any situation you like, and it's not getting any better.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:03   #12

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I guess if He-Who-Can-Not-Be-Named succeeds in his campaign promises, we’ll be seeing the ship off the coast the bastion of person freedom.

My little boat is 36’ 9” … where do I sign up .
It's so embarrassing. When I go north this summer is going to be one continuous apology tour
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:13   #13

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
Apart from any issues of pill or no pill, legal or illegal, boat or no boat, Zenevich did refer to a universal law we all know:

"...[people] with money can always access safe service. It’s the poor [people]........... that really suffer the burden of restrictive laws.”

You can apply that to any situation you like, and it's not getting any better.
I once took a group of Criminal Justice students from a local university on a tour of Florida State Prison, location of Death Row and the infamous Sparky (electric chair).

We went in the final cell where inmates are placed prior to.. And there we found a quote on the wall "Life is like a sh-t sandwich. The more bread you have the less sh-t you have to eat."

Please, this isn't a pro or anti death statement but merely pointing out the views of someone with little "bread" and the dire predicament he was in. Which, of course, ties in with the meaning of this thread.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:25   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I was once approached by Lawyers who asked if I would be interested in purchasing and converting a cruise ship into a Hospital Ship
Was really interested at first till I found out that the main reason behind the Canadian Registry and my License was to sell Citizenship via the rather large maternity ward
I of course declined
Hi.

Your post sparked my curiosity. And on this topic I admit ignorance. So, I hope you will share something more so I can learn.

Is the nationality of a newborn influenced by the ship's (and captain's) registry, over that of the mother? So, it is a matter of location of birth (e.g. On a Canadian Flagged vessel operating in Canadian waters with a Canadian captain) AND the registry of the boat and captain?

Does that boat have to operate in certain areas for it to matter (international waters versus territorial waters)? I assume that if the baby was born in a boat that is operating within territorial waters it might be claimed it was born in that country, even if it was on a boat offshore. Is that correct?

Are you aware of any boats that do this anywhere in the world today?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:31   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

As a method, I think it is very stupid. The local govt will simply ban or disable the boat now. To be effective, you would want to keep it very low profile. So it cannot be about what it seems at first sight.

The good point is trying to raise awareness. I believe this is their actual aim. But an externalized awareness tends to do little to solve local problems. Local problems are always best solved locally / by the interested party taking things in their own hands. Yes, I mean like the great Russian and French revolutions.

But I am a guy so I just shut up now. How could I know. I will read posts by female members here with most interest.

Love,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men