Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-07-2010, 11:43   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
i use sprint broadband dial up card for 70 dollars per month unlimited and no hidden fees. works well in usvi, usa, most places i have sailed is good --better than wifi----as long as there is a cell tower in sight or close by, it works...sometimes better , sometimes worse than my cell phone.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 12:40   #17

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
Long range WIFI solutions

USB Adapters

Original cost $40-80 depending on power. Ongoing cost = 0

or, Port Networks: Services for $28/month

or, MWB-200 Marine Wireless Bridge initial cost $399, ongoing = 0

Old 29-07-2010, 12:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar07 View Post
Wireless Internet is an easy way to access the internet without the need for a landline. It allows you to stay in touch whilst being on the move. It is easy to setup and plug. Sometimes connectivity get drops but it's better option on move.

Wow...you learn something every day.
Old 29-07-2010, 13:04   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

there are some wifi systems without the marine label mark up of 400 percent on amazon. folks i know have been using them and get good results in mexico and usa.

and , when wifi is FREE in many places, why pay such a very high amount of money?? i am not understanding this spamlike substance. the marinas many choose to use come with free wifi-is no reason to spend many dollars for service that is totally free. in a marina, pay the rent, get the code. works for me! doesnt cost 1195.00usd either. or even 10 dollars. sorry--fall for these scams and you lose .... but is only money, so it doesnt matter!!!!

i never did find a pricing list fo rthe usb adapters--but , as hey say,if you cannot afford it, dont go there--lol---so many lesser priced functional items in this world--isnt a costly procedure to MAKE an antenna---i have friends who have done that!!

what is, is the sprint card for dial up broadband is less expensive han the spam posted above--sorry , folks, is fact--enjoy and have fun--THERE IS NO NEED FOR HIGHLY PRICED STUFF IN THIS TECHNOLOGY. here is already stuff out there that works for much less cost.

there is free wifi to all out there--is a matter of being in range to pick it up--longest range of antennas i found say 2 miles. fact is less than 1 mile. these antennas cost less than 50 dollars.
seek and ye shall find!!!!
Old 29-07-2010, 13:22   #20

Bought the EUB 362 EXT back in 2007 for $70 and still using it. It is now discontinued, but can still get it on Ebay for $40. Works up to XP.

I also bought the EUB 9603 H a month ago for the new laptop that came with Windows 7. Cost $70 on Ebay.

Zeehag is right. Get the code or find an unlocked network and save the monthly charges for other things.
Old 29-07-2010, 13:46   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"It was v...e...r...y.....s...l...o....w....... It kept dropping the connection. "
When you dial into an analog modem pool (dialup to any ISP) the modems require an analog connection to work properly. Usually they will tolerate one digital conversion in the line--with some speed loss--but when you try to make that call over a cell phone, which today is almost always a digital cell phone system, the analog modems fall back to slow speeds or fail completely. If they are working at 9600bps throughput on a cell phone call you are lucky. That's compared to 56000bps for a real dial-up on landline phones and about 1/100th as fast as a typical DSL connection. OK for the occasional short email, but totally obsolete compared to any real cellular data connection today.

And fwiw, cellular data conections vary widely in speed, too. Boost Nextel (prepaid) is cheap--but slow. The major carriers may suppost three or four different systems and speeds depending on what your phone is, some as slow as dialup, some as fast as cable. TMobile has some great deals, Sprint has some good deals, and the reason they are offering the good deals is because they can't get the market share that AT&T and Verizon have, because they don't provide the same coverage. Still, it is enough to keep may people happy, at lower rates.
Old 29-07-2010, 14:10   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"TMobile has some great deals, Sprint has some good deals, and the reason they are offering the good deals is because they can't get the market share that AT&T and Verizon have, because they don't provide the same coverage. Still, it is enough to keep may people happy, at lower rates."

sprint pays verizon for its roaming--and , with the broadband card, when unlimited, has zero hidden charges, verizon charges data transfer fees sprint's unlimited service doesnt charge for --i found my sprint card has same restrictions in area of service verizon does. hate to say it but sprint has gotten some better. i have had sprint unfortunately m since 2001. i have had broadband card since 2005 when i got first lappy. big coverage changes for the better and roaming thru verizon has helped a lot--i got good service in usvi, my friends have good service in mexico---i had good service in gulf of mexico while cruising there--even had service in white city, fla, for a time...there are many programs out there--have to choose and shop wisely or the price per month grows swiftly to 500 dollars, as the data usage blossoms. chat,im, pix, all that make a difference. with the unlimited service, there are no data transfer fees at all. makes a difference.

folks have ignored sprint for long time as has been thought to be the goat of cell service--but they have advanced in the past 5yrs. you would be surprised.
they sometimes even have concern for their customer base...wow--didnt before 2 yrs ago.

thankyou sailing monica--folks dont get richer by spending on retail pricing.i was always taught by a multimillionaire sage lady that one should never pay retail. never. she was sooo right.
we have boats--we wont get richer that way, either--but we CAN save money for boat repairs by not falling into the retail plus 400percent pit!.
anything saved will go nicely into the boat with room left over for more!!

gotta say this about signal speeds--lol--varies greatly in same location- just be happy to have the service if you tend to be in places that donot tend to have regular service. places with free wifi state that it is a right to have free wifi--but isnt a RIGHT to have service in the first place. good luck.

if you have a wifi antenna--check around for open signals--there are some--not locked. the ones in the marinas are locked but free to the renters. libraries have unlocked wifi and sometimes one is able to sit outside and filch signals --same goes for airports and some hotels. not motels--hotels.-the signal should reach about 1/2 mile. does from marriott....i am just over 1/2 mi from them.
Old 29-07-2010, 14:18   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

z-
I've heard fewer complaints about Sprint but I've also seen their churn numbers. They're still losing customers and having market share problems, and apparently there is no way for them to integrate the old Nextel system users without requiring all new phones for those customers. Who include many government accounts where they are just not going to buy new phones at any price.

Apparently "4G" is scheduled to be WiMax/GSM for all the carriers, so perhaps roaming will be less of an issue for Sprint customers as/when the other carriers migrate to 4G as well. But something keeps their churn rate (customers quit and are replaced by new ones) high and they're still desperate for market share. Cheap is good but even being cheaper, they're not taking market share. Their early 4G buildout is a major investment and gamble for them.
Old 30-07-2010, 21:33   #24

Boat: Lagoon 44
Wireless in Adriatic

A little off topic perhaps but does anyone have experience tethering their iphone to the laptop? I'll be within 200 metres of shore but wondering whether I will require a signal boost to get reception.
Any input gratefully received.
Old 30-07-2010, 23:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if you have a wifi antenna--check around for open signals--there are some--not locked. the ones in the marinas are locked but free to the renters. libraries have unlocked wifi and sometimes one is able to sit outside and filch signals --same goes for airports and some hotels. not motels--hotels.-the signal should reach about 1/2 mile. does from marriott....i am just over 1/2 mi from them.
I use a Yagi antenna. I cut open a USB adapter and soldered the antenna to it. Plug the USB adapter in and you can get up to about 5 miles. I know a web site that makes them already made up but I have to find it. You might google cantina antenna they make them also. The yagi antenna they make is a little brass one that comes in three pieces you can just snap together Yagi USB antenna 17dbi Modular Brass 2.4ghz 802.11b 802.11g

Dan
Old 30-07-2010, 23:05   #26
Ita

Boat: CAL 29
Does anyone uses Metro PCS?
Ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 11:50   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jamie-
Apple would prefer you to buy a "picocell", a small cellular repeater/booster for your iPhone, if you need stronger signal. About $350 US. They omit the external antenna connection that so many older phones offered. Whether you can tether at all depends on your carrier. Some allow it, others block it, others surcharge if they think you are doing it. If your carrier blocks it, some people "jailbreak" their phone and do it anyhow.
Old 31-07-2010, 13:19   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
... some people "jailbreak" their phone and do it anyhow.
On July 25, 2010, it was announced that the Library of Congress, in its capacity of ruling on the extent of copyright protections, ruled that jailbreaking your iPhone is explicitly a permitted fair use under the DMCA.

Copyright Office: Jailbreaking an iPhone is Fair Use | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 13:54   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It still requires unauthorized and unsupported modification to the firmware in the phone, Gord. And sometimes when people jailbreak a phone, it becomes a brick--which the carrier can then refuse to fix.

That hasn't changed, no matter what the LibCong has to say about copyrights. Whether a brick "must" be fixed and whether that will be under warranty or not is a matter of contract law and "abuse" or "unintended use" from the carrier's point of view, so jailbreaking a phone still carries some threat (real or imaginary) or turning a perfectly good phone into a brick.
Old 31-07-2010, 16:07   #30

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I have a Verizon Droid X that will serve as a wifi hub on their 3g network. Verizon still allows unlimited network usage unlike AT&T who now charge based on use. Multiple users can attach to the phone network. Of course it only works if I have 3g connection.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: