Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-04-2013, 08:06   #46

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22
Re: Winter Boating Sucks!

Hi:

-12C here this morning, club launch is just under 5 weeks away. I have no notion of launching before July, if at all this season. Don't tell my wife I said that.

Sure makes it hard to work on the boat. For some reason, epoxy and polyester is a little slow at these temperatures. So am I ...

In truth, am am happy with air temperature of 0C, provided there is sun. Under the tarp in the afternoon I get a gain of at least 15 or 20 degrees. Unfortunately, no sun yet this year.

Boulter

Old 02-04-2013, 09:11   #47

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Winter Boating Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
apart from the dinghy episode,(that is now sorted),i have lost 2 days that i otherwise would have been doing the final fitout on the macwester.

imagine my distress arriving at the boat with happy thoughts of turning on the heater,examining my perfect varnish work,fitting all the catches on the newly finished lockers,wiring and fitting the light switches,plumbing in the stove.

all in the cosy environment inside the boat...........to be faced with the prospect of having to jump off the dock into 2 foot of mud in the freezing wind before the tide rose!

this is what it looks like at low tide!
I feel yer pain bruddah.

Me: My yacht is 14 days to splash and I'm sitting here in comfy armchair in middle of day.

You: taking nice pic from the after sundeck of yer giant alloy yacht!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:22   #48

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: winter boating sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Me too! I toured Brittany from St Malo to Lorient around New Year's day. I went cruising again for one week in February. The weather was dry and cold for the area (0C / 32F to 8C / 46F during the day).
Funny... we call this summer sailing up here on Lake Superior .

I just wish I could be complaining about winter sailing. I can't even see the water yet, and my little home/shack is right on the shore of the Big Lake. The Seaway is now open though, so the ice breakers are at work, and the big ships are starting to move. Should only be a month or so now before I can feel water under the keel.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:22   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
apart from the dinghy episode,(that is now sorted),i have lost 2 days that i otherwise would have been doing the final fitout on the macwester.

imagine my distress arriving at the boat with happy thoughts of turning on the heater,examining my perfect varnish work,fitting all the catches on the newly finished lockers,wiring and fitting the light switches,plumbing in the stove.

all in the cosy environment inside the boat...........to be faced with the prospect of having to jump off the dock into 2 foot of mud in the freezing wind before the tide rose!
Oh, Atoll, along with Crabby, I do feel your pain .
Two foot of mud sounds pretty awful regardless of the temperature.

Ever considered Crete? No mud in sight and I am swimming here off the back of the boat again at the moment .
Old 02-04-2013, 09:51   #50

Boat: Moccasins and pony

Bummer. I always wonder what I'll find when I return to the boat after some time away. Is the outboard running?

Being a farmer, I have to get a bulk of my sailing in during cold weather. Took the family out for "spring" break sail last week. I think my wife rather enjoyed watching me take one wave after another to the face when motoring to windward one morning, hiding from a gale.

My 14 year old son was looking forward to a cool weather sail, he prefers it to the heat of the summer. None of it really bothers me until you have to get into the water or mud like you atoll, but a wet cockpit can be brutal if not properly dressed.

Several different friends or family went to London last week, all groused and moaned about the frigid temps. My daughter and her boyfriend are both serious footballers, no whining from them and he got a new puffy Chelsea jacket out of the deal.

Boatman, the Carbon Monoxide thing is terrible. Poor family. Wonder if it was just a dumb oversight, or an overestimation of ventilation in their boat? My son slept in the quarter berth last week with at least one hatch board removed on the coldest night.

Frost on the decks can be treacherous, and getting the diesel started not so easy, but I agree that winter is a special time out there in the right conditions. Not that I'm antisocial, but I do like having all the anchorages to myself too. And the oyster beds. Gathering oysters is cold as hell, but the grill, warm cabin, and wine always make up for it.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:59   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Oh, Atoll, along with Crabby, I do feel your pain .
Two foot of mud sounds pretty awful regardless of the temperature.

Ever considered Crete? No mud in sight and I am swimming here off the back of the boat again at the moment .
being based out of larnaca cyprus for 10 years it is probably not such a bad thing we headed back to the uk given the current situation there!

though i do miss wandering around in shorts and tshirts in january!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:03   #52
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

sail to latitude 17.enjoy the locale and perfect weather. sail more south for summer...

your bucket will appreciate it....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:22   #53

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

atoll, I feel your pain! We have had to use a sheet at night down here in the BVI's.
Old 02-04-2013, 20:30   #54

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Winter Boating Sucks!

It's hell here: 50-65+ daily. I heard a mosquito today.

Do you worldwide posters even know what a mosquito is?

Old 02-04-2013, 20:39   #55

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
When I lived in Fairbanks a mosquito grabbed my little brother and flew away with him. Finally dropped him in Nenana an hour later missing most of his hemoglobin.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:46   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post
atoll, I feel your pain! We have had to use a sheet at night down here in the BVI's.
it won't be long before those tropical waves start coming through,then that sheet will be handy for mopping up sweat and swatting mosquitoes
Old 03-04-2013, 07:56   #57
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

omg had a skeeter last night--it died...but my ear was smashed by my paw first.....

i had to resort to using a sheet to cover me--temp got all the way down to 67 or 70 or some sub warmth zone temp--dang i am adapting well here.......

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boating

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: