Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 08:49   #1

Boat: Maxum 4100 SCA, 41 feet
WiFi rebroadcaster

Wasn't sure where to put this. Here is my issue. I am in a marina that has OK WiFi. Problem is every time I want to use it I have to put in a username and password. PIA! Is there a rebroadcaster that I can program in the username and password the rebroadcast the signal for my devices to automatically recognize?
Thanks in advance!
Scott
Gregorys6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:00   #2

Re: WiFi rebroadcaster

Does it timeout after a certain amount of time of inactivity?
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:07   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

yes look for a keepalive app that just sends out a ping packet often enough so the wifi doesn't log you out.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 13:38   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Our local provider will take a MAC address (by phone call, for example) and add it to their "no login/password needed" list. Works like a champ.

-Chris
Old 06-07-2017, 13:43   #5

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorys6601 View Post
Wasn't sure where to put this. Here is my issue. I am in a marina that has OK WiFi. Problem is every time I want to use it I have to put in a username and password. PIA! Is there a rebroadcaster that I can program in the username and password the rebroadcast the signal for my devices to automatically recognize?
Thanks in advance!
Scott

Rogue Wave - Wave WiFi Products, Yacht WiFi System Florida

I love mine
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 13:48   #6

Not as slick as the Roguewave but a workable and inexpensive solution would be to place one of these: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds up high on your boat and plug the ethernet cable into your PC.
mohave_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 14:06   #7
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

These hardware solutions are good for extended range, but unless they have a keepalive feature built in, the source access point will still timeout the login.

Chris' idea is a good one if the AP has that feature and the marina's ICT guy is willing. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 14:29   #8

If the marina's you visit have the ability and are willing to "whitelist" your MAC that is wonderful. That would be the simplest route.

I took the OP's question was how to accommodate the login process with a device that will extend range.

Some of the "Repeaters" out there do not let you see the portal page to login. The Ubiquiti solution is fairly simple, cheap and works well.
Old 06-07-2017, 14:56   #9

Boat: Maxum 4100 SCA, 41 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohave_steve View Post
If the marina's you visit have the ability and are willing to "whitelist" your MAC that is wonderful. That would be the simplest route.

I took the OP's question was how to accommodate the login process with a device that will extend range.

Some of the "Repeaters" out there do not let you see the portal page to login. The Ubiquiti solution is fairly simple, cheap and works well.
Right, it is that portal login page that is a pain. I am going to ask about adding MAC address first. Then that connectivity software.

Thanks all!
Gregorys6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 16:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
These hardware solutions are good for extended range, but unless they have a keepalive feature built in, the source access point will still timeout the login.

Chris' idea is a good one if the AP has that feature and the marina's ICT guy is willing. . .
the rouge does, saves several and logs in for you automatically
Old 06-07-2017, 17:33   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
the rouge does, saves several and logs in for you automatically
The RougeWave looks pretty slick. I looked at it a while back and saw some mixed reviews when it comes to WiFi systems that require sign in. How has yours worked for you?
Old 07-07-2017, 04:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohave_steve View Post
The RougeWave looks pretty slick. I looked at it a while back and saw some mixed reviews when it comes to WiFi systems that require sign in. How has yours worked for you?

It has a page that you save in your browser, in that browser you can input user and pw for 10 or so hotspots. I mark the best one as "favorite" so as soon as I pull in and power up it automatically hooks up to it. It is a very simple solution. Anything like this you also have to understand alot of the users have no basic skillls, so they struggle and poo all over it. I can build computers and networks, have dealt with the ubiquity bullets (helped another in the marina) etc. etc. I like the rouge as it is one integrated piece. The price probably would have had me go another route, but the boat I bought had it on it already. I am glad it did. Once set up, my wife can even use it. If you have several devices and your marina only gives you one key, this bypasses that to let you log in with as many as you like as well. I can reach out quite a ways. I used to get alot of free wifi from peoples houses, but they are finally learning to secure their routers.

Tags
wifi