Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 10:04   #1

Why you should never give up on dreams.

Hi Everyone, I'm back.

You may remember me from a couple of years ago when I posted what some deemed a "crazy ad/story." It was about a dream of having a sailboat and spoke of finding someone who had a sailboat they no longer used or had the time to take care of. It was a story of a man (me) who dreamed of sailing but didn't have the money to buy a boat but had the dream in his heart and the belief his vision would be realized and the story of another man who understood that dream and had the boat that was no longer able to be loved as she should be, and was willing to give her to someone who would love her and take her back where she belonged, on the sea. Many of the members on here heckled, posted negative comments and cynical remarks, but I didn't care. I believed.

Just after I posted the ad, all of my family died one after the other in a period of less than 18 months. When that all started, I had other things to consider and did not check here for any updates as other more important things were going on in my life. After everyone passed away, I myself gave up on life. I was ready to die, had no hope for any future, had lost all hopes of any dreams I had, and lost everything. And then, when I was at the bottom of the sea, in the darkest place one can ever go, I found the answer. It has nothing to do with religion, self help seminars, whacky schemes, or other common ideas. It has to do with knowing what the truth is.

Today, when I logged onto my account, I found that post is long gone, but in my PM message box was a message from someone who wanted to give me a beautiful, sturdy, ready to sail boat. He wrote...

"I may have just what you need. 19-- ???????? 34'. She is a beauty. Strong and reliable. Your story is so close to our reality, that I thought...... "???????" would be happy with someone like you."

Reading the message brought tears to my eyes, not because I missed an opportunity, but because my vision had been answered, and my dream realized, just as I knew they would be when I posted the ad. Had things not happened the way they did, I would be on that boat right now. However, I would not have learned the lessons I learned and would not have understood the true meaning of life, nor would I be here right now to write this post.

If you have a vision or a dream, never stop believing in it, never let anyone stand in the way between you and your dream. There is a power that exists, and once you access it, all is yours. This I know.

I am going to write the same ad again (or as close to it as I can remember) and this time, I will be here when the answer comes.

NearLifeXpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:55   #2

Boat: S2 8.0B
Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your family. It's true when your not looking, that sailboat will be in front of you when the time is right. Not sure where you live but I see boats for free and near free on Craigslist . They are really never free!
I came across my S2 8.0 and paid $1000.00 for her. Needs some work, but I'm working on her. My first sailboat, lots to learn. I have never sailed before, but just working on her and the day dreams of sailing to different places is great.
Goal is to have her ready around the end of March or April.
If I run across a free sailboat, I can forward the link to you. If it the right one and the timing is right , go for it.
Tim Jurich
Stay in touch
timtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:57   #3

how can you not afford a sailboat in this market? there are 30 to 35 footers everywhere for less than 10,000 dollars. what happened to working hard and saving money ? are you incapable of working?
scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:05   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I think your original thread could be found if you did a really thorough search. Scoundrel is starting the derision again so I hope you have thick skin.

I wish you luck. There is a large steel boat here being given away but would require a great deal of energy to pull it out of the water and make repairs from going aground.

kind regards,
Old 12-02-2013, 11:08   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

glad you found your starting point...smooth sailing...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:20   #6

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

I found myself almost wondering about my "right" to live when my three older brothers died . . . all before 61, each older than the previous one to die and with me waiting to turn 62 so I could retire.

I was always certain that the next shoe was about to fall . . . it hasn't . . . so far.

I hope you get through the heebeejeebies and get on with life.

Get your boat and enjoy it.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:32   #7

I recently came across a thread that may have been yours, I'm not sure. It seemed a few years old but yet people were continuing to post what IMHO were incredibly negative, hurtful, sarcastic and really unnecessary comments. Thankfully there are awesome, funny, open-minded, compassionate, helpful people here too or I'd have signed off long ago.

I am constantly amazed at how life changes in a instant and how we are lucky and should be grateful for what we have, not feel that we are somehow deserving or entitled to it. Life is not fair to most and nobody should be shamed for asking for what they need or want.

I really wanted to say I was I'm sorry to hear of your tremendous losses over the past few years and thank-you for posting about your experience and to encourage others to keep dreaming. I'm sure you will be lucky and find another generous soul to help you realize your dreams. With a little more luck, perhaps folks will be able to hold their pen this time and not share their negative judgements and cynicism over your simple request.

Yeah, I'm a dreamer too!

Good luck!
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:38   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

for other dreamers seeking a clb with character and potential that has functioning engine and is in a gorgeous place, here in zihuatenejo there is a cute lil boat--32 mariner..for sale by owner who does charters here on a huge catamaran named picante...the clb is darling and has a perkins that functions--he takes her out fishing with his kids and family, but now has discovered he has vertigo and cannot feel safe sailing his monohull anymore. he want sunder 10k usd for her..she is worthy of that....classic lil cruiser for pocket cruising....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:58   #9

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome back to the forum, my condolences for your loss. I am sorry that there are some folks here that can only come down on the negative side of things, however, I think it is probably fairly represenative of the population at large. Never let the other guy do your thinking for you. As we say around here "f**k 'em and feed 'em fish". If you believe what you need will come to you.
Old 12-02-2013, 13:42   #10

Boat: Dehler 41 Cr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearLifeXpert View Post
Hi Everyone, I'm back.

You may remember me from a couple of years ago when I posted what some deemed a "crazy ad/story." It was about a dream of having a sailboat and spoke of finding someone who had a sailboat they no longer used or had the time to take care of. It was a story of a man (me) who dreamed of sailing but didn't have the money to buy a boat but had the dream in his heart and the belief his vision would be realized and the story of another man who understood that dream and had the boat that was no longer able to be loved as she should be, and was willing to give her to someone who would love her and take her back where she belonged, on the sea. Many of the members on here heckled, posted negative comments and cynical remarks, but I didn't care. I believed.

Just after I posted the ad, all of my family died one after the other in a period of less than 18 months. When that all started, I had other things to consider and did not check here for any updates as other more important things were going on in my life. After everyone passed away, I myself gave up on life. I was ready to die, had no hope for any future, had lost all hopes of any dreams I had, and lost everything. And then, when I was at the bottom of the sea, in the darkest place one can ever go, I found the answer. It has nothing to do with religion, self help seminars, whacky schemes, or other common ideas. It has to do with knowing what the truth is.

Today, when I logged onto my account, I found that post is long gone, but in my PM message box was a message from someone who wanted to give me a beautiful, sturdy, ready to sail boat. He wrote...

"I may have just what you need. 19-- ???????? 34'. She is a beauty. Strong and reliable. Your story is so close to our reality, that I thought...... "???????" would be happy with someone like you."

Reading the message brought tears to my eyes, not because I missed an opportunity, but because my vision had been answered, and my dream realized, just as I knew they would be when I posted the ad. Had things not happened the way they did, I would be on that boat right now. However, I would not have learned the lessons I learned and would not have understood the true meaning of life, nor would I be here right now to write this post.

If you have a vision or a dream, never stop believing in it, never let anyone stand in the way between you and your dream. There is a power that exists, and once you access it, all is yours. This I know.

I am going to write the same ad again (or as close to it as I can remember) and this time, I will be here when the answer comes.

Hey buddy, you are so right. You are never to old to stop dreaming. I wish you the best and good luck on your dreams.

Captain G.
Captain G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 01:25   #11

First of all, thank you kind, loving, and awesome people here. I am grateful to all of you for your kind words.

Yes, in my previous thread I was torn apart, yet I achieved the dream regardless. Some people read my posts and they think I have nothing to give, that I am some kind of beggar, but in fact I have everything to give, but only those who are open to it will have the capacity to ask for it, or receive it.

Right now I can offer someone the opportunity of a lifetime, to bring their luxury Catamaran or Mono-hull to the Maldives and do charters for two of the biggest 5 star hotels there with the opportunity to expand to more. I can also offer a ground floor opportunity to anyone who wants to start a yacht charter business there, with no competition. Something like Sunsail or The Moorings does not exist in The Maldives. Yes, there are charters for surfing and diving but they are huge bulky cruise ship types of boats. There are only one or two sailing yachts there that I know of doing yacht/sailing tours and I have the connections there to help anyone who would like to bring their yacht(s) in and live a dream. I am a frequent visitor to the Maldives and know the territory.

A friend of mine (Maldivian) already has an excursion company there and is already doing activities with these two major hotels. He has all the legal means to import/export goods and services there. It is a totally untapped market. Oh wait... As I type this I just received a reply from one of the 5 star hotels asking me for a proposal for tours to offer their guests. As I don't have a yacht of my own at this moment in time, that doesn't mean I should let the opportunity pass for selfish reasons when I could offer the opportunity to someone else who IS in the position right now to take advantage of such a great opportunity. I have the connections if anyone is interested.

So, yes... I have something to give.

Anyone with a Luxury Cat (40 feet+) or Mono hull (50 feet+) can contact me for details. I will be more than happy to help you through the door to the Maldives. All you have to do is ask.

I regards to anyone else who would post any sort of negative statement I can only say I love you too, and say before you click that "Submit Reply" button have the awareness to look inward first. I don't believe the world is built on lack, limitation, impossibility, and restriction. I simply know otherwise. There are hundreds of thousands of sailboats in the USA alone, one beauty is all I need. For every dream, a realization exists. The size of the dream in not a consideration. Your belief of what is possible is limited only by you, and nobody else. I have removed all limitation from my life, therefore I think big, I dream big. Why would I dream small? I don't want a boat that is "ready to sink" or someones nightmare, or discard, neglect, or collection of negative thoughts and beliefs. I can have whatever I ask for, and I want something that represents, love, joy, harmony, positivity, dreams, and adventure, and most important... spirit! Then I've got a real story to tell, everywhere I go, every port I stop in. The story of a dream brought to life.

I know now that not only is someone going to give me their yacht, but it is going to be an awesome one far beyond what I initially imagined and for one simple reason, I have a purpose for it, a destination, a goal, and the spirit of a dream. That's all I need.
Old 13-02-2013, 02:28   #12

Boat: Baltic 38DP

I wish you the best of luck. But this all sounds rather weird, (and I'm being kind).

First, this was about getting a small boat for free so you can realize your dream. Several years later you log on and find this boat has been given to you. You post a thankful note - but as far as I can tell you haven't even seen this boat yet nor taken delivery.

Less than a day later, you get a mail from a 5-star hotel to organise tours for them with a luxury catamaran. And now you are begging (no other word for it I am afraid) for owners of a $1 million yacht to hand it over because you are a dreamer who dreams big. What ever happened to the small dream that you were so thankful for yesterday? Why are you not flying/driving out to take delivery of this boat and posting some happy pics and showing us how you are going to fix it up?

It seems you live on a different planet than I do. I would be over the moon with such a generous gift. I would shout it from the roof tops. I would not keep the name of the boat secret. I would put the guy/gal who gave it to me on a bloody pedestal. I suppose they conveniently "want to remain anonymous". And frankly, if I had given you the boat I would retract my offer since you seem more interested in getting your hands on a big luxury boat.

Condolences on the loss of your family.

Last piece of advice: dreaming big is fine. Realising a dream, however small, is much better.

All the best.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 03:15   #13

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Exclamation Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearLifeXpert View Post
First of all, thank you kind, loving, and awesome people here. I am grateful to all of you for your kind words.

Yes, in my previous thread I was torn apart, yet I achieved the dream regardless. Some people read my posts and they think I have nothing to give, that I am some kind of beggar, but in fact I have everything to give, but only those who are open to it will have the capacity to ask for it, or receive it.

Right now I can offer someone the opportunity of a lifetime, to bring their luxury Catamaran or Mono-hull to the Maldives and do charters for two of the biggest 5 star hotels there with the opportunity to expand to more. I can also offer a ground floor opportunity to anyone who wants to start a yacht charter business there, with no competition. Something like Sunsail or The Moorings does not exist in The Maldives. Yes, there are charters for surfing and diving but they are huge bulky cruise ship types of boats. There are only one or two sailing yachts there that I know of doing yacht/sailing tours and I have the connections there to help anyone who would like to bring their yacht(s) in and live a dream. I am a frequent visitor to the Maldives and know the territory.

A friend of mine (Maldivian) already has an excursion company there and is already doing activities with these two major hotels. He has all the legal means to import/export goods and services there. It is a totally untapped market. Oh wait... As I type this I just received a reply from one of the 5 star hotels asking me for a proposal for tours to offer their guests. As I don't have a yacht of my own at this moment in time, that doesn't mean I should let the opportunity pass for selfish reasons when I could offer the opportunity to someone else who IS in the position right now to take advantage of such a great opportunity. I have the connections if anyone is interested.

So, yes... I have something to give.

Anyone with a Luxury Cat (40 feet+) or Mono hull (50 feet+) can contact me for details. I will be more than happy to help you through the door to the Maldives. All you have to do is ask.

I regards to anyone else who would post any sort of negative statement I can only say I love you too, and say before you click that "Submit Reply" button have the awareness to look inward first. I don't believe the world is built on lack, limitation, impossibility, and restriction. I simply know otherwise. There are hundreds of thousands of sailboats in the USA alone, one beauty is all I need. For every dream, a realization exists. The size of the dream in not a consideration. Your belief of what is possible is limited only by you, and nobody else. I have removed all limitation from my life, therefore I think big, I dream big. Why would I dream small? I don't want a boat that is "ready to sink" or someones nightmare, or discard, neglect, or collection of negative thoughts and beliefs. I can have whatever I ask for, and I want something that represents, love, joy, harmony, positivity, dreams, and adventure, and most important... spirit! Then I've got a real story to tell, everywhere I go, every port I stop in. The story of a dream brought to life.

I know now that not only is someone going to give me their yacht, but it is going to be an awesome one far beyond what I initially imagined and for one simple reason, I have a purpose for it, a destination, a goal, and the spirit of a dream. That's all I need.
WARNING WARNING I may be wrong but I feel very strongly that this could be a SCAM !!

If proved wrong then I apologise in advance.

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 03:28   #14

Well... obviously the boat is gone, I missed that opportunity. It was 2 years ago. Even so, yesterday I called the guy to thank him for his kind gesture (yes, 2 years later) but no answer, so I left a message on his machine expressing my gratitude and thanks. If the boat were available I would have done exactly as you described, back-flips included. But the world kept on turning, didn't it?

A beggar has nothing to offer in return, nothing to give back.

Things changed, new things are being created every single second. Opportunities come and go. I say and do what I want because only "I" control my life, my destiny, my dreams, my visions. You can say whatever you want, but I don't limit myself to the ideas or opinions of others. I have one answer for you, I love you too, fellow passenger on the good ship "Life" and if there is anything I can do for you or any way I can be of service to you, just ask.

If I get a yacht or not makes no difference. I had an opportunity in The Maldives come my way, since I am not in a position to take it, I'm offering to help someone who can. I'm not asking anyone to give me there $1,000,000 yacht.

Thanks for your "advice" but it pertains only to you, and your own way of thinking.
Old 13-02-2013, 03:28   #15

Egotastic!
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote