Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2013, 11:39   #121
Wayfaring Mariner
 
captain58sailin's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Homer, AK is my home port
Boat: Skookum 53'
Posts: 4,045
Images: 5
Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

If you can't find some joy in the work that you do, then you shouldn't waste your life doing it, unless you have no other options. While I begrudge the time away from my boat, I still enjoy my job, and when on my boat there is no end to the projects, and I enjoy putting my time and energy into it and get a sense of satisfaction from making the vessel into what I perceive the ideal boat to be for me. I do not care if the people down the dock were handed their vessel on a silver platter, that is not my concern. I am happy for them.
__________________

__________________
" Wisdom; is your reward for surviving your mistakes"
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 11:47   #122
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: Alberg 30
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Awwww,,, Didummmss... have a free flower..
Not a whole bouquet?
__________________

__________________
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 11:47   #123
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Stuck on an island in Florida
Posts: 264
Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

Hmmmm, I noticed the people who are defending the OP haven't given him their boat.....yet...
__________________
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 11:52   #124
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
Hmmmm, I noticed the people who are defending the OP haven't given him their boat.....yet...
We (I am) sentimental not foolish!
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 11:53   #125
Wayfaring Mariner
 
captain58sailin's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Homer, AK is my home port
Boat: Skookum 53'
Posts: 4,045
Images: 5
Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

I tried to PM the OP, there was no provision for it on his site.
__________________
" Wisdom; is your reward for surviving your mistakes"
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:35   #126
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

Wonder if he's tried Sailing Anarchy?
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:40   #127
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: Alberg 30
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
There's differing opinions on 'Hard Work...'
A University Professor friend did a 2hr class yesterday afternoon then popped round for a bite after.. claimed he was knackered..
Then there's another friend who's a hod carrier (50yrs old) who bops till 4am most nights then starts again lifting those bricks again from 8-5.. one persons idea of work is often anothers vacation...
You edited to add all that, sneaky!
Lol.
I was going to add to mine to clarify, but outside the time limit. I can work hard, and still believe in sharing and helping, but I think there is more choice in life than asking for free, and stealing.
The attitudes on both extremes are getting a bit pointed here, surely there's a nice middle ground?

Sharing is part what makes a community strong.
I gave another live aboard(who couldn't afford a slip and was living on a 15lb danforth) my 35lb cqr, 50'of chain and a ton of nylon rode to get him through the winter here. It cost me weeks of work to earn the money back but he had lost his job, and I had two. Doesn't mean he's a free loader. Not giving him my slip didn't make me a 1% greedy etc either.



Night time, I have my first ever desk job with benefits and ok pay, dunno how long I can last with how hard it is!


Daytime(6 days a week) I work on customers boats(engines, electrical, bottom repairs etc) except for the one day a week I'm at university(I take courses online as much as possible, and only need to be there 9 hours a day, one day a week.



I've always had the vacation jobs.
That's where the back and lung problems come from at 25. Too much easy living, lol!

Woodturner, blacksmith, granite countertop fabricator, up to real factory work for Honeywell, my veins were black for months after that holiday.

I've even been a stone mason. Like a bricklayer, except instead of bricks, you clamber over piles of blasted rock picking up large ones one by one, load them by hand into a dump truck, drive them to the site, dump, carry them to where the wall was to be, mix concrete in a wheelbarrow, roll that over and start hammering thei rocks into shape and building.
I was still breaking old concrete slab(2-3'thick and full of rebar) by hand with a 20lb sledge for fill, with two cracked ribs for 11$ an hour. No insurance on jobs like that.
__________________
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:53   #128
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I tried to PM the OP, there was no provision for it on his site.
He removed that option (via his CP) at the same time as his final post on this thread - I know as I was gonna send him a PM, the function was there one minute and gone the next!

Whilst I respect everyone's opinions on this thread (of course I don't, but the CF "Play Nice" rule means I can't mention that the attitudes I see here are mostly moronic) - nonetheless would be kinda nice if folks could at least show some comprehension of what the OP had actually written rather than instead responding to whatever nonsense they have rattling around in own head .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:59   #129
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,210
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
Hmmmm, I noticed the people who are defending the OP haven't given him their boat.....yet...
Actually my Corribee has been mentioned... not on this thread... on the other one who was begging...
As for the rabid abuse... methinks there must be a reason... I mean... has he PM'd and asked for yours..or is he just having a grand laugh at you lot getting your knickers in a twist over nothing... lmao
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 13:06   #130
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
You edited to add all that, sneaky!
Lol.
I was going to add to mine to clarify, but outside the time limit. I can work hard, and still believe in sharing and helping, but I think there is more choice in life than asking for free, and stealing.
The attitudes on both extremes are getting a bit pointed here, surely there's a nice middle ground?

Sharing is part what makes a community strong.
I gave another live aboard(who couldn't afford a slip and was living on a 15lb danforth) my 35lb cqr, 50'of chain and a ton of nylon rode to get him through the winter here. It cost me weeks of work to earn the money back but he had lost his job, and I had two. Doesn't mean he's a free loader. Not giving him my slip didn't make me a 1% greedy etc either.



Night time, I have my first ever desk job with benefits and ok pay, dunno how long I can last with how hard it is!


Daytime(6 days a week) I work on customers boats(engines, electrical, bottom repairs etc) except for the one day a week I'm at university(I take courses online as much as possible, and only need to be there 9 hours a day, one day a week.



I've always had the vacation jobs.
That's where the back and lung problems come from at 25. Too much easy living, lol!

Woodturner, blacksmith, granite countertop fabricator, up to real factory work for Honeywell, my veins were black for months after that holiday.

I've even been a stone mason. Like a bricklayer, except instead of bricks, you clamber over piles of blasted rock picking up large ones one by one, load them by hand into a dump truck, drive them to the site, dump, carry them to where the wall was to be, mix concrete in a wheelbarrow, roll that over and start hammering thei rocks into shape and building.
I was still breaking old concrete slab(2-3'thick and full of rebar) by hand with a 20lb sledge for fill, with two cracked ribs for 11$ an hour. No insurance on jobs like that.
Now this sounds like a hard working man...brother can you spare a dime?
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 13:12   #131
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,210
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

He should try grinding 40ft+ power boat bottoms in temps of 90F.... mind guess the yard manager considered it a 'skilled job'..
I got $12/hr
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 13:36   #132
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,210
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Hehe HaHa..your full of funnys lately..
Hoping I piss someone off enuf that they give me a 50ft Cat to be rid of me....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 13:47   #133
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearLifeXpert View Post
I know now that not only is someone going to give me their yacht, but it is going to be an awesome one far beyond what I initially imagined and for one simple reason, I have a purpose for it, a destination, a goal, and the spirit of a dream. That's all I need.
I guess one spin on this could be somewhat dark!
__________________
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 18:30   #134
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: Alberg 30
Posts: 344
Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
He should try grinding 40ft+ power boat bottoms in temps of 90F.... mind guess the yard manager considered it a 'skilled job'..
I got $12/hr
Yeah, I've never been considered skilled enough for that temperature I guess.
I did work on scraping, and then grinding the bottom of a 60' Bayliner at Christmas for epoxy barrier coating. But it was balmy weather, at least -5 since they turned off the water on my dock to prevent freezing, and we did get Christmas lights.
I even got part of Christmas Eve off from both jobs to go see my family!

If you do get that 50' cat, I want to come for a sail!
Roomier than the Alberg 30 that I've spent the last year refitting while I live aboard. Better deal too from the sounds of it.


__________________
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 18:41   #135
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,210
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
Yeah, I've never been considered skilled enough for that temperature I guess.
I did work on scraping, and then grinding the bottom of a 60' Bayliner at Christmas for epoxy barrier coating. But it was balmy weather, at least -5 since they turned off the water on my dock to prevent freezing, and we did get Christmas lights.
I even got part of Christmas Eve off from both jobs to go see my family!

If you do get that 50' cat, I want to come for a sail!
Roomier than the Alberg 30 that I've spent the last year refitting while I live aboard. Better deal too from the sounds of it.


Wow... posh yard.. loadsa headroom and netting...
even looks like a proper mask...
not one of those paper cones on elastic..
Now when I woz a lad I got to sniff me dads bacon sandwich for breakfast...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.