Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-02-2013, 18:50   #136
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

Is that Yoda? Has the force weakened so far that he has to find work doing bottom jobs?

Old 17-02-2013, 18:57   #137

Boat: Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Wow... posh yard.. loadsa headroom and netting...
even looks like a proper mask...
not one of those paper cones on elastic..
Now when I woz a lad I got to sniff me dads bacon sandwich for breakfast...

LOL! I learned about respirators the hard way. Don't want to make it worse. Worth every penny I spent on cartridges too. No idea what you mean by netting.

Did you have to walk uphill both ways to and from the sandwich?

I haven't got a free cat for ya, but if you make it to Vancouver, you're welcome to the V-berth for a few days. Softer than the settee, al the better for tired old backs

Old 17-02-2013, 19:35   #138

Boat: Tayana 55

I just spent, and I mean "spent", 25 minutes that I will never get back following this fellow's thread. Apparently (?) living in Bali 5 months of the year, girlfriend running a big hotel, and still asking this forum for a free yacht..... like the fellow kept praying to God that he would win the lottery...God said "help me out here Son, at least buy a ticket.."
Old 18-02-2013, 01:53   #139

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

People, we do have a rule on CF about being respectful and polite to one another. I have had to do quite a bit of cleaning up of this thread.

There is nothing wrong with debating about whether or not it's right or wrong to ask whether someone wants to give a boat away. It's actually an interesting philosophical discussion. But in order to have that discussion on CF you are required to be more polite and more respectful than this.

I have to say that, having read through this thread now at the request of one of the people who posted, I don't quite understand why some people got so emotional and so offended by the mere fact that the OP would give such a thing a shot. The request was entirely polite; no one blames you for saying no. Like many others here, I worked hard all my life, and still work hard, but I don't think that gives me a license to think that I deserve what I have all that much more than anyone else, including people who don't have what I have, people maybe like the OP. Although no one, including my parents, actually ever just gave me anything significant in life, including my higher educations, which I paid for myself, nevertheless what I have is as much or possibly more the result of luck, and in some cases kindness, as it is my own hard work. Not to mention the hard work and dedication of my employees over the years. I know people who worked harder and who are smarter than I am who have a lot less than I do -- I know a lot of people like that, actually. On the other side of it, I know scores or thousands of people who have a lot more than I do, as a result of nothing in particular I can tell, except luck, or being more ruthless, or something. So what? Life is like that.

I don't think it does any harm to ask, especially in this case as a cruising sailboat, even one in pretty good condition, is as much (or more) a liability as it is an asset. I can well imagine someone thinking -- why should I go to the trouble of fixing this damned thing up to sell and putting her on the market in this terrible market, showing her to tire-kickers ever weekend for the next three years? That guy will get more use out of her than I ever did; come and sail her away. Why should anyone be so offended by such an idea?
Old 18-02-2013, 03:06   #140

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
People, we do have a rule on CF about being respectful and polite to one another. I have had to do quite a bit of cleaning up of this thread.

There is nothing wrong with debating about whether or not it's right or wrong to ask whether someone wants to give a boat away. It's actually an interesting philosophical discussion. But in order to have that discussion on CF you are required to be more polite and more respectful than this.

I have to say that, having read through this thread now at the request of one of the people who posted, I don't quite understand why some people got so emotional and so offended by the mere fact that the OP would give such a thing a shot. The request was entirely polite; no one blames you for saying no. Like many others here, I worked hard all my life, and still work hard, but I don't think that gives me a license to think that I deserve what I have all that much more than anyone else, including people who don't have what I have, people maybe like the OP. Although no one, including my parents, actually ever just gave me anything significant in life, including my higher educations, which I paid for myself, nevertheless what I have is as much or possibly more the result of luck, and in some cases kindness, as it is my own hard work. Not to mention the hard work and dedication of my employees over the years. I know people who worked harder and who are smarter than I am who have a lot less than I do -- I know a lot of people like that, actually. On the other side of it, I know scores or thousands of people who have a lot more than I do, as a result of nothing in particular I can tell, except luck, or being more ruthless, or something. So what? Life is like that.

I don't think it does any harm to ask, especially in this case as a cruising sailboat, even one in pretty good condition, is as much (or more) a liability as it is an asset. I can well imagine someone thinking -- why should I go to the trouble of fixing this damned thing up to sell and putting her on the market in this terrible market, showing her to tire-kickers ever weekend for the next three years? That guy will get more use out of her than I ever did; come and sail her away. Why should anyone be so offended by such an idea?
I had decided not to post anymore on that thread but your intervention makes me change my mind
Most of the posts in that thread were not about is it wrong or not to ask for a free boat
It was the way it was done: arrogantly, selfish, provocative, and smelling of scam from somebody , leaving half time in Bali and the other half in a luxury hotel in the Maldives, or pretending to, who throw his bomb and left the thread letting every body else fighting each other. This is troll and we go for it.
I think that the moderators in view of it should have closed the threat long ago.
Old 18-02-2013, 05:32   #141

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hoping I piss someone off enuf that they give me a 50ft Cat to be rid of me....
I have an 8 year old big cat you an have. He is white with black and brown spots and appears steady on his feet. Above 2.5' and 20 lbs. Just add food, clean the poop and pet it (but only when it wants)
Old 18-02-2013, 05:44   #142
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

Hey... its Winter and everyones bored...
not everyones into 'Techy Stuff' or endless discussions on the merit of a 2kt tide versus a 4kt.. or whether a 'Natures Head' is capable of standing up to the morning after strain of the night before on a 6 eggs and baked beans supper followed by 11 pints of Guinness....
Tis the season of idle dreams for many... knock it... defend it... no one REALLY CARES... not even the OP most likely..
So... he's done us a favour really... venting pent up outrage for some... spelling practice for udders.... amusement for many...
Hell... I think he's earned the 50ft Cats tender at the very least...
Rock on mate... tongue in cheek flippancy is a mis-understood and dying art in this ever more boringly serious world...
Maybe the OP feels a bit like this by now....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quote.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	55091  

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 06:32   #143

Boat: hunter 31

There are people on this forum who HAVE been given free boats, and they post here wanting advice on finding and adapting used sails, the best way to unstick a seized engine, the cheapest way to repaint a hull, ect. and are prepared to spend hundreds of hours to bring their vessels back to usable condition. Most appear to be of limited means, and are prepared to spend more time than money, but want to get out there and go sailing. Now, asking for a boat is one thing, but specifying "Blue water capable, sailaway condition" as a prerequisite is likely to raise a few eyebrows, as is a story of tragedy and misfortune which slowly turns into a tale of surfer dude staying in a luxury resort claiming to be able to teach people financial success, and who now has a buisness opportunity he wants to share with the world. I believe I was the first of many to point out the similarities to the old Nigerian scam, and it comes as no surprise that the resultant discussion was spirited and polarized many forum participants.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is the difficulty in crediting its original source."
Abraham Lincoln
Old 18-02-2013, 06:35   #144

Boat: Cal 29

Great Lincoln quote! I would have attributed it to Mr. Jefferson.
Old 18-02-2013, 07:12   #145

Cruisers Forum Supporter

according to a well informed TV commercial, everything on the internet is true because they can not post it on the internet if not!
Old 18-02-2013, 11:06   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I would just like to say for the record that Im not the one who taddle tailed on you all! but to keep going after the mods piped up...reminds me of pit bulls with their jaws locked.

Lest you think I've given up reforming you

Laughing at someone else is an excellent way of learning how to laugh at oneself; and questioning what seem to be the absurd beliefs of another group is a good way of recognizing the potential absurdity of many of one's own cherished beliefs.
~Gore Vidal

So maybe something good will come from this quite remarkable attempt at character assassination.

Ocean Girl
Old 18-02-2013, 12:47   #147

i think your just to nice for your own good ocean girl
Old 18-02-2013, 13:25   #148
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagrom snoyl View Post
i think your just to nice for your own good ocean girl
Some have told me before that "kindness was a weakness" ,,I have found it to be my greatest strength...And anytime I have tried to change it becomes an un-natural and uneasy feeling...
Old 18-02-2013, 13:30   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Some have told me before that "kindness was a weakness" ,,I have found it to be my greatest strength...And anytime I have tried to change it becomes an un-natural and uneasy feeling...
Me too!

You've hung in on this thread much longer than I could oceangirl! Good on ya.
Old 18-02-2013, 13:54   #150
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

A person gave me my boat and I didnt even ask for it! Imagine what could be done by asking...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: