Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 10:12   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Why We Stay Safely Tied to the Dock

Many years ago I read a humorous article by famous Scotish ice climber, Tom Patey, titled "The Art of Climbing Down Gracefully." It discussed the many reasons, or at least rationalizations, used by aging climbers to avoid admitting publicly that they could no longer make the grade at the local crag. A few, paraphrased, below:

* The gamey leg ploy. Seldom succesfull, so many climbers have more interesting injuries and disabilities than yours.
* The family man ploy. "I just can't take the same risks, that I used to." This can work, if you were a bold climber; it depends on the company and what history you have. Only applies to expedition climbing.
* The frone wind ploy. Bad weather, or at least the wrong weather for the climb in mind. Mostly a mixed ice and rock climber's ploy.
* Wrong gear ploy. Show up with Everest gear at a warm cliff. For practice.
* The old-man-of-the-mountains ploy. Talk about how the new game just isn't the old game. Beter have some real miles on you for this to work.

Sailors - or rather those tied to the dock - have a similar list of reason they can't go on a cruise:

* Need a blue water boat ploy. No you don't, not for coastal cruising. Go out and get some practice while you save your nickles.
* Just can't get crew. Why did you get a boat you can't manage single-handed, or at least with inexperienced crew. People go around the world alone; coastal cruising shorthanded is not exceptional. It just requires thought.
* I need (this or that bit of safety kit) before it would be responsible. Other than the basics, they didn't exist 30 years ago.
* I need (this or that bit of electronics) before it would be responsible. Other than VHF, it didn't exist 30 years ago. Take a chart.
* That is not a cruisers' harbor; no boat of real draft can mange. If this was a 7-seas sailor I would bite. For a Chesapeake Bay sailor, why did you buy a boat with a draft that kept you at home?
* I must haul-out for the season, from October to May. In the great lakes, nuf said. South of Baltimore, I have sailed 4-season for 25 years. Yes, some winterization is still required, but actually less if the boat is kept in the water and used.

At least 1/2 the boats in any marina set all summer. Even more stay too close to home, never venturing out of site of their home slip. So, what real, humorous, or just plain odd explainations you have heard for boats that don't move? I shouldn't talk right now; I've been motionless, working on 2 lame engines for several weeks now, but I do hope to be going in a week or so. My "bum engine" ploy will then be played out.

We ought to be able to make a thread of this.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:28   #2

Even "real" cruisers sometimes suffer from Tarpit Harbor. Like Island Time, and not entirely unrelated, it is both a state of mind and a disease - not necessarily an unpleasant one. Go here:

BoatUS Cruising Logs

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:30   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Be damned glad most boats stay at the dock. Can you imagine how crowded it would be if every single boat left every single marina on every single Sat & Sun.? What are you thinking? Leave these sleeping dogs lying on the floor. Do not pull their tails......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
The dockmaster at our marina has not seen two boat's owners in over five years.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:56   #5

Good Point!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Be damned glad most boats stay at the dock. Can you imagine how crowded it would be if every single boat left every single marina on every single Sat & Sun.? What are you thinking? Leave these sleeping dogs lying on the floor. Do not pull their tails......i2f
And the boat next to mine; the harbor master has not seen the owner in 3 years and it hasn't moved in longer, it isn't sinking, and though there are ducks living in the cabin, he pays his rent on-time.

Other ploys

* My wife gets sea-sick. Well, that is not going to change. Either go alone, with other crew, or sell.

* My children are too small. Start them young, and keep it easy and fun. If they don't like being around the water, there is either something wrong with the kids or something wrong with the presentation.

* Broken engine and I can't afford to have someone else fix it. Right now, I have some sympathy for that one! I'm glad that I learned basic engine repair family cars back in the 70's. I don't know how the next generation will manage. They can beat me any day on computer systems, but I'm pretty solid on carbs, starters, and pumps.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:11   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
My dog ate my charts!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:43   #7

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Wots a carb? is that something you eat?

Paige
who grew up on desiel
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 13:00   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
They say that half of the adventure is getting there...

well the other half is getting the chance to relax and enjoy some local nitelife, or diving, or fishing, or......
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 13:19   #9

Boat: Looking for a new boat
I would like to ad, "I have to stay at home and chat on Cruisers Forum all day" to that list.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 13:44   #10

Just as bad, or even worse, are the people motoring around with their sail covers on in a 15 knot breeze. They actually come down and left the dock, but still are not sailing. I have never understood this, but I see it all the time.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 14:16   #11

Boat: Taswell 56, 1991, Faith
Leaving the dock

We returned in May 2008 from a four years and a half circumnavigation, including visits to 38 countries. The following is an excerpt from my soon to be released book: Sailing Faith: The Long Way Home:
We find, while preparing for our voyage in Hampton, Virginia, a number of folks planning voyages of their own and a few who have actually left the dock. The planners are dreamers, conjuring obstacles to maintain the dream. As soon as the boat is all ready; boats are boats, and will never be all ready. As soon as they have accumulated enough money; there will never be enough. As soon as the kids are older, or the kids have moved out, or …
I recall a man I worked with years earlier who refused a sizeable Christmas bonus. "I always wanted a Cadillac," he said, "but as soon as I get my Cadillac, the dream is gone. I just think the car can’t be as good as the dream."
People know when they leave the dock, the dream is gone.

Gregg A Granger Sailing Faith: Home Page
Faith of Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 14:38   #12

Boat: Rainbow 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Just as bad, or even worse, are the people motoring around with their sail covers on in a 15 knot breeze. They actually come down and left the dock, but still are not sailing. I have never understood this, but I see it all the time.
Exposure to the elements is bad for sails, dontcha know. Wears 'em right out!
Old 04-11-2009, 14:59   #13

Move on to the next dream....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith of Holland View Post
We returned in May 2008 from a four years and a half circumnavigation, including visits to 38 countries. The following is an excerpt from my soon to be released book: Sailing Faith: The Long Way Home:
We find, while preparing for our voyage in Hampton, Virginia, a number of folks planning voyages of their own and a few who have actually left the dock. The planners are dreamers, conjuring obstacles to maintain the dream. As soon as the boat is all ready; boats are boats, and will never be all ready. As soon as they have accumulated enough money; there will never be enough. As soon as the kids are older, or the kids have moved out, or …
I recall a man I worked with years earlier who refused a sizeable Christmas bonus. "I always wanted a Cadillac," he said, "but as soon as I get my Cadillac, the dream is gone. I just think the car can’t be as good as the dream."
People know when they leave the dock, the dream is gone.

Gregg A Granger Sailing Faith: Home Page
At first my dreams were of rock and mountain climbs. I did a lot of those, including some "dream" climbs.

Then I dreamed of sailing a small boat a distance (Sail Delmarva). Did that, wrote the guide book.

Yes, you are right about dreams... to a point. They keep you alive. But you have to be able to keep changing them, too. Big enough to be interesting, hopefully not so big as to get you killed. Mountain climbing is problematical that way, the risks multiplying with your hunger.

The Cadillac story was insightful. It's interesting that the emplyee understood himself so well.
Old 04-11-2009, 15:00   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Twilight Zone.

The marina here in Malaysia is new and to get a few boat to stop by they have made the marina.... free..... yes.

So its like the twilight zone..... Hotel California on water.... you may sail in but you can not leave!

Not only is it a respite from, for many, years of cruising, its a place to leisurely get those boat jobs done.

Its not 3 or 5 years, but for many its 3 or 5 months where usually cruisers would stay 1 week to reprovision etc...

Shhhh! A boat is going!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 15:59   #15

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Another excuse (not to go cruising just yet)

"I need to interface the GPS with the watermaker"
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote