Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2019, 07:52   #331
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: “Why Most Published Research Findings Are False”

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
For a more graphic view of Jakobshavn's 'growth' and perhaps one of it's repercussions...

May 13 2002

thanks for posting the pictures Jim that is a real illustration of the fact that the glacier is growing .

Old 16-05-2019, 08:05   #332

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

OK.. fair warning.

The off topic section of the CF still has to have some connection to cruising. Every thread appears to get around to global warming or Climate change or whatever the politically correct term is...

This particular thread will be ending soon.

From henceforth, any new thread will be removed if there is no connection to boating or deviates into Global warming.

I can no longer deal the tears and the outcry ..

Old 16-05-2019, 08:39   #333

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
It was pointed out up-thread (I think in this thread) that the scientific method has been used to show that the critique of Democracy attributed to Plato (the one supporting elitism) is unfounded. Elites make mistakes more or less the same as everyone else, but tend to be socioeconomically insulated from the results (and/or tend to have superior rationalization and communicative ability so as to be able to induce the cognitive dissonance in subordinates such that the subordinates...continue to feel subordinate, not recognizing that the elite in the aggregate isn't so elite when it comes to innate skills/acumen).
As par for the course, (mostly) pure sophistry.

Regarding 'democracy', then I assume you think the converse is true,

"unqualified people tend to make good decisions on things they aren't qualified to make decisions about."

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
thanks for posting the pictures Jim that is a real illustration of the fact that the glacier is growing .
It is nothing of the kind, except to those who have either over or under-active imaginations...
Old 16-05-2019, 08:55   #334
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
As par for the course, (mostly) pure sophistry.

Regarding 'democracy', then I assume you think the converse is true,

"unqualified people tend to make good decisions on things they aren't qualified to make decisions about."

It is nothing of the kind, except to those who have either over or under-active imaginations...
dang I say thank you and you pounce like I just killed your cat .
Wow just wow

the glacier has more mass. I fail to see the issue
Unless its because it doesn't fit your particular narrative
Old 16-05-2019, 09:07   #335

I have no problem being called an alarmist.

We as a species desperately need 2.3% of the world population to as quickly as possible become lifelong Paul Reveres.

We are long past time when individual action has any more effect than rearranging deck chairs stops the boat from going down.

Even action at the anachronistic "national" level is ineffective.

That does not mean we should be discouraged, just that the measures required - we need to do whatever it takes - are far greater than what we've put in place to say prevent wars.

The time will come when the Green New Deal, Extinction Rebellion, Fridays for Future, all the worldwide movements led by the young, will be seen as piss-weak half-measures, catering to piddly concerns like GDP, jobs, wealth inequality, immigration/migration and national sovereignty all just ridiculously small bumps in the road.

Finland's new generation of climate heroes https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-eu...climate-heroes

From Uganda to Tokyo: Meet the Kids of the Global Climate Strike Movement https://www.vice.com/en_in/article/b...trike-movement

Watch, or at least read Greta Thunberg
https://www.lifegate.com/people/news...-thunberg-rome

You don't listen to the science because you are only interested in solutions that will enable you to carry on like before. Like now. And those answers don't exist anymore. Because you did not act in time.

Avoiding climate breakdown will require cathedral thinking. We must lay the foundation while we may not know exactly how to build the ceiling.

Sometimes we just simply have to find a way. The moment we decide to fulfil something, we can do anything. And I'm sure that the moment we start behaving as if we were in an emergency, we can avoid climate and ecological catastrophe. Humans are very adaptable: we can still fix this. But the opportunity to do so will not last for long. We must start today. We have no more excuses.
Old 16-05-2019, 09:21   #336
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I have no problem being called an alarmist.

We as a species desperately need 2.3% of the world population to as quickly as possible become lifelong Paul Reveres.

We are long past time when individual action has any more effect than rearranging deck chairs stops the boat from going down.

Even action at the anachronistic "national" level is ineffective.

That does not mean we should be discouraged, just that the measures required - we need to do whatever it takes - are far greater than what we've put in place to say prevent wars.

The time will come when the Green New Deal, Extinction Rebellion, Fridays for Future, all the worldwide movements led by the young, will be seen as piss-weak half-measures, catering to piddly concerns like GDP, jobs, wealth inequality, immigration/migration and national sovereignty all just ridiculously small bumps in the road.

Finland's new generation of climate heroes https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-eu...climate-heroes

From Uganda to Tokyo: Meet the Kids of the Global Climate Strike Movement https://www.vice.com/en_in/article/b...trike-movement

Watch, or at least read Greta Thunberg
https://www.lifegate.com/people/news...-thunberg-rome

You don't listen to the science because you are only interested in solutions that will enable you to carry on like before. Like now. And those answers don't exist anymore. Because you did not act in time.

Avoiding climate breakdown will require cathedral thinking. We must lay the foundation while we may not know exactly how to build the ceiling.

Sometimes we just simply have to find a way. The moment we decide to fulfil something, we can do anything. And I'm sure that the moment we start behaving as if we were in an emergency, we can avoid climate and ecological catastrophe. Humans are very adaptable: we can still fix this. But the opportunity to do so will not last for long. We must start today. We have no more excuses.
well that was a bit nothing burger .

And the planet is still cooling
Old 16-05-2019, 09:33   #337
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Methane is not only produced by organic lifeforms. The solar system has many bodies that are ripe with methane. As far as we know, the quantities observed are so huge that no amount of organic life could explain the amounts seen.
While hydrogen and helium make up most of the gases in interstellar space, tiny traces of other elements such as carbon, oxygen and iron also exist. You will find large amounts of complex gases, such as methane and ammonia, on gas planets such as Jupiter and Saturn.

Methane (CH4) may, or may not exist (*?) in small but significant quantities on Mars, but Titan is literally awash with it. A biological source is at least as plausible as a geologic one, for Mars if not for,Titan. Either explanation would be fascinating in its own way, revealing either that we are not alone in the universe or that both Mars and Titan harbor large underground bodies of water together with unexpected levels of geochemical activity.

Methane is abundant on the giant planets, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, where it was the product of geochemical processing of primordial solar nebula material.

Of the 1,750 parts per billion by volume (ppbv) of methane in Earth’s atmosphere, 90 to 95 percent is biological in origin. The gas is a metabolic by-product of the bacteria in guts of grass-eating ungulates. Other significant sources include termites, rice paddies, swamps, leakage of natural gas (itself a result of past life), and photosynthetic plants. Volcanoes contribute less than 0.2 percent of the total methane budget on Earth

Scientists were excited about a June 2013 detection of methane in Mars’ atmosphere, by both the ground-based Curiosity rover and the Mars Express orbiter.
“Independent confirmation of a methane spike on Mars and a source region east of Gale Crater” ~ by Marco Giuranna et al.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-019-0331-9

But now another group of perplexed planetary scientists is asking … where has Mars’ methane gone? The first results from ESA’s Trace Gas Orbiter (TGO) – part of the ExoMars mission, which launched on Mars in 2016 – showed virtually no signs of the gas in the Martian atmosphere.
“No detection of methane on Mars from early ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter observations” ~ by Oleg Korablev et al.
* ☞ https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1096-4

A fascinating mystery:
https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/met...ust-days-apart
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap190422.html

Old 16-05-2019, 09:42   #338
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I fail to see how any of this relates to sailing in our lifetimes.
Old 16-05-2019, 09:48   #339

Another piece on the methane mystery https://www.wired.com/story/atmosphe...-one-knows-why
Old 16-05-2019, 09:50   #340
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
For a more graphic view of Jakobshavn's 'growth' and perhaps one of it's repercussions...

May 13 2002

how about an article from yesterday to go with your pictures . It also explains what you are seeing from a real world perspective .

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ain-180972187/
Old 16-05-2019, 09:52   #341
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
what's happening on the Jakobshavn glacier may have an impact on some of us.

Its thickening again . It is the glacier that they traced the berg that the titanic hit
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ain-180972187/
Old 16-05-2019, 09:58   #342

Quote:
When sitting alone at the helm the mind can wander, maybe share what it's considered once again in the presence of others. This was much of Slocum's book (including Slocum's account of the merchant who foresaw the end of the world by comet):
"Farther along in the city, however, survived the good man who wrote on the side of his store, where thoughtful men might read and learn: "This wicked world will be destroyed by a comet! The owner of this store is therefore bound to sell out at any price and avoid the catastrophe."

But I agree the specific topic (comet, global warming) gets monotonous, probably contributes to decreased use and purchases of goods from sponsors.
Old 16-05-2019, 11:11   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
OK.. fair warning.

The off topic section of the CF still has to have some connection to cruising. Every thread appears to get around to global warming or Climate change or whatever the politically correct term is...

This particular thread will be ending soon.

From henceforth, any new thread will be removed if there is no connection to boating or deviates into Global warming.

I can no longer deal the tears and the outcry ..
Hello Weavis, and all the other long-suffering moderators,

I'm wondering if there might be a way to let at least one Climate Change thread continue. In my opinion, although there has been lots of disagreement, we've done a reasonably good job keeping the conversation civil.

I think one of the mods' concerns is that people who aren't otherwise interested in the topic of Climate Change stumble into a thread like this one, see the vigorous discussion (on a topic only distantly related to cruising), and somehow are put off on participating on other CruiserForum threads? I'm not sure this is actually the case -- it seems to me that people mostly avoid what they aren't interested in or don't like (see exception below).

What I propose is that this thread -- or another similar thread -- be allowed to continue, with perhaps a more clarifying title, in whatever subforum seems best (Off-Topic seems good to me), and with only a light touch from the moderators. Maybe potential participants would have to specifically request membership to be allowed to participate. Finally, perhaps this suggested thread could be "de-listed" from CF's primary indexing system, so that innocent CF members would be less likely to stumble off the safe boardwalk and into a seething cauldron.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Die Thread, DIE !!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleye s:
Quote:
It seems very odd that some who themselves aren't actually interested in discussing Climate Change should have such a strong opinion about whether others should be given the opportunity to do so? Why don't they just go fix sewing machines, or whatever else floats their boat, and peaceable leave others to decide for themselves what topics they might wish to pursue? If, as I suggested earlier, a Climate Change thread was members-only, then there would be no reason for a person like SenorMechanico to be the local bully.
Old 16-05-2019, 11:51   #344

To further reduce the load on the moderators, perhaps we could persuade GordMay to come out of retirement and be this proposed Climate Change thread's primary moderator?
Old 16-05-2019, 11:53   #345
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
To further reduce the load on the moderators, perhaps we could persuade GordMay to come out of retirement and be this proposed Climate Change thread's moderator?
perhaps you could become the MMGW = natural cycles debate moderator .

Tags
arc, research