Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 03:53   #16
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: why does it have a sail?

Looks like the rig has been shortened - kinda makes sense, originally (1902!) she would not have had 125hp of Perkins in her! Probably by then some sort of motor, just as an auxilliary.

That sail plan probably kept as a steadying sail and for looks - and possibly as a crane!

__________________

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:18   #17
Registered User
 
Capt Rottnest's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: FN QLD
Boat: Junk rig Schooner
Posts: 209
Re: why does it have a sail?

I like it too. Barge shape has the most living space and they can certainly sail well enough. I dont think its weird to like this boat, I find plastic fantastics a bit boring to look at m'self..
__________________

__________________
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:19   #18
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: why does it have a sail?

loved that video, didnt know you could sail with a square bottom. wow, talk about learning something new.

so from what i understand then, sailing coastal with this thing, would be just fine?
i mean you could go from san fran to miami?
__________________
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:40   #19
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,189
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: why does it have a sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
loved that video, didnt know you could sail with a square bottom. wow, talk about learning something new.

so from what i understand then, sailing coastal with this thing, would be just fine?
i mean you could go from san fran to miami?

Taking normal precautions like weather windows etc... no worries..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 22:06   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Boat: Baltic 38DP
Posts: 333
Re: why does it have a sail?

There is a huge following for these old workhorses in the Netherlands. We call them the "Brown Fleet" as they usually sail with traditional brown sails. They are raced, fanatically, and the "Sneek Week" (a week of racing one of the largest forms of square bottoms, the "skūtsje") is a national phenomenon comparable to Mardi Gras.

They really are a sight for sore eyes when they are on the water on a nice sunny day. You typically see 50 or a 100 ships if you spend a day on the water.

The one in the advert really has been treated badly and would need TLC to get her back to her original lovely self.

There is very little information that I could find in English, but this page shows pictures of the various types.

Scheepstypes » Stichting Stamboek Ronde en Platbodemjachten

And some pics on this site: Nationale Bruine Vloot - Aanbod traditionele zeilschepen

These boats are built and designed for our shallow waters and canals and were a huge driver of the prosperity and wealth of the Netherlands from the 16th century through to the Second World War. They sail remarkably well.


Onno
__________________
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 05:43   #21
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,936
Images: 1
Re: why does it have a sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
There is a huge following for these old workhorses in the Netherlands. We call them the "Brown Fleet" as they usually sail with traditional brown sails. They are raced, fanatically, and the "Sneek Week" (a week of racing one of the largest forms of square bottoms, the "skūtsje") is a national phenomenon comparable to Mardi Gras.

They really are a sight for sore eyes when they are on the water on a nice sunny day. You typically see 50 or a 100 ships if you spend a day on the water.

The one in the advert really has been treated badly and would need TLC to get her back to her original lovely self.

There is very little information that I could find in English, but this page shows pictures of the various types.

Scheepstypes » Stichting Stamboek Ronde en Platbodemjachten

And some pics on this site: Nationale Bruine Vloot - Aanbod traditionele zeilschepen

These boats are built and designed for our shallow waters and canals and were a huge driver of the prosperity and wealth of the Netherlands from the 16th century through to the Second World War. They sail remarkably well.


Onno
I'll second this. They sail much better than you think. Handled properly, they actually sail to weather quite well.

__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 20:04   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: michigan
Boat: CORBIN 39
Posts: 301
Re: why does it have a sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i saw this:
1902 Dutch Canal Boat Custom Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
why would they put a sail on it?
i mean you surely wouldn't cross oceans with it would you?
i dont get it.
actually, that is a cool boat. not something a yacht club would like to see in there harbor but still a cool boat. steel at that. great for a canal trip for sure
__________________
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 20:07   #23
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,896
Re: why does it have a sail?

The Wife and I loved the video of hose guys racing them. Steel boats and brass balls!
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 20:24   #24
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: why does it have a sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Personally.... I think she's lovely... in and out...
But as some may have gathered by now...
I'm seriously weird..
I think it's kind of cool too. Not something I would own, but if it was just going to sit at a dock it sure beats other things out there.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 22:06   #25
Sponsoring Vendor
 
HopCar's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Posts: 3,155
Re: why does it have a sail?

"Hmmmm. One of the pics she appears to sailing close hauled...and with leeboards raised."

I think they only put the one on the leeward side down when sailing, hence the name leeboard. I've never sailed a boat with leeboards. Am I right about this?
__________________
Hopkins-Carter Marine Supplies & Fishing Tackle
What You Need, at the Price You Want...with Service!
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 22:07   #26
Sponsoring Vendor
 
HopCar's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Posts: 3,155
Re: why does it have a sail?

A boat that looked very much like that lived in Dinner Key, Miami for several years. I wonder if it is the same boat?
__________________
Hopkins-Carter Marine Supplies & Fishing Tackle
What You Need, at the Price You Want...with Service!
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 22:35   #27
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,003
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: why does it have a sail?

Note the build date. Probably kept the mast to back up what was not so reliable power plants in it's day, if it had power. May have been a sail only powered boat when it was built.
__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 22:49   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Switzerland
Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Posts: 1,241
Re: why does it have a sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Note the build date. Probably kept the mast to back up what was not so reliable power plants in it's day, if it had power. May have been a sail only powered boat when it was built.
It might not have had power. Typically these boats were sailed when the wind allowed it, even on canals.
If the wind didn't come from the right direction they would just put a strong man (or woman!) on the towpath and tow the boat.

I did a lot of sailing on the Dutch inland waterways when I was a student. Our student club had a old Dutch fishing boat (must be almost 150 yo by now) and raising the leeboards was good workout... They are heavy, and we didn't have winches. We also sailed smaller boats, and I once brought one back from Friesland in the North all the way to Delft through a combination of sailing, and just pulling it along the towpath it.

The Netherlands actually build quite a few ocean going sailing cargo vessels during WW I, to cope with the fuel shortage. Some of them are still sailing. One of them (one I've sailed on) is on its way to Australia right now: http://www.oosterschelde.nl/
__________________
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 00:28   #29
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,936
Images: 1
Re: why does it have a sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
"Hmmmm. One of the pics she appears to sailing close hauled...and with leeboards raised."

I think they only put the one on the leeward side down when sailing, hence the name leeboard. I've never sailed a boat with leeboards. Am I right about this?
Generally you are correct. Despite their appearance, they can also heel. When they heel, the weather board will rise almost completely out of the water and have no function.

They were designed for the Dutch canals, and to sail on the Zuider Zee (now the Ijselmeer), and along coastal europe. They have a flat bottom (canals), fold down mast (bridges on canals), and the leeboards (Zuider Zee and open water sailing)

When you see these in the Netherlands today (some are still in use for freight) they will have a car strapped on somewhere. The family lives on it and makes their living as freight shippers. So they have a car they can crane up on the dock when they need to go somewhere.

__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 01:49   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: sydney, australia
Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Posts: 1,021
Images: 3
Re: why does it have a sail?

yeah, originally it wouldnt have had an engine, that rig with leeboards would have worked pretty well, probably still does. Quite a trend in the Netherlands to re-rig these beautiful old girls. i gotta say - the interior - nice original timber work, who stuck all that nasty, tacky crap in there, lord amighty, hope someone with a bit of love for these old beautys buys it and cleans it up...and that bloody hideous pergola on the back, owww, vandals...
__________________

__________________
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.