Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2012, 20:46   #1

why do a few folks on CF think they are francis drake?

I've been spending some time on some other sailing forums, and I no way mean to level this against everyone on cruisersforum. Especially some of the "old salts" that have been here for a while are smart, humble, helpful, and a bunch of other awesome facts that keep me coming back all the time.

But I keep coming across folks who act like some hybrid of Captain Bligh and a recently minted butter bar. It's a frigin sailboat, not a warship. You're on a pleasure boat sailing around having fun, not retracing Shackleton's voyage.

Hell even the guy who just solo'd the America's (including the NW Passage, Bering Stait, and Cape Horn) seems to laud his accomplishments less than some folks I see on here who's claim to fame is managing to not sink their boat marina hopping. Or the gun threads where it's dudes who are convinced they are under direct attack by savage vandals 24/7.

For all of you who are not these people, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for being you.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 20:51   #2

Boat: Haida 26
Re: why do a few folks on CF think they are francis drake?

I have to think your right. Thank you for your honesty...Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 21:06   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I've been spending some time on some other sailing forums, and I no way mean to level this against everyone on cruisersforum. Especially some of the "old salts" that have been here for a while are smart, humble, helpful, and a bunch of other awesome facts that keep me coming back all the time.

But I keep coming across folks who act like some hybrid of Captain Bligh and a recently minted butter bar. It's a frigin sailboat, not a warship. You're on a pleasure boat sailing around having fun, not retracing Shackleton's voyage.

Hell even the guy who just solo'd the America's (including the NW Passage, Bering Stait, and Cape Horn) seems to laud his accomplishments less than some folks I see on here who's claim to fame is managing to not sink their boat marina hopping. Or the gun threads where it's dudes who are convinced they are under direct attack by savage vandals 24/7.

For all of you who are not these people, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for being you.
I think part of it is this is a very popular forum compared to most. If you attract more people you will attract more prodigal children even if the relative percentages stay the same, it just seems like there are more of them because there are more of them to run across.

That presumes that I am correct about this being a site visited more than most. Maybe we do attract a disproportionate number of prodigal children. Maybe I am projecting and most people see me as one of the prodigal children and I don't see that about myself.

Sorry getting a little Meta on this topic. I'll stop now.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 22:20   #4

Don't get me wrong, I think I'm the greatest thing sliced bread.

But I know a lot of experienced guys that I honestly would be embarrassed to know that they read half of the crap I post on here. Any one of those guys could clown me with decades of experience. So when I see someone newer than me acting like he's got it all figured out it just really blows me away.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 05:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
Don't get me wrong, I think I'm the greatest thing sliced bread.

But I know a lot of experienced guys that I honestly would be embarrassed to know that they read half of the crap I post on here. Any one of those guys could clown me with decades of experience. So when I see someone newer than me acting like he's got it all figured out it just really blows me away.
The less one knows, the more they profess to know. Its just one of the many f'ed up things about human nature. But it sure makes un-knowledgable people east to spot :-)
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 05:38   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
The less one knows, the more they profess to know. Its just one of the many f'ed up things about human nature. But it sure makes un-knowledgable people east to spot :-)
And you know that for sure do you? teasing, teasing

I know I fit both sides of that observation at times.
Confusius say, "man who stand in middle of road, get hit by traffic from both directions"
Old 15-07-2012, 05:44   #7

Boat: OEM, proportional

Nobody knows it all, and with a little discernment you can spot when someone is talking in their area of expertise, and when they're talking through their hat.
Old 15-07-2012, 05:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking

And you know that for sure do you? teasing, teasing

I know I fit both sides of that observation at times.
Confusius say, "man who stand in middle of road, get hit by traffic from both directions"
OK, you got me. Flat in the middle of the road.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 06:24   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37
It's unfortunate that Net forums like this seem to attract so many arm-chair experts, zealots, and people who are just here to amuse themselves (often at the expense of others). CF is ripe with these folks, but despite all this chaff, there is still plenty of wheat to be found here. I really appreciate the contributions from those who are actually out there (or who have been). I appreciate people who are interested in honest discussion, not just pontification. And I especially appreciate the people who understand that there is rarely just one right answer to cruising challenges.
Old 15-07-2012, 07:18   #10
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

What?!?! Are you telling me that I am NOT Sir Francis Drake????

damn. Now I gotta get new business cards.

Hey, can I be Fletcher Christian?
Old 15-07-2012, 07:24   #11

Boat: Columbia 41

My apologies to Les Mes, but....

I'm theeee master of the web,
I control the thread,
I have voyaged far and wide if just inside my head,
There's nothing I don't know,
And no place won’t I go,
While sitting in the cockpit I will strut and crow,
Sooooo, never ask me why,
I have fish to fry,
I command the thread, I am 10p captain Bligh.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 07:35   #12

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I don't know,... yes; there is a lot of posturing, and blowharding especially on the gun & anchor threads, I've even done it myself.

But when I've asked a direct technical question about a specific boat, I've gotten 90% direct answers, that to the point I put them into practice, were correct.

Like any online forum, you got to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

I consider myself fairly knowledable, but there is a 1000years of collective experience that signs on to this site occaisionally.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 07:55   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

There is a very handy button called "Thread Tools". The button under thread tools that I use very often is called "Ignore Thread". Its an amazing tool.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 08:01   #14

Yup, after a while you can spot the "armchair" skippers. Not only related to anchors and/or guns, fairly easy to spot when it comes to electrical, too. ZAP, you're it! Sometimes the best ones start with "I don't know much about..." Even if they don't type it, you just know...

So, I'm now on my way out with my 20/20 to anchor and plug in. And tell you all how to do it, MY way, the ONLY way.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 08:03   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I don't know,... yes; there is a lot of posturing, and blowharding especially on the gun & anchor threads, I've even done it myself.

But when I've asked a direct technical question about a specific boat, I've gotten 90% direct answers, that to the point I put them into practice, were correct.

Like any online forum, you got to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

I consider myself fairly knowledable, but there is a 1000years of collective experience that signs on to this site occaisionally.
Agreed . I've received excellent advice from many here, and for that I am grateful. I try and reciprocate whenever I can, contributing to threads where I have actual knowledge, experience, or self-percieved wisdom to offer.

It doesn't take long to identify the blow-hards, or the trolls. In any case, it's easy to ignore threads when they go off the rails.