Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2012, 08:09   #16

Re: why do a few folks on CF think they are francis drake?

Right on. I have found that many folks turn into real jerks when the lines are let go at the dock. I don't know what it is but I do know the level of unpleasantness is in inverse proportion to miles sailed.

I think that the internet in general and forums in particular encourage vulgarity when people try to express themselves.

This being said, a place like a sailing forum will definitely have an inordinate number of boorish contributors.
xiabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 08:10   #17

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Speaking for all the recently Minted Butter Bars ..whenever i am in doubt as to who knows what,,i just ask my kids,,they tell me in no uncertain terms: "Dad...relax..cos we love you anyway" .....i am never sure if i have been insulted or what....

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 08:15   #18

Boat: Union Polaris 36

No one really reads what others are saying much of the time, they just skim over it to get their point across. I read a quote about experience once, something like "I may have one year of experience, and that guy may have 20 years. But his experience is the same year repeated 20 times."

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 09:27   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I have another beef. Its about new folks that start a thread and expect us to play "20 questions". I refuse to bite on these threads.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 09:40   #20

Boat: PETERSON 44
I have no beef. Really I'm out of beef.
I try to back up a point of view with a real experience.
What gets me is large statements that lack experience. Based in textbooks and supposition.
Sometimes I fall for that and get pointedly irritated. Wish I bit my tongue sometimes. Really I think we are trying to share the best information we have. Best for me is the real this happened stuff.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 10:06   #21
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

@ rebel

Don't let it eat at you. Fancy dance talk and experience doesn't mean anything in the long run if you are at sea. Helpful but not absolute. Plenty of braggarts and experts run into trouble. Doesn't matter. Only your moments, interactions, and reactions are important. Take what you can, or take less. Let people blabla all they want. Braggarts need listeners to be important. No listeners at sea - so useless. Be like the sea.

The only easy day was yesterday anyway.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 10:06   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

You don't need to have sailed across oceans to know something about boats. You just need to have spent a lot of time on them underway or have knowledge in a specific area which does not require time underway.

To criticize everyone who has an opinion who has not sailed across oceans is basically nonsense.

Would you rip on a professional hull diver when he comments about the effectiveness various bottom paints?

Would you rip on a professional Diesel mechanics when he discusses fuel pumps?

Would you rip on someone who writes navigation software when he comments about file management?

Would you rip on a sail maker when he discusses sail cloth?

I think some people need to think twice before they go ripping on people because they have not crossed oceans and have an opinion.

Everyone's opinion in this forum is welcome.

Never feel intimidated to say what you think because some crusty old guy who claims to have 100,000 miles might take you to task. Even people like this don't know everything.

I have to say that the arrogance and cockiness of some people who do have a lot of experience really rubs me the wrong way sometimes. I think some of those individuals know who they are.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 10:26   #23
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Never feel intimidated to say what you think because some crusty old guy who claims to have 100,000 miles might take you to task. Even people like this don't know everything.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 10:41   #24

One thing I learned many years ago.... whatever I think is the absolute truth today may be totally different in a couple of years. I think if one tempers their statements with that in mind we're all better off.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 10:55   #25

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Rebel, most of us OLD guys learned by making mistakes! and as Connie reminds me constantly, you have done that wrong before !! LOL I try to just answer things I know about, you know the things I did wrong, that I try hard to not do again!! I think Im lucky just to be alive and still trying to keep sailing till its over ! and we think we found our new to us boat !! so will be making new mistakes soon !! don't worry fella, your posts show you have it together! and you have a BIG leg up having a Good family who suppoert your dreams !! I was lucky the same way !! good partner, and a good boat !! Hang in it gets better !!
Old 15-07-2012, 10:55   #26

Speaking for myself, I signed up here to ask questions because I've been away from sailing for 15 years. Things change, technology is light years ahead, and when I was living aboard and sailing I was learning something new literally every single day. I hope to continue learning from folks who offer their bit here. It's mine to take it or leave it without need to comment further on my part. I was a proficient sailor, but by no means an expert of any kind on anything related to boats. What I have is a backlog of 35 years of being around, owning, and living on my own boats. What i lack is what everyone else here already knows, and that's why I'm here to learn that information without spending the rest of my sailing days running aground trying to figure it out LOL!

Thanks to all the folks who answer mundane questions here on a regular basis, it's not falling on deaf ears.
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:09   #27

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

I have had the honor of meeting some old salts in my time.even went to sea with a few.. who are/where so weird i wouldn't trust them to carry a bucket of sand across the road.
But on matters of the sea,they where masters indeed.
Some need to brag because they have nothing else, whilst others are quiet and see all.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:22   #28
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I've been spending some time on some other sailing forums, and I no way mean to level this against everyone on cruisersforum. Especially some of the "old salts" that have been here for a while are smart, humble, helpful, and a bunch of other awesome facts that keep me coming back all the time.

But I keep coming across folks who act like some hybrid of Captain Bligh and a recently minted butter bar. It's a frigin sailboat, not a warship. You're on a pleasure boat sailing around having fun, not retracing Shackleton's voyage.

Hell even the guy who just solo'd the America's (including the NW Passage, Bering Stait, and Cape Horn) seems to laud his accomplishments less than some folks I see on here who's claim to fame is managing to not sink their boat marina hopping. Or the gun threads where it's dudes who are convinced they are under direct attack by savage vandals 24/7.

For all of you who are not these people, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for being you.

Well, different things bug different people.

Personally, I don't like arrogant people who make assumptions about others and then list the flaws they don't care for in a public forum.

It's real simple. You just filter the people you don't like. Then you don't see their posts and you can curb your compulsive need to criticize others.

(Sweet smile)
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 12:13   #29

I meet Sir Frances once at a marina he bashed me and my boat for several days before leaving and returning several hours later with the coast guard while his Tayana
washed further and further onto the beach. You know it could not be helped ,lost the main halyard and the jib sheet wrapped around the prop lee shore bla bla bla
I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut!!!but I did
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 12:14   #30

Boat: Fantasia 35

The three universal rules of knowledge:

1) There are things you know that you know.

2) There are things you know that you don't know.

3) There are things you don't know that you don't know.

It is rule three that, at one time or another, make fools of us all!

Viking Sailor is online now   Reply With Quote