Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2016, 14:51   #5176

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Just for the sake of scientific integrity, How many proponents for Global warming are NOT Christians?

Im sure I can make a chart out of the statistics....
By "proponents for Global warming" do you mean people who are in favour of it?

I am all for Global warming especially if it accompanied by increased atmospheric CO2 - more plant food and higher minimum temperatures in mid latitudes sounds pretty good to me. Sure beats a return to LIA conditions.

I am not Christian.
Old 23-05-2016, 14:54   #5177

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Well......... hate to burst yer theory but a Christian should not be worried about Global warming and the earths future....

Statistically, that means that most GW persona are not Christians... or at least that is a postulated premise to explore with data.

On the other hand, there is enough postulation going without adding to it...
here ya go. This is what I was suggesting last week. A great deal of the conspiracists and especially conservative side of politics who reject the science are from the church and they have a very fundamentalist view of the end times, which they believe is coming tomorrow.
Old 23-05-2016, 14:55   #5178

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
By "proponents for Global warming" do you mean people who are in favour of it?

I am all for Global warming especially if it accompanied by increased atmospheric CO2 - more plant food and higher minimum temperatures in mid latitudes sounds pretty good to me. Sure beats a return to LIA conditions.

I am not Christian.
we already knew that, your just a 'very naughty boy'
Old 23-05-2016, 15:01   #5179

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Ah....well...
You may want to talk to the Pope.
Last time I checked he does consider himself a Christian and is a MMGW Believer.
The cognitive dissonance is strong in this one, Obi!

An omnipotent, benevolent being is allowing its most important creations to destroy themselves and everything else by using the resources it provided them with?

(Maybe this will finally get the thread shut down )

Edit: And for Jack - I know that a preposition is not a good thing to end a sentence with!
Old 23-05-2016, 15:01   #5180
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
here ya go. This is what I was suggesting last week. A great deal of the conspiracists and especially conservative side of politics who reject the science are from the church and they have a very fundamentalist view of the end times, which they believe is coming tomorrow.
Tomorrow??!!!
But........ Im looking at a catamaran in 2 days.....!!!

NOOOOOooooo!!!!
Old 23-05-2016, 15:03   #5181
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

Nah.

Im fascinated by the political/religious divide...

But ultimately, politics seems to decide what the data means in terms of fines and fees..
Old 23-05-2016, 15:09   #5182

Quote:

I am all for Global warming especially if it accompanied by increased atmospheric CO2 - more plant food
Very funny.

N, P, and K are also plant food. Dump a whole whack of that on your lawn and watch what happens.

Increased CO2 in open environments leads to:

1) Increased predation by pests
doi: 10.1073/pnas.0800568105

2) Compromised nutritional value in food crops
doi:10.1038/nature13179

Our food crops evolved and were domesticated in much lower CO2 levels.
Old 23-05-2016, 15:20   #5183

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Meanwhile back in Chile...

El Niño has seen the Humbolt go bugger orf, lower than normal oxygen in local waters, higher than normal sea temps, all the farmed salmon have died as they couldn't relocate... being in cages and all. Add to that a good healthy attack of Marea Roja ( Red Tide to you lot ) has got into all the shellfish.

So aquaculture... major employer hereabouts ... is stuffed for the foreseeable.

The locals - on Isla Chiloe especially - have blamed it all on central guvment and have done a pretty good job of showing their displeasure... mainly by burning tyres.....
Old 23-05-2016, 15:45   #5184

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:

An omnipotent, benevolent being is allowing its most important creations to destroy themselves and everything else by using the resources it provided them with?

Edit: And for Jack - I know that a preposition is not a good thing to end a sentence with!
The universe is a simulation and the earth has viruses. Unfortunately it going to have to be deleted at some stage. Some parts will be copy and pasted, some will not.
Old 23-05-2016, 16:11   #5185

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Honestly kids, this whole discussion has become completely stupid. Look closely at what you wrote! I bet you would ashamed of yourself if that would be a a real debate where you would see eye to eye. (Or maybe not, and that represents who you really are?)

This is not even funny anymore. It's like Kindergarten, you ran out of arguments but instead of agreeing to disagree this has turned to a competition to find out who is the biggest Überbully.

But as I said earlier it says a lot of the posters character and would keep generations of psychology students busy.
Old 23-05-2016, 16:33   #5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Honestly kids, this whole discussion has become completely stupid. Look closely at what you wrote! I bet you would ashamed of yourself if that would be a a real debate where you would see eye to eye. (Or maybe not, and that represents who you really are?)

This is not even funny anymore. It's like Kindergarten, you ran out of arguments but instead of agreeing to disagree this has turned to a competition to find out who is the biggest Überbully.

But as I said earlier it says a lot of the posters character and would keep generations of psychology students busy.
346 posts and you think it's only turned stupid now

It's entertaining NOW!
Old 23-05-2016, 16:36   #5187

Quote:

I think the Mod's decided to turn a blind eye to this thread ages ago. In what other threads are there, put downs, insults, accusations, sexism, politics, religion. it's quite entertaining really in a kindergarten sort of way
Old 23-05-2016, 16:39   #5188

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_f View Post
Here is some more critique of Lomborg's previous work (in this case a book he wrote)

It makes total sense why Delfin likes him so much.
I see. So when you said that you had reviewed "studies" that was another falsehood, since what you have referenced are news reports, and news reports that don't pertain at all to the Lomborg paper that proves that no matter how much money warmists throw at this problem, the outcome will be essentially zero on global temps, and which was what you were ostensibly refuting.

So again, where are the studies that challenge Lomborg's peer reviewed paper? If they don't exist and you just made it up, fine. If you meant that you can find warmists who don't like Lomborg because he thinks that CO2 fertilization will continue to benefit the planet and you want to use that as a red herring rather than addressing the main point of how little meeting the Paris Accords will accomplish, that is fine with me as well. Just trying to clear up what point you are trying to make, other than fill the room with smoke.
Old 23-05-2016, 16:41   #5189

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Have we covered MMGW beliefs based on race yet?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-05-2016, 16:51   #5190

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post

Well perhaps. But if people like Lomborg are correct, and his argument is unrefuted, then we will be spending enough money chasing snipes that could have been spent doing something useful like, oh I don't know, feeding starving people. If you believe that pointing out how morally bankrupt that is should be viewed as juvenile, then I guess I don't know what to say.

But you are a competent mathematician, so divide 30 trillion by the 10 million children and adults who die of starvation each and every year and that is how much money would be available per person to keep them fed. Think you can feed someone for 70 years for $3 million each? I bet you could. Or, you could spend it reducing global temps by 1/5th of a degree.

I guess I just don't see this question as being as silly as you do.
Closed Thread