Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2016, 09:41   #4651

Re: Why Climat noe Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
No, it's just potty talk... Which always seems to draw a big crowd here on CF.
Phew.
Old 15-05-2016, 10:03   #4652

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Why Climat noe Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Actually, transgender bathrooms seem to be the hot topic for Obama and the Democrats. Watching everything from overseas.... it's a comedy show. LOL
Even assuming "good" intentions, it is yet another fine example of a small, ideological minority desiring to impose their sense of "morality" on equally well-intended people with different opinions & sensibilities. But "we" know what's good for you, and one day you'll thank us for helping you become so "enlightened." Unreal displays of ignorance & arrogance, and the kind of attitudes that led directly to the Trump & Bernie phenomena.

Speaking of, I imagine the Euros are also busy laughing about the Trump show. A lot of people over here are finally figuring out that it's not so funny . . . .
Old 15-05-2016, 10:06   #4653

Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
BTW Lake-effect.... Any solar panels yet?
Still waiting for the govt. to mandate them so they'll be "free." Saving the earth on your own is expensive, doncha know.
Old 15-05-2016, 10:09   #4654
cruiser

I turned off the TV in America two years ago and haven't missed it one bit. Over here in Italy... no TV. I only read a few internet newspaper front pages, which is enough.

When the Europeans, Canadians and Australians bring up American politics, I change the subject. When they bring up the subject of guns in America (and they always do), I show them the picture of Mrs Mac with her M4 and me with my AK47.

Their reaction... priceless.
Old 15-05-2016, 10:22   #4655

Quote:
I turned off the TV in America two years ago and haven't missed it one bit. Over here in Italy... no TV. I only read a few internet newspaper front pages, which is enough.

When the Europeans, Canadians and Australians bring up American politics, I change the subject. When they bring up the subject of guns in America (and they always do), I show them the picture of Mrs Mac with her AR15 and me with my AK47. Their reaction... priceless.
Ha! Love it. And yes, us Americans are a little "different," or maybe we should say "unique?"

Let's see now . . . CC, guns, politics, religion, cow farts, burrito waste emissions . . . . Anything we forgot to cover? Best move on . . . I feel some more cartoons heading this way.
Old 15-05-2016, 11:31   #4656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Ha! Love it. And yes, us Americans are a little "different," or maybe we should say "unique?"

Let's see now . . . CC, guns, politics, religion, cow farts, burrito waste emissions . . . . Anything we forgot to cover?
Anchors. sheesh.
Quote:
Best move on . . . I feel some more cartoons heading this way.
Actually, it's time for a burrito. No foolin'.
Old 15-05-2016, 14:43   #4657

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
It's now breached 400

Confirmed: Southern hemisphere CO2 level rises above symbolic 400 ppm milestone

It's been millions of years since its been this high
Hmmm, something as significant as this and no one responded to it. Is it an inconvenience or are people so consumed with scoring points on this thread that it's not even been noticed.
Old 15-05-2016, 14:55   #4658
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Hmmm, something as significant as this and no one responded to it. Is it an inconvenience or are people so consumed with scoring points on this thread that it's not even been noticed.
I noticed the post right along with the post that the au gov got rid of its entire climate change program stating lack of commercial viability of the program ( they can't make money anymore on it) so I don't actually trust the readings of an entity that is fighting for financial survival.
Old 15-05-2016, 15:01   #4659
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Anchors. sheesh.

Actually, it's time for a burrito. No foolin'.
Huvos rancheros for breakfast and burritos for lunch just doin my part to add methane to stem the cooling outside today
Old 15-05-2016, 15:08   #4660

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I noticed the post right along with the post that the au gov got rid of its entire climate change program stating lack of commercial viability of the program ( they can't make money anymore on it) so I don't actually trust the readings of an entity that is fighting for financial survival.
Firstly, we have a liberal government. They have always been deniers and no one would suggest our liberal government was making money out of climate change. That's just a really odd thing to say.

And Cape Grim is a measuring and weather station. It's NOT fighting or its survival. It's just reporting what it's measuring.
Old 15-05-2016, 15:15   #4661
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Firstly, we have a liberal government. They have always been deniers and no one would suggest our liberal government was making money out of climate change. That's just a really odd thing to say.

And Cape Grim is a measuring and weather station. It's NOT fighting or its survival. It's just reporting what it's measuring.
This was posted a couple pages ago but here it is again.
Australia Cuts 110 Climate Scientist Jobs - Scientific American
And yes cape grim is on the chopping block
Old 15-05-2016, 15:17   #4662

Quote:
It's a number. What can we say? Remember, one faction says that it doesn't matter, and the other has their sights on hopefuly reducing the future number, which in any case will be above 400 for some time to come. It could take 300 to 500 years or longer, maybe, to get back down to 400 again.
Old 15-05-2016, 15:43   #4663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It's a number. What can we say? Remember, one faction says that it doesn't matter, and the other has their sights on hopefuly reducing the future number, which in any case will be above 400 for some time to come. It could take 300 to 500 years or longer, maybe, to get back down to 400 again.
And most I bet -- incl. many readers who are not posting -- are probably less interested in belonging to one or another faction, and more interested in the practical effect/impact of the CO2 concentration number and what can/should be done to lower it.

Where did you come up with 300-500 yrs. for it to get back down to 400 ppm again? Somehow I forgot to include anchoring as a controversial topic, so who knows, maybe I missed this one too.
Old 15-05-2016, 15:57   #4664

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Like age, it's just a number.

And there's always something about articles containing pictures of polar bears and steam spewing cooling towers that somehow immediately scream "BIAS".
Old 15-05-2016, 15:58   #4665
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Likely because it is actually old news the mauna Loa station reported levels above 400 ppm about 3 years ago.