Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 18:56   #4396

Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Wow. While you guys are having an argument in the peanut gallery, the serious money is grabbing the opportunity.

Bill Gates is investing $2 billion into climate change related companies. Family offices and VC's are placing big bets. Google has invested 2.5B in renewable energy. Berkshire Hathaway had done $15B a year ago and Buffett says he's ready to invest another $15B.

I'm sure there were people who had good arguments as to why the steam engine would never replace the stage coach. But no one remembers their names.

Here's a good report from Black Rock.

https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/...ernational.pdf
Old 11-05-2016, 19:22   #4397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Also, just saying, if you'd rather profit than argue, maybe consider the growth potential of renewable energy. IOW, even if you believe GW is a huge conspiracy to, I don't know,......destroy American principles, all of the people of the Appalachians, the oil companies?

Not sure why you fear change, unless you are among those mentioned, or of course, long term investors thereof. Or simply brain washed? Who knows? But if you want to profit, fossil fuels are not the future. And if you happen to want to "make America strong Again" you'd be wanting to make our technology, manufacturing, and implementation of renewable energy a priority since we lag far behind most other countries in this.

Renewable Energy = 90% Of New US Electricity Generation Capacity In January (Exclusive) | CleanTechnica

The 4th Largest Economy In The World Just Generated 90 Percent Of The Power It Needs From Renewables | ThinkProgress
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Wow. While you guys are having an argument in the peanut gallery, the serious money is grabbing the opportunity.

Bill Gates is investing $2 billion into climate change related companies. Family offices and VC's are placing big bets. Google has invested 2.5B in renewable energy. Berkshire Hathaway had done $15B a year ago and Buffett says he's ready to invest another $15B.

I'm sure there were people who had good arguments as to why the steam engine would never replace the stage coach. But no one remembers their names.

Finally. You two get it. Thank you.

It's not just the right thing to do, it's GROWTH. It's the bedrock of the future economy.
Old 11-05-2016, 19:22   #4398

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_f View Post
Could the media article have stated that more clearly? Absolutely. Would I have worded it differently? Of course. But it isn't exactly wrong. More heat is reaching depths of at least 700m, as they state. You know -- into the "deep" ocean. Good thing LE posted a link to the actual paper in case anyone was confused.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about suggesting LE had some ulterior motive by posting both the media article (more readable to some) and the actual paper (more relevant). Why is it bad to post both? Was posting both somehow hiding the paper from people like you that were unable to read 14 consecutive words to find the paper?

(which obviously he did)

But then again

(or, you know, click the link he provided)

Do you really think LE was really trying to post a link that he thought contradicted what he was trying to say? Or do you think he was able to correctly interpret the poorly worded paragraph in the media article, or decided to read the paper he linked, and you are the only one confused?

But just to be clear. Which is it? Were the papers totally unrelated? Or did the papers say the exact same thing? You have claimed both were your point.
I never click obscure, secondary "linked here" labelled hyperlinks due to my, admittedly unreasonable, rickroll phobia. Therefore I compared newhaul's primary link with lake effect's primary link. Who'd a thunk that sneaky devil was fooling us?

All i can say is thst its a good thing newhaul didn't pull the same stunt or i reckon there'd be at least another 10 pages tacked onto this thread by now.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-05-2016, 19:23   #4399

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Many jobs to be had.........

Missouri leads Midwest in clean-energy job growth; expansion set to continue ** - The Missouri Times

Solar Jobs Continue to Outpace US Economy - Renewable Energy World

Fact Sheet: Jobs in Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (2015) | White Papers | EESI

Too bad we sequester (austerity education)
Solar Jobs Continue to Outpace US Economy - Renewable Energy World

Hallo! Wake up! Stop arguing! Educate yourself and your children because all countries are competing and growing their new technologies for renewable energy. Whether you are happy about it or not. Guess what? It's happening! As the horse and buggy, buggy whips included, were replaced, so will be fossil fuels. It's happening now, without your consent and at your expense because you are so attached to your old ways that you continue to invest in dying technology. Suit yourself, stay there. See how that works for you.
Old 11-05-2016, 19:28   #4400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I never click obscure, secondary "linked here" labelled hyperlinks due to my, admittedly unreasonable, rickroll phobia. Therefore I compared newhaul's primary link with lake effect's primary link. Who'd a thunk that sneaky devil was fooling us?

All i can say is thst its a good thing newhaul didn't pull the same stunt or i reckon there'd be at least another 10 pages tacked onto this thread by now.

Wow. That is truly one of the funniest arguments I have seen. You think LE was pulling a fast one on you by providing a correctly labeled link to a paper because you were afraid you might accidentally see Rick Astley. And you believe if "your side" had done the same all hell would have broken loose?

I mean it was clearly an absolutely masterfully executed scam. LE put the actual article "hiding" in plain sight apparently knowing that you would be afraid to click it?

Fantastic.

I don't mean to add to your clearly alarming paranoia, but I will point out that LE now knows he should put the rickroll in the first link.
Old 11-05-2016, 19:58   #4401

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Not seeing the forest for the trees? I suggest that all go for a nice long sail. And while on that sail have a nice long think. Ask yourself;
*How does my boat move?
*Are my waters clean and safe to swim?
*Can I top up my batteries from my solar and wind gen. ?
*Am I happy?
*Do I have investments in renewables that allow income in my retirement? or
*Do I have investments in failing companies tied to fossil fuels?
*If I hate smokers and second hand smoke, then how should i feel about the effects of air pollution?
*Should I buy a piece of coastal property as an investment to my heirs?
Old 11-05-2016, 20:04   #4402

Quote:
Wow. That is truly one of the funniest arguments I have seen. You think LE was pulling a fast one on you by providing a correctly labeled link to a paper because you were afraid you might accidentally see Rick Astley. And you believe if "your side" had done the same all hell would have broken loose?
Well, Jackdale is on record calling the same data he presented as fake because it came from a skeptic source. So yes.

Old 11-05-2016, 20:10   #4403

Quote:

I mean it was clearly an absolutely masterfully executed scam. LE put the actual article "hiding" in plain sight apparently knowing that you would be afraid to click it?

Fantastic.

I don't mean to add to your clearly alarming paranoia, but I will point out that LE now knows he should put the rickroll in the first link.
So. Today you've picked on stroke victims and quite possibly those suffering from neuropathy and now you're hammering those suffering from weird phobias?

You sir and/or madam, are a scoundrel!

Old 11-05-2016, 20:24   #4404

So... RM - are we good? Is the hissy-fit done?

Cos, I know you're not a bad sort. I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling. Gotta make you understand.

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Old 11-05-2016, 20:37   #4405

Boat: Vagabond 14

Quote:

I don't oppose new technology....

I oppose NAZI strongarm tactics and lies forcing us to adopt it before its ready.

When solar power is more economical to use than fossil fuels, it will dominate the market by the normal capitalist process of consumers looking to save money.

Recent advances are making solar panels efficient enough to actually start this process in some parts of the USA.
Sorry, but Seattle. Washington is not one of them. Rain >60% of the year means the panels just won't get enough exposure to the sun.
Las Vegas, Nevada on the other hand could start working to replace all other sources of power during daylight.

MMGW has failed EVERY prediction made so that makes it bad science based on lies.

If AlGore's predictions (for which he got the Nobel Prize) had come true... The white House lawn would be underwater. I haven't seen Obama using a rowboat to get to his golf game.
Old 11-05-2016, 20:37   #4406
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Thats'great about Germany on a warm Sunday at 11 am would love to see what the power usage was the next day at about 9 am
Old 11-05-2016, 20:54   #4407
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Not seeing the forest for the trees? I suggest that all go for a nice long sail. And while on that sail have a nice long think. Ask yourself;
*How does my boat move?
*Are my waters clean and safe to swim?
*Can I top up my batteries from my solar and wind gen. ?
*Am I happy?
*Do I have investments in renewables that allow income in my retirement? or
*Do I have investments in failing companies tied to fossil fuels?
*If I hate smokers and second hand smoke, then how should i feel about the effects of air pollution?
*Should I buy a piece of coastal property as an investment to my heirs?
OK I will try to answer you
I live on my islander sailboat
I have solar and wind to keep batteries up
Last month I used about a pint of alcohol cooking when I ran out of propane. I used 3 pounds of propane in last 6 months I have used about 10 gallons of gasoline in last year. I don'thave any living children so no heirs to plan for.
I'm a disabled vet so have a small income to live on and full medical for life.
I'm a shipwright so I do all of my own work. I make a few bucks doing work for others while cruising.
If I missed many just let me know.
Old 11-05-2016, 21:33   #4408

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Thats'great about Germany on a warm Sunday at 11 am would love to see what the power usage was the next day at about 9 am
Nice Think Progress headline, but from the article...

Quote:
Germany still gets most of its power from fossil fuels. Sunday’s spike resulted from a combination of reduced demand — a Sunday morning lull in power consumption. It also came from robust supply — an abundance of wind and sunshine to drive up renewable energy output. On average, renewables supply 30 percent of the country’s power.
Old 11-05-2016, 21:36   #4409
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now just to stir things a bit
Year-long study reveals secret of Greenland's growing ice sheet - Climate Dispatch
Old 11-05-2016, 21:38   #4410

Quote:

Perhaps these private investments will be fruitful, but government backed renewable energy entities have failed profoundly in many cases.

The listed investors can afford the risk. I hope they make a lot of money.

If they are successful, perhaps Ken's OP (CC won't matter in 20 years) will be true.
Closed Thread