Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 20:58   #4186

Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Hopefully you don't have any family impacted by the oil sands region fire near fort McMurray in Alberta
I do.
Old 05-05-2016, 21:00   #4187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Yes, that would be the 1/3 of engineers and geophysicists that are as clueless about this issue as you are. Fortunately, they are in the minority, as are you.

Just curious, but will you continue to ignore the questions asked in post 4111, as the answers are obvious and corrode your faith system?
The authors of the study have chastised Taylor for misrepresenting their findings.
Old 05-05-2016, 21:07   #4188

Quote:

Just curious, but will you continue to ignore the questions asked in post 4111, as the answers are obvious and corrode your faith system?
Been there, done that.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2112498
Old 05-05-2016, 21:11   #4189

Quote:
...will you continue to ignore the questions asked in post 4111, as the answers are obvious and corrode your faith system?
Don't hold your breath. He also hasn't answered the question as to what direct action his school class took in saving the 400 acres of forest he took credit for in a previous post. Must have recycled the essays they wrote throughout the year on the dangers of climate change.

Jack seems to use one of two responses to questions...
...indirect avoidance by posting a cut and paste or links, with little or no comment, and
...ignoring the question.
Old 05-05-2016, 21:21   #4190

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Don't hold your breath. He also hasn't answered the question as to what direct action his school class took in saving the 400 acres of forest he took credit for in a previous post. Must have recycled the essays they wrote throughout the year on the dangers of climate change.

...indirect avoidance by posting a cut and paste or links, with little or no comment, and
Still the Grand Inquisitor.

"It still warms."
Old 06-05-2016, 05:14   #4191

Some Whales Like Global Warming Just Fine | National Geographic
Quote:
In May 2009, Ari Friedlaender, an ecologist with Oregon State University’s Marine Mammal Institute, was cruising along the Western Antarctic Peninsula when he encountered something he’d never seen. In Wilhelmina Bay, the water was so thick with humpback whales that “we couldn’t count them fast enough,” he recalls.

In the end, he and his colleagues counted 306 whales feeding on an immense aggregation of krill. It was the highest density of humpbacks ever documented in the region.

The humpback population has been recovering ever since commercial hunting was banned in 1966. But the whales are also being helped by another factor: climate change.

In the past, there wouldn’t have been any humpbacks at all in Wilhelmina Bay in May, because the sea would have been covered with ice. The whales typically departed their feeding grounds along the Western Antarctic Peninsula by April, migrating thousands of miles north to spend the winter breeding in tropical waters.

But the sea ice is now advancing nearly two months later than it did in the 1970s and retreating a month earlier. Humpbacks can now stay in the Antarctic much later in the season and follow the krill moving inshore in large aggregations. Since that 2009 expedition, Friedlaender has been hearing the whales sing late in the season, a sign that they might be starting to breed right in Antarctic waters, without waiting to migrate north. That would be a fundamental change in their life history.[...]

In the North Pacific off British Columbia, the humpback population has been growing steadily at a rate of about 7 percent per year and is now estimated at more than 21,000 animals. Two years ago the Canadian government downlisted the population from “threatened” to “species of special concern.” [...]

“Recovering populations of summer whales are taking advantage of a productive and more open Arctic,” says Sue Moore, a biological oceanographer with the Marine Ecosystems Division at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The retreat and the thinning of the sea ice, she says, has led to increased and earlier blooms of microscopic plant plankton. They in turn feed an increase in the tiny crustaceans—copepods and krill—that feed the whales.

Like their Antarctic relatives, the North Pacific humpbacks are staying late on the Arctic feeding grounds. “They might be up there still in November,” Moore says, “when people in Hawaii are starting to think that humpbacks should be coming down their way for mating.” [...]
Old 06-05-2016, 05:22   #4192

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I'm a denier, but I've saved more carbon in my lifetime from solar and cycling then most here. But I'm sort of a Conservationist, which oddly does not require one to be a warmest.
So sorry to hear that. I would have been happy to give you the benefit of the doubt and call you a skeptic instead.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:57   #4193

Quote:
Solar hot water does not contribute to global warming.
Quote:
But then solar hot water saves about 5KW a day
Solar hot water does not save about 5KW a day it get that 5KW a day and surely more from the sun.
It may save you money but don’t hold your breath, one day that sun energy will get taxed.
And what happen to that energy? That energy is used for comfort and wasted in heat loss. Both contribute to global warming.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:05   #4194
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Solar hot water does not save about 5KW a day it get that 5KW a day and surely more from the sun.
It may save you money but don’t hold your breath, one day that sun energy will get taxed.
And what happen to that energy? That energy is used for comfort and wasted in heat loss. Both contribute to global warming.
You mean that it saves 5 kw as opposed to non renewable. Sources providing the 5 kw.
Old 06-05-2016, 13:20   #4195

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Humpbacks*can*now*stay*in the Antarctic*much later in the season and follow the krill moving inshore in large aggregations.*Since that 2009 expedition,*Friedlaender*has been hearing*the*whales*sing late in the season, a sign*that*they might be starting to breed*right in Antarctic waters, without*waiting*to migrate north. That*would be a fundamental change in their life history.

This is all news to me. I haven't noticed any changes in Humpback migration over the last 20 years or so. But then again, I only sail in an area where humpbacks give birth so what would I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
So sorry to hear that. I would have been happy to give you the benefit of the doubt and call you a skeptic instead.

Meanwhile...

http://phys.org/news/2015-12-whales-...migration.html

But as ocean temperatures rise, whales are migrating earlier and traveling farther.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-0...whales/6541890

Janelle Braithwaite examined historical whaling data and says climate change may be depleting the Antarctic food sources whales rely on to store energy for their long journey to breeding grounds off WA's northern coast.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-05-2016, 15:26   #4196

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post

True, and in that a very typical warmist. Which probably explains why they are increasingly a source of mirth to those with the slightest amount if empirical information about the topic.

But I never expected an answer from Jack to data based questions. Data is not the warmist's friend.
Old 06-05-2016, 15:38   #4197

Quote:
But I never expected an answer from Jack to data based questions. Data is not the warmist's friend.
I answered your questions from post #4111

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2112498

Since you do not bother to read responses, I shall no longer respond to your post.

See ya.
Old 06-05-2016, 15:39   #4198
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Since you do not bother to read responses, I shall no longer respond to your post.
See ya.
Don't worry, he will be back...he always is....

Are some starting to understand why I use the Term MMGW Cultist?
Reason, facts, critical analysis of data...none of that matters to the Internet Activists of the MMGW movement. All that matters is the emotion of saving mother Gia.
Old 06-05-2016, 17:47   #4199

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Don't worry, he will be back...he always is....

Are some starting to understand why I use the Term MMGW Cultist?
Reason, facts, critical analysis of data...none of that matters to the Internet Activists of the MMGW movement. All that matters is the emotion of saving mother Gia.
Never mind a clear inability to connect with reality, as I guess, is a prerequisite to maintain their quaint beliefs in the face of so much contradictory reality.
Old 06-05-2016, 19:03   #4200
cruiser

Quote:
Since you are immune to data, I have no idea why you would ask that. It appears above, but here it is again:

http://www.eia.gov/oiaf/1605/archive...t/pdf/tbl3.pdf

Now, assuming that you actually read this and take it on board, can you acknowledge that 3% of total atmospheric CO2 is anthropogenic, according at least to the IPCC, leaves 97% due to natural causes, again according to the IPCC?

Further, if you accept the IPCC data, could you acknowledge that unless you propose killing off 5 billion people and returning humanity to the paleolithic age, you are going to have scant impact on that 3% even with the most absurd leftist programs implemented?

Further, if this hard data from a source other than a fantasy writer sinks in, can you acknowledge that the cause you say you fervently believe in and ridicule people who don't share your faith is about as rational as believing that naugas are threatened with extinction due to overharvesting of naugahyde?
'Seems more appropriate placed here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	123807  
Closed Thread