Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 22:11   #4156

Boat: Vagabond 14
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Forbes reports:
Don’t look now, but maybe a scientific consensus exists concerning global warming after all. Only 36 percent of geoscientists and engineers believe that humans are creating a global warming crisis, according to a survey reported in the peer-reviewed Organization Studies. By contrast, a strong majority of the 1,077 respondents believe that nature is the primary cause of recent global warming and/or that future global warming will not be a very serious problem.
Old 04-05-2016, 23:30   #4157

Boat: Jeanneua 36

I find it incredible that the MSM doesn't mention , what to me is the biggest disaster to befall mankind ;fukashima 'particularly the Pacific Ocean,Whats happening there is MASSIVE and hardly a word.something wrong there mmm.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:20   #4158

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurninTurtle View Post
Forbes reports:
Don’t look now, but maybe a scientific consensus exists concerning global warming after all. Only 36 percent of geoscientists and engineers believe that humans are creating a global warming crisis, according to a survey reported in the peer-reviewed Organization Studies. By contrast, a strong majority of the 1,077 respondents believe that nature is the primary cause of recent global warming and/or that future global warming will not be a very serious problem.
Don't look now is indeed the operative phrase. This 2012 study was of 1,077 engineers and geoscientists, all who were members of APEGA (Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta,[Canada]). That is, they worked for the petroleum industry and were not climate scientists.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:32   #4159

China Curbs Plans for More Coal-Fired Power Plants | New York Times
Quote:
In guidelines released on Monday, China halted plans for new coal-fired power stations in many parts of the country, and construction of some approved plants will be postponed until at least 2018...

The total of 105 gigawatts of power those plants would have been able to produce is considerably more than the electricity-generating capacity of Britain from all sources...

But even as coal becomes unpopular in China, the country’s biggest state-owned electricity generators are adding new coal-fired power plants at a pace not seen in a decade, said Mr. Myllyvirta of Greenpeace, which is acknowledged as an authoritative analyst of China’s energy production. Such plants add to existing overcapacity, he said.

The announcement does not stop projects already under construction, which amount to about 190 gigawatts of new coal-fired power generation, he said.

“It’s definitely a positive step, but it’s not even enough to prevent the overcapacity from getting worse,” Mr. Myllyvirta said...

In the face of the slowest economic growth in a quarter-century, electricity demand has fallen so sharply in China that some coal-burning power plants are operating only 40 or 50 percent of the time. Construction of wind turbines and solar panels has also eaten slightly into the market share of the coal plants....
Old 05-05-2016, 04:55   #4160

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpuff View Post
I find it incredible that the MSM doesn't mention , what to me is the biggest disaster to befall mankind ;fukashima 'particularly the Pacific Ocean,Whats happening there is MASSIVE and hardly a word.something wrong there mmm.
The issues there are reported quite often in the Japanese press as well as in the US. I don't know about Europe. USA Today and other newspapers regularly publish news stories about Fukushima events and the overall status.

But the facts are there has been much less impact to the environment than was originally feared and speculated. Fukushima was a near "worst case" event at a fission reactor with containment and reaction control completely lost. Yet the earth is not scorched for hundreds of miles and the ocean is not devoid of life for hundreds of miles. The main threat is elevated radioactivity in some fish taken from nearby waters. There will likely be an increase in cancer rates in the local population and plant workers. The exact rate increase will not be known for many years. There have been published estimates and you can be sure the actual statistics will be published.

There is no global conspiracy to hide a massive disaster at Fukushima. I recently visited a job site near Fukushima and all was well. Everyone was monitored for radiation and we experienced no elevated levels.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:59   #4161

Boat: Valiant 42

China doesn't need more power plants now because their economy is becoming more stagnant the same as the rest of the world. It has nothing to do with their desire to acquiesce to Greenpeace demands.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:40   #4162

Quote:
Forbes reports:
The authors of the APEGA study took Taylor to task for his misinterpretation of their study.

Quote:
"In addition, even within the confines of our non-representative data set, the interpretation that a majority of the respondents believe that nature is the primary cause of global warming is simply not correct. To the contrary: the majority believes that humans do have their hands in climate change, even if many of them believe that humans are not the only cause."
Old 05-05-2016, 06:45   #4163
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Thank you for this post which says that the Chinese are still building coal fires power plants at the fastest rate in a decade .
Yes they have added wind and solar which has eaten slightly into the coal power market .
Operative word is slightly. Whaic means insignificant.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:11   #4164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Having built an operated one of the largest greenhouse operations in the U.S. I have some familiarity with heating and cooling greenhouses. The reason greenhouses are cooled is not because plants don't like heat up to some reasonable limit, but because they grow too fast, get too lanky, don't hold up in the garden centers where it is cooler, have to be watered too much, require more growth regulators, are unpleasant for workers, etc. etc.
So right.
“The reason greenhouses are cooled is not because plants don't like heat up to some reasonable limit, but because they grow too fast ( European forest produce 10% more timber, more fuel, greater risk of fire, see Alberta today), get ……., don't…., have to be watered too much, require more growth regulators, are unpleasant for workers, etc. etc.”

So given your “familiarity with heating and cooling greenhouses” how would you control global warming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Plus a bit more from solar hot water back then.
So you keep repeating this.
As a smart engineer I would have thought that by now you would have figured out the contribution to global warming of heat losses from solar contraptions?
Old 05-05-2016, 12:17   #4165
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

A Mother's Day Gift idea for our MMGW Cultists:

'Fresh' air from beaches and mountains of Australia sold to smog-blighted Chinese - for £10 a can - Mirror Online

Quote:
Forbes reports:

Shhh.....Then they will move onto Banning/Taxing Sugary Sodas.
Fascists need to be in control of something...so how about giving them Beach Clean up duty in Venezuela?
Old 05-05-2016, 12:26   #4166
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
They must have seen space balls the movie
China Is Now Selling Cans Of Air … Just As ‘Spaceballs’ Predicted
Old 05-05-2016, 12:31   #4167
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post

Shhh.....Then they will move onto Banning/Taxing Sugary Sodas.
Fascists need to be in control of something
In some places they already figured out how to overtax the stuff called a sin tax.
Or a food luxury tax.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:38   #4168
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
So right.
So you keep repeating this.
As a smart engineer I would have thought that by now you would have figured out the contribution to global warming of heat losses from solar contraptions?
I'm not sure what your trying to say.

Solar hot water does not contribute to global warming. Well OK my dad did use a propane torch to solder the copper pipes to the copper back plate, when he built one back in the 70's. So maybe 25 lb's of co2 for that But then solar hot water saves about 5KW a day or 2690 pounds of CO2 per year.

I picked up two used solar hot water panels for $50 back in the earily 80's. They had already been in service 15 years. I used them for 8 years and saved 20,800 pounds of co2.

How many solar PV and hot water panels do you have. PV is 12-15% ish efficient. Newer ones say a tad more. Solar hot water is roughly 60% efficient. Both reduce carbon in the long haul. If your a warmist, you must be pretty determined to lower your carbon budget.

I'm a denier, but I've saved more carbon in my lifetime from solar and cycling then most here. But I'm sort of a Conservationist, which oddly does not require one to be a warmest.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:44   #4169
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
In some places they already figured out how to overtax the stuff called a sin tax.
Or a food luxury tax.
Isn't it interesting that the left has the same solution for every problem...Tax it. Sin taxes on Sugary Soda. Sin taxes on booze. Sin taxes on Carbon. Sin taxes on Luxury Yachts. Sin taxes on the miles you drive.
It's just more evidence that this MMGW has nothing to do with the Environment, but is just another way to get more money to fund the never ending tentacles of Government...politics Baby...that's all it is.
Old 05-05-2016, 13:21   #4170
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I'm not sure what your trying to say.

Solar hot water does not contribute to global warming. Well OK my dad did use a propane torch to solder the copper pipes to the copper back plate, when he built one back in the 70's. So maybe 25 lb's of co2 for that But then solar hot water saves about 5KW a day or 2690 pounds of CO2 per year.

I picked up two used solar hot water panels for $50 back in the earily 80's. They had already been in service 15 years. I used them for 8 years and saved 20,800 pounds of co2.

How many solar PV and hot water panels do you have. PV is 12-15% ish efficient. Newer ones say a tad more. Solar hot water is roughly 60% efficient. Both reduce carbon in the long haul. If your a warmist, you must be pretty determined to lower your carbon budget.

I'm a denier, but I've saved more carbon in my lifetime from solar and cycling then most here. But I'm sort of a Conservationist, which oddly does not require one to be a warmest.

The funniest part of it all to me is most of us conservationists do it to save on the pocket and if gw is real it would save even more on winter heating costs. I'm about the closest to carbon neutral as a person in the first world can be but I don't believe in MMGW to many contrary statements in the same report.