Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 08:41   #3136

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
ok, but what is "its own members interest"? Most governments, especially of affluent countries, don't want anything raining on their parade. They don't like bad news. Does the US government really want to be saying to its citizens "folks, please go for a small six instead of a hemi in your next truck, ok?"

As I mentioned, the IPCC is more often accused of downplaying, not exaggerating or faking the problem. If you have a different take on what is the IPCC members' true aim, lets hear it.
Me thinks you need to broaden your reading base beyond the IPCC's public relations brochures. But you did say you were in marketing many years for the auto industry, right? I know they're all seductive and have plenty of pictures, but consider getting beyond the glossy sales brochures and perhaps into the actual service manual prior to posting.

At that point maybe you'll come to a better understanding that many posters' concerns about the IPCC are not on account of them being "govt. haters," but rather about having realistic and common sense insight into how political organizations designed to advocate a particular message actually operate. There is plenty of evidence to support your pro-AGW views, but it might lead to a better understanding of where the criticism is coming from. Maybe then you can respond more intelligently and less emotionally, and avoid the brainless stereotyping.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:16   #3137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Me thinks you need to broaden your reading base beyond the IPCC's public relations brochures. But you did say you were in marketing many years for the auto industry, right? I know they're all seductive and have plenty of pictures, but consider getting beyond the glossy sales brochures and perhaps into the actual service manual prior to posting.

So, you've given up even the pretense of having a point. ...ok.

I wasn't IN marketing, I was doing some 3rd party work for and in support of vehicle marketing. And I'd bet I've read and used more service manuals than you've even seen. Not that that's relevant.

Quote:
At that point maybe you'll come to a better understanding that many posters' concerns about the IPCC are not on account of them being "govt. haters," but rather about having realistic and common sense insight into how political organizations designed to advocate a particular message actually operate.
Don't hide your light under a bushel. How do "political organizations designed to advocate a particular message actually operate"? (Which of course suggests that the IPCC was designed to advocate a particular message... which is of course far from true). What is the operation or goal of the IPCC, that is of concern to you and other posters?

Old 08-04-2016, 09:26   #3138

Quote:

So, you've given up even the pretense of having a point. ...ok.

I wasn't IN marketing, I was doing some 3rd party work for and in support of vehicle marketing. And I'd bet I've read and used more service manuals than you've even seen. Not that that's relevant.

Don't hide your light under a bushel. How do "political organizations designed to advocate a particular message actually operate"? (Which of course suggests that the IPCC was designed to advocate a particular message... which is of course far from true). What is the operation or goal of the IPCC, that is of concern to you and other posters?

Not here to spoon-feed you. Read the critiques. I promise, it won't hurt, and I promise not to tell your comrades. Won't make you "The Most Interesting Man In The World," but might make your posts slightly more interesting.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:44   #3139

Quote:
Not here to spoon-feed you. Read the critiques. I promise, it won't hurt, and I promise not to tell your comrades. Won't make you "The Most Interesting Man In The World," but might make your posts slightly more interesting.
Woah. Wheels within wheels, man. What's going on, that's so ... so, like, deep that you can't even mention it?

Old 08-04-2016, 12:55   #3140

Quote:
Enlighten us with thou wisdom thy wise climate change sage.
Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. Lao Tzu

I cannot do that for you.
Old 08-04-2016, 14:06   #3141

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. Lao Tzu

I cannot do that for you.
No, but you can be responsive to a reasonable dialogue concerning science's ability to estimate actual temps in the polar regions when there is a shortage of surface stations. All I asked was some "enlightenment" on that narrow question, if you know that is. Your non-answer suggests you do not. I'm confident I can take care of the more amorphous and esoteric issues surrounding my own personal enlightenment without you, but thanks anyway for the fortune cookie quote.

Or do you prefer links, cut & pastes, and lectures without dissent as opposed to actual dialogue? Like the sat data, it could lead to yet another inconvenient truth after all. Personally, I just prefer truth, inconvenient or not.
Old 08-04-2016, 14:11   #3142

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

A valid conspiracy theory involving the IPCC is that it is a tool intended to assist the UN in their goal to create a top tier one world government of unelected officials.

Let me google that for you
Old 08-04-2016, 14:20   #3143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
A valid conspiracy theory involving the IPCC is that it is a tool intended to assist the UN in their goal to create a top tier one world government of unelected officials.

Let me google that for you
How are tin foil hat sales going?

Trying to boost the demand?
Old 08-04-2016, 14:25   #3144

Quote:
No, but you can be responsive to a reasonable dialogue concerning science's ability to estimate actual temps in the polar regions when there is a shortage of surface stations. All I asked was some "enlightenment" on that narrow question, if you know that is. Your non-answer suggests you do not. I'm confident I can take care of the more amorphous and esoteric issues surrounding my own personal enlightenment without you, but thanks anyway for the fortune cookie quote.

Or do you prefer links, cut & pastes, and lectures without dissent as opposed to actual dialogue? Like the sat data, it could lead to yet another inconvenient truth after all. Personally, I just prefer truth, inconvenient or not.
Did you read Kowtan and Way?

The quick version.

https://youtu.be/OwKDyiR1f4o

Notice that they used satellite data
Old 08-04-2016, 14:30   #3145

Quote:
How are tin foil hat sales going?

Trying to boost the demand?
For someone who claims to be of scientific mind, you make a lot of unvalidated assertions. I didn't say I subscribe to the conspiracy.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-04-2016, 14:37   #3146

Quote:
For someone who claims to be of scientific mind, you make a lot of unvalidated assertions. I didn't say I subscribe to the conspiracy.

Then why did you describe it as "valid"?

val·id
ˈvaləd/
adjective
(of an argument or point) having a sound basis in logic or fact; reasonable or cogent.
Old 08-04-2016, 14:45   #3147

Quote:
Then why did you describe it as "valid"?

val·id
ˈvaləd/
adjective
(of an argument or point) having a sound basis in logic or fact; reasonable or cogent.
Because valid arguments have been put forward by its proponents. Had nonsensical arguments been put forth I would have described it as nonsensical.

Old 08-04-2016, 14:46   #3148

Quote:

Since we're back to being science-y, can you help me find what part of the Spencer & Christie dataset accounts for heat retained in the oceans?
Old 08-04-2016, 14:54   #3149

Quote:
Because valid arguments have been put forward by its proponents. Had nonsensical arguments been put forth I would have described it as nonsensical.
Now when you say "valid arguments" do you mean syntactically, as per propositional logic (you know, like "h(¬φ) = True iff h(φ) = False" and so on), or do you mean "plausible" (eg good enuff for CF), or do you mean that they might actually be right?
Old 08-04-2016, 15:03   #3150

Quote:
Now when you say "valid arguments" do you mean syntactically, as per propositional logic (you know, like "h(¬φ) = True iff h(φ) = False" and so on), or do you mean "plausible" (eg good enuff for CF), or do you mean that they might actually be right?
Figuring out that gibberish is above my pay grade, unfortunately.

But for a teaser...

Quote:
Climate policy has almost nothing to do anymore with environmental protection, says the German economist and IPCC official Ottmar Edenhofer.*The next world climate summit in Cancun is actually an economy summit during which the distribution of the world’s resources will be negotiated. –*Ottmar Edenhofer
This is from 14 November 2010.

I reckon that constitutes the basis of a valid argument for a conspiracy theory.

Closed Thread