Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 06:59   #2296

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

wait what?
exodus?
wasn't that 6000 years ago or somesuch?
i know we are talking about climate so a few thousand years is an appropriate scale, but.. really?
and about Syria: there are 4 regional powers and 2 international super powers at play, no need to blame climate here.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:01   #2297
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I will be in San Francisco in late May after a delivery of a Pac Cup from Honolulu - I hope. Just awaiting insurance clearance.

I will be in Lahaina at the end to July to take a Vic Maui boat back to Vancouver.

In Bahamas in three weeks for my first "pleasure" sail in 9 years. With my wife and bunch of folks from our squash club.

I like darkish craft beers. Costco used to import a nice selection from a California brewery before the CDN dollar tanked.
Maybe we can meet half way someplace in London to explore the English pub scene. I will be in Southern California briefly in April to set off on a Mexican cruise, not sure if Mike will still be on the West coast at that time. How do we get you guys over to the Mediterranean where the beer is cheap and tasty?

I hope to run into Mike sometime next Fall if he's in the Boston area, a few others might still be in Boston around that time awaiting the end of hurricane season. We also plan on attending the Annapolis Sail only show in October for three days. Any chance you guys will be there?

That might be the best spot.

Ken
Old 02-02-2016, 08:37   #2298

This was clearly caused by climate change:

Weather forecasting Canadian groundhog dies just before... | www.ajc.com
Old 02-02-2016, 08:56   #2299
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_f View Post
I wouldn't say the untimely demise as caused by climate change but was definitely caused by man.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:02   #2300
cruiser

If groundhogs find their way into a vegetable garden, then I'd say their demise is usually caused by a .22 bullet.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:07   #2301
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Like I said man caused. And not bad in a stew either.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:13   #2302

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You don't have any idea of what you're talking about. I grew up in Southern California and hiked the entire length of the John Miur trail in the Sierra Nevada as a 14 year old. I lived there for thirty years.... I wasn't just passing though. I've gone back every year since and spent many summers there. You are dead wrong on everything you've written on this matter.
Ken, I'm not sure what you mean by saying everything I've written is "dead wrong"? The drought is real, or is that yet another "liberal" conspiracy? The land is parched. The open canals are real. Some are dry. Many (most? all?) are open aqueducts. Must lose massive amounts of water to evaporation. Lake Mead has never been as low as it is now.

I'm travelling pretty slowly, so yes, I stop and talk with lots of folks. None of them echo your words. Perhaps I'm only talking to liberals , but the people I speak with are concerned. Water is politics for sure, and I'm sure you're right about the politicians screwing things up (I think those damn conservatives have messed things up pretty bad too ).
Old 02-02-2016, 09:24   #2303

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I hope to run into Mike sometime next Fall if he's in the Boston area, a few others might still be in Boston around that time awaiting the end of hurricane season. We also plan on attending the Annapolis Sail only show in October for three days. Any chance you guys will be there?
Ah, beer talk. Much more interesting, and important, than all this climate change stuff . Unfortunately my plans have me heading to Newfoundland for the summer and early fall. At this point I don't think I'll be heading south for a couple more years. If we make it to Lewisporte I bet we'll stay a few years to explore the Rock, and Labrador a bit. Heck, maybe we'll go over to Greenland to see the glaciers before they melt away .

... but you never know. We might decide to head south right away. That's what I love about this life -- no firm plans.

Raise a pint (or two, or three) for me if you do meet up. I'll get there eventually.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:09   #2304
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mike remember all those areas you say that are/were parched and dry are/were dessert before man screwed with the water .
Old 02-02-2016, 10:10   #2305
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ken, I'm not sure what you mean by saying everything I've written is "dead wrong"? The drought is real, or is that yet another "liberal" conspiracy? The land is parched. The open canals are real. Some are dry. Many (most? all?) are open aqueducts. Must lose massive amounts of water to evaporation. Lake Mead has never been as low as it is now.

I'm travelling pretty slowly, so yes, I stop and talk with lots of folks. None of them echo your words. Perhaps I'm only talking to liberals , but the people I speak with are concerned. Water is politics for sure, and I'm sure you're right about the politicians screwing things up (I think those damn conservatives have messed things up pretty bad too ).
You are wrong about the water situation in California is what I mean. Many of those concrete lined river beds that look like canals in Cali have always been dry. They are actually river washes and are concrete lined in order to prevent the built up banks from washing out during torrential rain storms in the mountains. The only difference over the past 20 years, is that now people who subscribe to the Global warming-climate change goose step, will now point to them any say exactly what you are saying. I was alive 50 years ago when the "canals" as you call them were built, They were built and designed to prevent flooding during flash floods.

Mike.... Those canals have always been dry except during rain storms... going all the way back to when they were originally built. The problem is the population in Southern California has exceeded the capacity of the water supply network.

Southern California would be and is an arid desert like area without water being diverted to the region. It always has been an arid area, desert sage I think is what it's called. But due to politics, water is now being diverted to southern California lawns or allowed to flow free into the ocean, rather than being used to grow crops. More use of water, improper use of water is what's caused the artificial drought.... NOT climate change.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:15   #2306
cruiser

Mike,

Do you plan on keeping your boat in Newfoundland for a couple of years?
Old 02-02-2016, 11:10   #2307
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

You guys better get that beer in soon, haven't you heard there's a water shortage (beer is just fancy water)
Old 02-02-2016, 11:45   #2308
cruiser

Sailorboy,

Wanna join us in Annapolis?
Old 02-02-2016, 13:05   #2309
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The paper questions high resolution local models such as UKCP09. I would agree.
What we have here is yet another failure to comprehend (or possibly selective myopia).

See Sections 4 and 7.1 in particular.
Old 02-02-2016, 13:09   #2310
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
wait what?
exodus?
wasn't that 6000 years ago or somesuch?
i know we are talking about climate so a few thousand years is an appropriate scale, but.. really?
and about Syria: there are 4 regional powers and 2 international super powers at play, no need to blame climate here.
Ashley, about 3,500 years ago
Closed Thread