Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2016, 12:50   #2101

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Just because you can find X scientists to argue for and X scientists against does not mean the entire field is 50-50 on the subject.

Show me where I said that. Or anyone said that. Did you catch my prior post where I mentioned your putting words in people's mouths?

If there's truly significant numbers of climate scientists who are not in agreement with the findings that the world has been presented with... where are they?

Christy, Spencer, Curry, and many others. You don't have to take my word for it. Google is your friend, and it won't take long.

Where's their petition/presentation/meeting or whatever saying "hey, the consensus isn't".

Have you ever clicked on the links people post? If you have trouble reading, then perhaps youTube is your friend.

Why would such scientists let the case be misrepresented and the "consensus" exaggerated, if so many aren't in agreement?

They've done their best not to let that happen, and the evidence has been presented voluminously throughout this thread. How many pages did the discussion about sat vs. surface data go on? Tons of stuff on John Cook and his role in publicizing the "consensus" that is well documented.

I'm talking the many rank and file climate scientists now, not the few outspoken (and well-publicized) critics.

Try and explore a little beyond skepticalscience.com and all your questions will be answered.

I thought so too, except you keep insisting that the government is supporting "one side", and that the institutions are playing ball (ie not doing unbiased work).

Show me where I said this. The govt supports research on both sides as Jack pointed out long ago. There's a difference btwn. professional objectivity and bias, but that's already been explained to you by several different posters.

As I've mentioned before, I don't think the case is made that there isn't a responsible, formidable, and trustworthy consensus, and without that, everything else is noise.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and rest assured you have plenty of company. Take the headphones out of your ears and you'll hear less noise and learn more relevant information.

Prominent in that noise are your assertions that government is behind the deliberate promotion of a crisis they may know is false. I think that's pretty close to your religion, no?
As I said, no religion, but I know that was all the way back to a post from this morning. Hard to remember I'm sure with all that headphone noise. Show me where I asserted "that government is behind the deliberate promotion of a crisis they may know is false." While you're busy researching this, let me know if you find any evidence "that the oil cos. are behind the deliberate promotion of misleading or contrary evidence about a crisis they may know is false." If you find the latter, then we'll sue.
Old 22-01-2016, 12:56   #2102

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Lemme guess, climate change, right?

Monster winter storm nears Washington area

A powerful storm is barrelling toward Washington, threatening to bury parts of the Middle Atlantic region under deep snow and bring the nation's capital to a virtual standstill.

Quote:
AccuWeather senior meteorologist Alex Sosnowski said Washington's snowfall could eclipse the "Snowmageddon" storm of 2010 that dropped 45cm. If forecasts prove accurate, the storm could rival the 1922 Knickerbocker storm, which dumped a record 71cm on the city.
Old 22-01-2016, 14:08   #2103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I'll try and keep it simple for you:

(a) Because the current administration and the Democratic party believe in the science that says MMGW poses a significant threat;

and/or,

(b) It's an easier path to the type of more heavily regulated, higher taxed, more centrally planned socio-economic system that they favor for the country.
My money is on (b)
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
H. L. Mencken
Old 22-01-2016, 14:56   #2104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just for laughs:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hottest.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	117261  
Old 22-01-2016, 14:58   #2105

Quote:

How was the boat show? Welcome back.
Boat show was good. Happy with my seminars. Met some old contacts, made a couple of new ones. Saw some great boats.

Looked at the boat I am probably bringing back from Maui. Just negotiating some of the finer details right now.
Old 22-01-2016, 18:17   #2106

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Putting it all in perspective. Spend the weekend reading this:

http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.o...7/195.full.pdf

And then come back and tell us how unprecedented today's climate is.
Old 22-01-2016, 18:26   #2107
cruiser

My wife Mrs. Mac is getting a big kick out of watching the climate, or is it weather? Which is rapidly changing into a blizzard in Washington DC, and burying all the climate blowhards under 2-3ft of heavy, wet snow. Excellent!
Old 22-01-2016, 18:39   #2108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Considering that it is impossible to model the chaotic nature of a simple three pendulum system, how likely is it that that we can accurately model the climate?

Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math

Triple Pendulum
Old 22-01-2016, 18:44   #2109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

When it dumped upto 5 feet here it was just called great skiing weather and chain up for the passes. Now they call a blizzard on the opposite coast.
Old 22-01-2016, 18:49   #2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

For soothing a bit more current

Climate Change: Evidence and Causes » Climate Change at the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine

The unprecedented part is the overwhelming contribution of human activities to climate change.
Old 22-01-2016, 18:51   #2111

Quote:
Considering that it is impossible to model the chaotic nature of a simple three pendulum system, how likely is it that that we can accurately model the climate?

Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math

Triple Pendulum
Climate models, like most forecasting models , are heuristic.
Old 22-01-2016, 19:02   #2112

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Has anyone converted someone to their viewpoint/position on this thread yet?
i'm still waiting for an invitation to crew, so i can personaly get an impression of that view/position.
Old 22-01-2016, 19:08   #2113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Today's departure from normal snowfall in northern hemisphere notice all the blue. Some pages back there was a post that said snow was below normal cover but as all can see here it is over 20% above normal.
Rutgers University Climate Lab :: Global Snow Lab
Old 22-01-2016, 19:24   #2114

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeEffect
Just because you can find X scientists to argue for and X scientists against does not mean the entire field is 50-50 on the subject.
Show me where I said that. Or anyone said that. Did you catch my prior post where I mentioned your putting words in people's mouths?
I was not intending to indicate that you or anyone said this, just trying to make the point that repeatedly linking to the same handful of prominent skeptic scientists over and over again is not the same as showing that there's a significant number of scientists lining up behind them (which still remains to be shown, I think)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeEffect
...you keep insisting that the government is supporting "one side", and that the institutions are playing ball (ie not doing unbiased work).
Show me where I said this.
But the fact remains that the US govt. provides the vast majority of the funding generally, and most of it goes to the establishment side.

... there are many scientists who have and continue to challenge the establishment position

... the alarmist MMGW view has been around long enough that it is in fact the entrenched, establishment position, and it's always hard to get people with vested interests at stake to change.

Yes, the establishment side. I was simply pointing out where the majority of the money goes. By "pro-AGW" research, I mean funding for those scientists & institutions that have gone on record as supporting the theory of MMGW and its predicted negative impacts.

There's others.

Quote:
Show me where I asserted "that government is behind the deliberate promotion of a crisis they may know is false."
I'll try and keep it simple for you:

(a) Because the current administration and the Democratic party believe in the science that says MMGW poses a significant threat;

and/or,

(b) It's an easier path to the type of more heavily regulated, higher taxed, more centrally planned socio-economic system that they favor for the country.

Maybe you could turn down the condescension a bit til you get a handle on what's actually come out of your "mouth" vs what you accuse me of putting in it.
Old 22-01-2016, 19:42   #2115

Quote:

Thanks for the link. Good read.

Fascinating tale of the North Sea wind and sea scouring an Orkney beach of sand in 1838, exposing a forest of trees with trunks up to two foot thick, all felled in the same direction.
Closed Thread