Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2016, 17:38   #1696

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Generators require fuel. No fuel, no power.

Treating fossil-fueled generating plants in isolation, like you're doing, is not fully acknowledging the actual consequences of their use.

(Derail - because of the abundance of coal, I do believe that eventually we'll find some way to use it more cleanly and efficiently, if the carbon can be recaptured. Are you aware of any such developments?)
When you or them figure out nuclear powered cars, boats, commercial ships, trains, planes, motorbikes, heaters, gensets, lawnmowers, weed wackers, stoves and anything else I've forgotten; and can adapt Uranium for polymers, lubrication, pharmaceuticals and steel making and anything else I've forgotten - your argument may well be logical.

And yes to the derail. I could be wrong, but I think Australia leads the world in clean coal technology. We certainly were one of the first to develop particle collection filters for power station exhausts.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-01-2016, 18:20   #1697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
When you or them figure out nuclear powered cars, boats, commercial ships, trains, planes, motorbikes, heaters, gensets, lawnmowers, weed wackers, stoves and anything else I've forgotten; and can adapt Uranium for polymers, lubrication, pharmaceuticals and steel making and anything else I've forgotten - your argument may well be logical.
nuclear powered...
  • cars - pointless. indirectly powered from nuclear (...electric) - here today
  • boats - ditto, though electric isn't practical for long-distance yet
  • commercial ships - possible
  • trains - electric
  • planes -no!
  • motorbikes - electric
  • heaters - electric
  • gensets - only really really big ones
  • lawnmowers - electric - mains or rechargeable
  • weed wackers - electric - mains or rechargeable
  • stoves - electric
And the point of course is that if we're not burning coal and oil like there's no tomorrow, we have lots of it left for polymers, lubrication, pharmaceuticals and steel making, etc.
Old 13-01-2016, 18:31   #1698

Quote:
nuclear powered...
  • trains - electric
  • planes -no!
  • motorbikes - electric
  • heaters - electric
  • stoves - electric
And the point of course is that if we're not burning coal and oil like there's no tomorrow, we have lots of it left for polymers, lubrication, pharmaceuticals and steel making, etc.
All possible but not here now. Current world wide nuclear generation as percentage of total production is 10.9% and this is probably slowly declining. And that still means mines and rigs. As for cars, I'm not in a position to buy a Tesla at the moment and I'm pretty sure that also applies to a large portion of the car buying public. I did throw the mower and weed wacker in to see if you were paying attention though. My aging dino powered garden tools are just hanging in there, but if I need to replace them they will most certainly be with those snazzy 56 VDC rechargeable units. My wife will thank me for it.
Old 13-01-2016, 19:02   #1699
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
All possible but not here now. Current world wide nuclear generation as percentage of total production is 10.9% and this is probably slowly declining. And that still means mines and rigs. As for cars, I'm not in a position to buy a Tesla at the moment and I'm pretty sure that also applies to a large portion of the car buying public. I did throw the mower and weed wacker in to see if you were paying attention though. My aging dino powered garden tools are just hanging in there, but if I need to replace them they will most certainly be with those snazzy 56 VDC rechargeable units. My wife will thank me for it.
Everyone knows California Teslas are powered by pixie dust and rainbows, and not the diesel and natural gas fired electrical generating plants up and down the California coast.

Electricity just comes right out of the wall... like magic.
Old 13-01-2016, 19:07   #1700
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
nuclear powered...
  • trains - electric
  • planes -no!
  • motorbikes - electric
  • heaters - electric
  • stoves - electrici
I have to say this is an interesting turn
1) the Chevy volt, Nissan leaf, and most hybread cars like the Toyota Prius used less than 50 miles and recharged.
2) nukee ships the military has them down to a couple hundred feet and up to 1200 ft.so feasible.
3)
Old 13-01-2016, 19:08   #1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Everyone knows California Teslas are powered by pixie dust and rainbows, and not the diesel and natural gas fired electrical generating plants up and down the California coast.
Many years ago, a study was done to determine the power grid requirements if everyone converted to electric cars. It was determined that x amount more power stations would need to be built to accommodate the additional loading and the losses associated with burning coal to generate electricity, then transforming it, then transmitting it, then transforming it then transforming and rectifying it again, then charging batteries etc etc would actually result in a net gain in pollution. This was back in the 80's or 90's from memory, so things might have improved somewhat since.
Old 13-01-2016, 19:09   #1702

Quote:

Electricity just comes right out of the wall... like magic.
So you are saying the electrical generation needs to catch up to these cars.

Electric Vehicles Available in Canada

I agree.
Old 13-01-2016, 19:09   #1703
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
From the atmosphere that produced flora and fauna that are not appropriate for a human diet.”

The last time atmospheric CO2 was at 400 parts per million was during the ancient Pliocene Era, three to five million years ago, and humans didn’t exist.
I'm sure I could find something to eat and not go hungry. Your assumption is just plain lame.

How did all the other land mammals survive? Chimps were around back then... pretty sure our diet doesn't differ much from theirs when it comes to survival. If their digestive tracts can handle it, so can ours.

We can adapt, just like they did.
Old 13-01-2016, 19:15   #1704
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
So you are saying the electrical generation needs to catch up to these cars.

Electric Vehicles Available in Canada

I agree.
Jack do us non Canadians a favor please add a Canadian postal code so we can access the site you linked to I wouldn't accept my postal code from Seattle area in USA likely same problem elsewhere
Old 13-01-2016, 19:15   #1705

Quote:
I'm sure I could find something to eat and not go hungry. Your assumption is just plain lame.

How did all the other land mammals survive? Chimps were around back then... pretty sure our diet doesn't differ much from theirs when it comes to survival. If their digestive tracts can handle it, so can ours.

We can adapt, just like they did.

Humans consume a distinct diet compared to other apes. Not only do we consume much more meat and fat, but we also cook our food.
Old 13-01-2016, 19:22   #1706

Quote:
Humans consume a distinct diet compared to other apes. Not only do we consume much more meat and fat, but we also cook our food.
Please regale us with your theories on how vegans and vegetarians in general survive? How about that African tribe that subsists solely on cows blood and milk or those Asians that subsist purely on marine life?
Old 13-01-2016, 19:26   #1707

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:

Australopithecus afarensis mother and child. Not a mere evolutionary step towards humanity, but a species perfectly adapted to the woodlands of Pliocene Africa
Well… I am not impressed with the "we were not around" type argument either. This species of argument is the most bankrupt of all in the "warmist" quiver. Pointing to A. afarensis' adaptations to its environment is kinda missing the point that we are the most adaptable large animal species that has ever lived by several orders of magnitude. How many Antarctic stations were inhabited by afarensis? How much time did they spend underneath the Arctic Ice Cap? How many moon landers did they have? What was their desert habitation like? How was their airconditioning and advanced fiber production, back then?

There is no way at all that we as a species cannot adapt to climate change. You deploy many excellent arguments. This is not one of them.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 13-01-2016, 19:29   #1708
cruiser

Quote:
What do you mean by your statement? That fifty to one hundred years from now... we would all somehow forget how to raise livestock and cook our food?
Old 13-01-2016, 19:37   #1709

Quote:
What do you mean by your statement? That fifty to one hundred years from now... we would all somehow forget how to raise livestock and cook our food?
Read my statement in the context of a reply to another comment.

Our diet is different from other primates.
Old 13-01-2016, 19:39   #1710

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Jack do us non Canadians a favor please add a Canadian postal code so we can access the site you linked to I wouldn't accept my postal code from Seattle area in USA likely same problem elsewhere
M5W 1E6

(a downtown Toronto address)
Closed Thread