Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 19:01   #1096
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
This thread has demonstrated quite clearly that no nationality test is required to judge why so many Americans are skeptical of climate change and its agenda.

I like your answer, btw.
Last summer we were above average by a few deg f all august now we have been 5 to 7 deg below normal for December and 10 + below for the last 6 days . But that's called weather in an el Nino year. Here in the Seattle area.
Old 03-01-2016, 19:21   #1097
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I guess you missed the concluding sentence of The Global and Mail piece.
Duh..... Yup!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	116101  
Old 03-01-2016, 19:24   #1098

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Last summer we were above average by a few deg f all august now we have been 5 to 7 deg below normal for December and 10 + below for the last 6 days . But that's called weather in an el Nino year. Here in the Seattle area.
Attributing unusual or abnormal weather events to GW or merely to "weather" seems to be another source of confusion. Over X-Mas I heard a forecaster from NOAA attribute the warm temps in the NE US to both the El Nino and some other weather phenomenom which had bottled up cold air in the Arctic. But then the forecaster threw in a comment mentioning GW. Hard to tell whether these are completely independent events backed up with historical precedent, or whether the scientists believe that GW plays a role in creating or enhancing them. I have a feeling there's not much scientific "consensus" on this one either.
Old 03-01-2016, 19:29   #1099
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Attributing unusual or abnormal weather events to GW or merely to "weather" seems to be another source of confusion. Over X-Mas I heard a forecaster from NOAA attribute the warm temps in the NE US to both the El Nino and some other weather phenomenom which had bottled up cold air in the Arctic. But then the forecaster threw in a comment mentioning GW. Hard to tell whether these are completely independent events backed up with historical precedent, or whether the scientists believe that GW plays a role in creating or enhancing them. I have a feeling there's not much scientific "consensus" on this one either.
That seems to be an issue. BTW that used to be called an Arctic low . Now they call it a polar vortex. ( sounds more dramatic ) . Drama sells
Old 03-01-2016, 19:46   #1100

Quote:
Meanwhile in the rest of the world.

Old 03-01-2016, 19:49   #1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Duh..... Yup!
"Know thyself"
Old 03-01-2016, 19:54   #1102

Quote:
That seems to be an issue. BTW that used to be called an Arctic low . Now they call it a polar vortex. ( sounds more dramatic ) . Drama sells
The polar vortex, not a new term, is a high pressure system.

Quote:

"The polar vortex is not a recently discovered phenomenon; in fact, it has been talked about in the meteorological world for decades," AccuWeather.com Senior Meteorologist Bernie Rayno said.

A polar vortex is a large pocket of very cold air, typically the coldest air in the Northern Hemisphere, which sits over the polar region during the winter season.

The frigid air can find its way into the United States when the polar vortex is pushed farther south, occasionally reaching southern Canada and the northern Plains, Midwest and northeastern portions of the United States.

A large, powerful high pressure system originating in the Eastern or Western Pacific and stretching to the North Pole is required to displace the pocket of cold air.

"These high pressure systems can reach Alaska, but it is not typical to stretch all the way to the North Pole," according to AccuWeather.com Senior Meteorologist Brett Anderson.

The vortex is capable of delivering subzero temperatures to the United States and Canada for several days at a time.

When the strong air from the Eastern or Western Pacific weakens and falls apart, the polar vortex will retreat into place near the North Pole.
Old 03-01-2016, 19:56   #1103

Some more on cold outbreaks

Quote:
Earth has seen some highly unusual weather patterns over the past three years, and three new studies published this year point to Arctic sea loss as a potential important driver of some of these strange weather patterns. The record loss of sea ice the Arctic in recent years may be increasing winter cold surges and snowfall in Europe and North America, says a study by a research team led by Georgia Institute of Technology scientists Jiping Liu and Judith Curry. The paper, titled "Impact of declining Arctic sea ice on winter snowfall", was published on Feb. 27, 2012 in the online early edition of the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. "Our study demonstrates that the decrease in Arctic sea ice area is linked to changes in the winter Northern Hemisphere atmospheric circulation, said Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Georgia Tech, in a press release. "The circulation changes result in more frequent episodes of atmospheric blocking patterns, which lead to increased cold surges and snow over large parts of the northern continents."

Arctic sea ice loss tied to unusual jet stream patterns | Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog
Old 03-01-2016, 20:01   #1104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Meanwhile in the rest of the world.

You keep posting that color chart but the variances are minor temperature differences -3° f is not much warmer than -5° f and most of the Arctic seems to have that or similar temperature difference by floor than the normal ( the actual numbers I stated were for illustration purposes only not actual)
Old 03-01-2016, 20:11   #1105

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Some more on cold outbreaks
Quote:
Earth has seen some highly unusual weather patterns over the past three years, and three new studies published this year point to Arctic sea loss as a potential important driver of some of these strange weather patterns. The record loss of sea ice the Arctic in recent years may be increasing winter cold surges and snowfall in Europe and North America, says a study by a research team led by Georgia Institute of Technology scientists Jiping Liu and Judith Curry. The paper, titled "Impact of declining Arctic sea ice on winter snowfall", was published on Feb. 27, 2012 in the online early edition of the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. "Our study demonstrates that the decrease in Arctic sea ice area is linked to changes in the winter Northern Hemisphere atmospheric circulation, said Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Georgia Tech, in a press release. "The circulation changes result in more frequent episodes of atmospheric blocking patterns, which lead to increased cold surges and snow over large parts of the northern continents."

Arctic sea ice loss tied to unusual jet stream patterns | Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog

Uh-Oh . . . Dr. Curry . . . .

Given her anti-AGW position, it sorta begs the question what she attributes the loss of Arctic ice to. I guess I'll have to consult my friend Google. Kinda surprised you would even quote her.
Old 03-01-2016, 20:14   #1106

Quote:
Uh-Oh . . . Dr. Curry . . . .

Given her anti-AGW position, it sorta begs the question what she attributes the loss of Arctic ice to. I guess I'll have to consult my friend Google. Kinda surprised you would even quote her.
I also quote Curry when folks make stupid comments about temperature adjustments, and when she disparages the Sky Dragon Slayers at PSI.

I read her blog fairly often and have made a few comments.
Old 03-01-2016, 20:19   #1107

Quote:
You keep posting that color chart but the variances are minor temperature differences -3° f is not much warmer than -5° f and most of the Arctic seems to have that or similar temperature difference by floor than the normal ( the actual numbers I stated were for illustration purposes only not actual)
Those charts come out monthly. I have posted other monthly ones as well.

I am rather visual, but for those who want words.

Quote:
The combined average temperature over global land and ocean surfaces for November 2015 was the highest for November in the 136-year period of record, at 0.97°C (1.75°F) above the 20th century average of 12.9°C (55.2°F), breaking the previous record of 2013 by 0.15°C (0.27°F). This marks the seventh consecutive month that a monthly global temperature record has been broken. The temperature departure from average for November is also the second highest among all months in the 136-year period of record. The highest departure of 0.99°C (1.79°F) occurred last month.
Global Analysis - November 2015 | National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
Old 03-01-2016, 20:21   #1108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We shall see NOAA is releasing Decembers Arctic sea ice report on Thursday.
Old 03-01-2016, 20:25   #1109

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Another, I don't know about what I'm talking about, but I'm going to say it with certainty and authority anyway..ha ha ha...I love these guys.

What you are missing to understand is how the Population Bomb Scam and MMGW Scam are being played. The "scientists" make ridiculous predictions of cataclysmic disaster if we don't do A, B, and C. The Media that always loves a good disaster story get on board and then hype it to the next level. It then becomes faith de jour in academia and within the elite class. (butter-bad, Margarine-good) Due to the severity of the charges, and risks to mankind itself the agenda is pushed, the story line sold and media and popular culture chants along with the WMD-in-Iraq zombie like crescendo....building...higher...after more audacious prediction of doom and gloom. Then....ptsss.....plunk...pop.....

Reality hits the ludicrous predictions and the balloon pops, the Tec bubble bursts, tulip mania is over, and the now too big to fail Ethanol Scam can't be stopped because too many people are bought into the scam.

The Population Bomb, Peak Oil...all these "We have to Change our ways or Else" have been preached upon from the beginning of time and the scammers know the tune to sing. The useful idiots cling to these scams because...well by-golly...their intentions are good right? Wrong. Their intentions are to control and gain power and wealth for themselves.

The Population Bomb has been proven wrong thousands of times over just like the Peak Oil Myth is falling apart today because both of these scams make a false assumption of measuring the future using Today's tape measures. Our farm land productivity will not increase so people will die. Our Oil/energy discovery/use productivity will be the same, therefore we will run out. The fear of the future is a game often played by the snake oil salesmen to push an agenda that if they were open and honest about the masses would reject.

Now, that was fun...my Italian Herb roasted free range chicken is ready to come out of the CO2 belching oven...

At the end of the day...we have a 1st world problem on our hands here and it's funny listening to people in the top 1% of the World population economically lecture and chastise themselves on the evils that got them and is sustaining them there. That my friends forms the basis of these Religious movements. Recognition of eco sin, forgiveness of eco sins and even indulgences paid to the MMGW Church in the form of Carbon Credits.
Well what I can say with certainty and authority is that I don't love you (I must be intimidated by your astonishing intellect and ability to see the world in a stunning, crystal reality), and that I understand perfectly well what 'Scam' is being played, and who's playing it. (Here's a hint for you Mr. Third Day [what does that third day refer to anyway?], look in the mirror.)

So while you're working on your new theories to replace the scammers corrupt, self-serving fairy tales (we can hardly wait), here are some materials you might like to check out to get those creative juices flowing:

On the beginning:

'About Time' by Paul Davies
'Three Roads to Quantum Gravity' by Lee Smolin
'The God Particle' by Leon Lederman

On peak oil:

'Hubbert's Peak' by Kenneth Deffeyes
'Annals of the Former World' by John McPhee

On global warming:

https://www.aip.org/history/climate/index.htm by Spencer Weart

On population:

'Guns, Germs and Steel' by Jared Diamond

These were all written for popular consumption, they may be a little simple for someone as highly trained as you, but they are all very informative in their own ways. The third, fourth, fifth and sixth show especially the one step forward, two steps back nature of science (though I'm sure you already know about that...)

Anyway, remember, no plagiarizing...this is all published and peer reviewed, so people will notice. I'm sure your original theories are way better anyhow.
Old 03-01-2016, 20:27   #1110

Quote:
We shall see NOAA is releasing Decembers Arctic sea ice report on Thursday.
The NSIDC report is more current. Just a one day lag.

Currently just below the 2012-2013 record year.

The long range trend

Closed Thread