Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 21:39   #1111
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,737
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Meanwhile in the rest of the world.

If we all agree that the world is indeed warming, that graph is yet another instance of a bad news beat up.

By using the mean temps (if that's what the base is?) between the years 1980 and 2010 the only possible results can be warmer overall. The interesting thing are the areas that are/were actually colder than this average and those exceedingly warmer. I'd think this indicates an external influence such as that related to atmospheric or oceanic circulation, as CO2 would be more or less homogeneous in the atmosphere and top layer of ocean. Why not compare with mean values from say the preceding 5 years instead? Surely this would be more meaningful and indicative as this graph just tells us what we already know?

__________________

__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 03-01-2016, 21:47   #1112
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,999
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote from jacks quote I find interesting from post 1105
"The circulation changes result in more frequent episodes of atmospheric blocking patterns, which lead to increased cold surges and snow over large parts of the northern continents."
But the described pattern of more snow on the northern continents is what was happening during the last ice age wasn't it? Read somewhea report by a palaeoclimatologist that the Arctic had little sea ice which resulted in similar snow and cold events that were in the report you quoted .
__________________

__________________
newhaul is online now  
Old 03-01-2016, 22:04   #1113
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,999
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The NSIDC report is more current. Just a one day lag.



Currently just below the 2012-2013 record year.

The long range trend

Don't know what's up but whenever I attempt to access the nsidc web site all I get is a blue screen with pictures of an ice sheet in the background
__________________
newhaul is online now  
Old 03-01-2016, 22:07   #1114
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,048
Images: 1
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
If we all agree that the world is indeed warming, that graph is yet another instance of a bad news beat up.

By using the mean temps (if that's what the base is?) between the years 1980 and 2010 the only possible results can be warmer overall. The interesting thing are the areas that are/were actually colder than this average and those exceedingly warmer. I'd think this indicates an external influence such as that related to atmospheric or oceanic circulation, as CO2 would be more or less homogeneous in the atmosphere and top layer of ocean. Why not compare with mean values from say the preceding 5 years instead? Surely this would be more meaningful and indicative as this graph just tells us what we already know?

30 years is the WMO standard for climate means.

CO is very well mixed gas. It varies about 15 ppm temporally and spatially.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline  
Old 03-01-2016, 22:08   #1115
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,034
Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
I've not read 'The Population Bomb' but I trust the reviews are generally correct in that the authors somewhat overstated their case. To call it a 'Scam', in the normal meaning of the word is patently ridiculous...

Great post Jim, but it really is a waste when it comes to Third here. He'll just insult you, and keep repeating his ridiculous claims. Really not worth any effort.

... Reading on, I see I was right.


Why go fast, when you can go slow
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now  
Old 03-01-2016, 22:09   #1116
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,048
Images: 1
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Don't know what's up but whenever I attempt to access the nsidc web site all I get is a blue screen with pictures of an ice sheet in the background
You are looking at the background image, not sure why.

Try

https://nsidc.org/
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline  
Old 03-01-2016, 22:15   #1117
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The polar vortex, not a new term, is a high pressure system.
Classic quote mining! Just goes to prove how morally degenerate you are. And where's your reference?


Oh and by the way:

"http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/winter/polar_vortex.shtml"

"The polar vortex is a large area of low pressure and cold air surrounding both of the Earth’s poles. "

Or maybe you're just aliterate
__________________
StuM is offline  
Old 03-01-2016, 22:21   #1118
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,048
Images: 1
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Classic quote mining! Just goes to prove how morally degenerate you are. And where's your reference?


Oh and by the way:

"http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/winter/polar_vortex.shtml"

"The polar vortex is a large area of low pressure and cold air surrounding both of the Earth’s poles. "

Or maybe you're just aliterate
Mea Culpa

I misspoke - you are correct. I confused it with an Polar / Arctic high, which is cold.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline  
Old 03-01-2016, 22:35   #1119
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,999
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
You are looking at the background image, not sure why.

Try

https://nsidc.org/
No didn't work starts to load then goes to nothing but background .
No problem I was going from memory on a polar vortex being a low pressure and we all know my memory ain't what it should be.( damaged short term when I was 15 bike wreck)
__________________
newhaul is online now  
Old 03-01-2016, 22:40   #1120
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,048
Images: 1
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
No didn't work starts to load then goes to nothing but background .
No problem I was going from memory on a polar vortex being a low pressure and we all know my memory ain't what it should be.( damaged short term when I was 15 bike wreck)
Your memory is good. You are correct it is a low. I confused it with an polar/Arctic high is is cold as well.

Try clearing your cache - which I hate doing or go to:

https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/sotc/sea_ice.html

That should get you on to the site.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline  
Old 03-01-2016, 22:40   #1121
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

'misspoke"?

Is that another of those irregular verbs as in:
I misspeak, they make mistakes, you lie?
__________________
StuM is offline  
Old 03-01-2016, 22:43   #1122
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,048
Images: 1
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
'misspoke"?

Is that another of those irregular verbs as in:
I misspeak, they make mistakes, you lie?
Sure OK - I lied. And fessed up - twice.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline  
Old 03-01-2016, 22:47   #1123
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,737
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
30 years is the WMO standard for climate means.

CO is very well mixed gas. It varies about 15 ppm temporally and spatially.
Then this serves no purpose as comparing weather to climate is comparing apples to oranges.
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 03-01-2016, 22:56   #1124
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,048
Images: 1
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Then this serves no purpose as comparing weather to climate is comparing apples to oranges.
You can compare weather and climate. Usually you are showing how much weather can deviate from climate. Our local TV meteorologists (we have a couple who have the degrees) usually give the long term averages (climate) compared with the current conditions (weather).

The Köppen Climate Classification System is the one I studied in freshman geography.

The 30 year trends using any temperature data base show warming.

The use of 1997 / 1998 as a start point is cherry picking a date that gives inordinate emphasis to the largest El Nino event of the previous 50 years. The was a huge temperature spike in March 1997.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline  
Old 03-01-2016, 23:03   #1125
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,737
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
You can compare weather and climate. Usually you are showing how much weather can deviate from climate. Our local TV meteorologists (we have a couple who have the degrees) usually give the long term averages (climate) compared with the current conditions (weather).

The Köppen Climate Classification System is the one I studied in freshman geography.

The 30 year trends using any temperature data base show warming.

The use of 1997 / 1998 as a start point is cherry picking a date that gives inordinate emphasis to the largest El Nino event of the previous 50 years. The was a huge temperature spike in March 1997.

M'kay. Was Sandy and Katrina weather or climate change? How 'bout this current el nino then?
__________________

__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising and the Coming Storm ~ Recession, Depression, Climate Change, Peak Oil jtbsail Off Topic Forum 162 13-10-2015 13:17
Weather Patterns / Climate Change anjou Off Topic Forum 185 19-01-2010 15:08
Climate Change GordMay Off Topic Forum 445 02-09-2008 08:48
Healthiest coral reefs hardest hit by climate change GordMay Off Topic Forum 33 11-05-2007 03:07



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.