Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 15:38   #1066
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Funny.... I don't remember "an active government" mandating Bill and his buddy Paul to come up with an operating system for the new fangled PC 40 years ago? And taxing the masses in order to fund it? .
You gotta love Big Government
The Government was still collecting the 3% telecom Tax to pay for the Spanish American War 108 yrs later....anyone still care to preach about the Value and efficiency of Big Government? I trust Corporations equally as Government...just as the Founding Fathers did also.

"If you like your Health Insurance, you can keep it"
...Bwaaaa...Haaaa Ha ha ha
Old 03-01-2016, 15:45   #1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
To state as clearly as possible why I feel the way I do I'd compare the corporation that is not responsive to its customers needs/wants versus the government that is not responsive to its citizens. The unresponsive corporation soon finds it's customers patronizing the competition and goes out of business, but since the government is the only game in town (it OWNS the town!), it can and frequently does continue being unresponsive with near impunity. I liken big government to a HUGE corporation with no competitors unless you are willing to uproot yourself and move thousands of miles from your home. Even the biggest and most powerful corporations have competitors but big government is a true monopoly. I really do understand the suspicion and fear many have of big corporations and their legions of lobbyists ensuring they always get their way, but I also think that the only thing we should fear more than that is an even bigger government that makes the rules as they go along and no matter how badly they screw up, they still have no competition. We're stuck with them and they know it.
...what about 2008 and banks that were too big to fail? If you really want to talk about a company that's too big to fail, imagine a corporation with a monopoly on nuclear generation. And, um, remember Enron...

Private industry is a necessary and valuable partner in energy, but I think even their CEOs would say that because of the length of the commitment (centuries if you include waste), regulatory issues, security etc, that large-scale energy initiatives have to be a government-business partnership.
Old 03-01-2016, 15:46   #1068
cruiser

Update:

At just under 1100 contributions to this thread, we've sailed past the "New Joke Thread" and are rapidly closing in on the "Joke Thread" for the number of posts.

Coincidence?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	116090  
Old 03-01-2016, 15:51   #1069

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
You gotta love Big Government
The Government was still collecting the 3% telecom Tax to pay for the Spanish American War 108 yrs later....anyone still care to preach about the Values of Bog Government?

"If you like your Health Insurance, you can keep it"
...Bwaaaa...Haaaa Ha ha ha
And today we're still diluting our gasoline with ethanol more than a decade after we all (environmentalists, "deniers," "chicken littles," etc.) became aware of the harm it does to our small engines and how it hurts gas mileage and increases costs of food and may even generate more CO2 during it's manufacture than it saves when it's burned, but we STILL are forced to use it because big government says so. Pay off the right people in big government and you can foist almost anything onto us, no matter what it costs or what it actually does to the environment.
Old 03-01-2016, 15:56   #1070

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Well there is another theory that is gaining momentum the rainbow gravity theory
Big Bang theory could be debunked by Large Hadron Collider - Telegraph. bye bye big bang hello rainbow
Physicists Warming Up the LHC Accidentally Create a Rainbow Universe ? NOVA Next | PBS
Just something else to consider .
I especially liked this part of the report:

Quote:
Among the curiosities Czerniski and her colleagues need to sort out is an artifact in the data that, when recreated in three-dimensions, appears to be the ghostly outline of a dolphin. At first they thought it was merely the computer’s desktop wallpaper bleeding through a transparent window, but after confirming the terminal’s settings, they dove deeper into the data. Subsequent analysis suggested the apparition is real as it registered at five sigma.
I heard that during the actual follow-on experiments, they're shooting for a unicorn to go with their rainbow.
Old 03-01-2016, 15:56   #1071
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Private industry is a necessary and valuable partner in energy, but I think even their CEOs would say that because of the length of the commitment (centuries if you include waste), regulatory issues, security etc, that large-scale energy initiatives have to be a government-business partnership.
You are dead on with this one LE and if we were really serious about MMGW we could eliminate how much C02, but just building Pebble Bed Nuclear reactors. Safe...clean...easy.

If I was king, the Federal Government would be in charge of this project and Coal (no such thing as a clean coal plant), Nat Gas, Fuel Oil, Bio Mass...it would all be replaced with clean Nuclear Power.

Now why can't we do that...Another Cult.
This time the MMNPD Cult (Man Made Nuclear Power Disaster). The same folks that stopped Nuclear power over scare "we are all going to die" tactics (see the resemblance) are the MMGW people of today. The Anti-Science Pro-Emotion and talking point folks are a big problem.

This is also one of the reasons that you know that MMGW is just a scam.
1) we can fix it with nuclear power if it really was a threat to the planet
2) we wouldn't sell Carbon Credits of it was going to kill us. (ever hear of Mustard Gas credits?)
Old 03-01-2016, 15:58   #1072

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
...what about 2008 and banks that were too big to fail? If you really want to talk about a company that's too big to fail, imagine a corporation with a monopoly on nuclear generation. And, um, remember Enron...

Banks were only too big to fail because big government said they were! It would have been better for us all if they had been allowed to fail and been replaced by more responsible ones. The same applies to GM and Chrysler. Yeah, it would have been very painful but we'd have recovered and the recovery would have been real, not the anemic economy we are stuck with today!

Funny you mention Enron because it DID fail. As bad as it was, imagine if it had been a government agency doing something equally corrupt. We'd probably have never heard about it and those responsible would have been shuffled off to other positions at their current pay rate and there would have been a coverup but none of us would be able to actually prove it. .
Old 03-01-2016, 16:02   #1073
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
And today we're still diluting our gasoline with ethanol more than a decade after we all (environmentalists, "deniers," "chicken littles," etc.) became aware of the harm it does to our small engines and how it hurts gas mileage and increases costs of food and may even generate more CO2 during it's manufacture than it saves when it's burned, but we STILL are forced to use it because big government says so. Pay off the right people in big government and you can foist almost anything onto us, no matter what it costs or what it actually does to the environment.
Oh and who started the Ethanol Scam...the MMGW Cultists...classic.
The Eco Imperialists push for Clean Renewable Energy (ethanol) so the Government latches on, gives tax credits and breaks and then...SHA-ZAM...ethanol is a net CO2 KILLER..ha ha ha.

So we all know that now, but can't stop it...why...because the machine has been put into place...the money is flowing.

This is exactly what is happening in the MMGW Scam industry...the machine is in place and to buck the machine and money flow it to be a heretic and get your head chopped off by a fanatic true believer or agency getting the money!

Ethanol is a MMGW scam that is actually Hurting the Environment and what do the MMGW scammers have to say for themselves about it....crickets. It was Bush's Fault....no how about...The Koch Brothers....na used too much...I know...it was due to White Privileged! There, now we got something that if you disagree with you are a racist...bingo...we got it now.
Old 03-01-2016, 16:02   #1074

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Ok, you're still mad at me.
You're giving yourself too much credit again. You're also assuming that others get as emotional as you do on an internet sailing forum exchanging ideas about global warming. Get over thyself.
Old 03-01-2016, 16:04   #1075
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Funny you mention Enron because it DID fail. As bad as it was, imagine if it had been a government agency doing something equally corrupt. We'd probably have never heard about it and those responsible would have been shuffled off to other positions at their current pay rate and there would have been a coverup but none of us would be able to actually prove it. .
Two Words:
Veterans Administration

A "Too Big To Fail" Government disaster.
No one fired.
No one held accountable.
and Veterans still being treated worse than a Syrian Refugee.
Old 03-01-2016, 16:21   #1076

Quote:
...The unresponsive corporation soon finds it's customers patronizing the competition and goes out of business, but since the government is the only game in town (it OWNS the town!), it can and frequently does continue being unresponsive with near impunity.
Corporations can't call out the SWAT, can't tax you into penury, can't throw you in jail for failing to adhere to regulations, can't condemn your home or farm and take it under eminent domain, nor take your cash using administrative procedures without hearing because the amount exceeds some arbitrary number the government feels might indicate the cash resulted from illegal activity.

In order words, government can become tyrannical; corporations, not so much.

Governments take the paths of their leadership unless leadership is held in check. I don't think government officials act more ethically or morally than private officers of companies.

I would gladly shop in L-Es Green Technology Shop, but I sure wouldn't want him appointed EPA Director in any administration.
Old 03-01-2016, 16:23   #1077

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
It's pretty obvious.....
A) At the current earth population it was predicted by the Population Bomb experts that we would die and starve to death...Scam.

B) The peak oiler used the fear game of running out of oil as a club to make us stop using the black evil stuff....scam. We have more oil today that we can use.

C) The Big Bang pushers said it was consensus... Settled science and scientists who pointed out flaws in the consensus were called Science Deniers (see the trend)...scam...the Big Bang is now just a popular TV show as the "science" behind it fell apart.
I've not read 'The Population Bomb' but I trust the reviews are generally correct in that the authors somewhat overstated their case. To call it a 'Scam', in the normal meaning of the word is patently ridiculous, because many, many people did die of starvation during the period predicted, and other warnings the aythors made are still relevant. That of course leaves out any positive effect the book might have had on actually reducing the severity of the problems it forecast, by making others aware of them...

Peak oil is a complex issue. The idea has been around since the early 20th century, but was not considered very seriously until a prediction in 1956 by a Shell geologist, M. King Hubbert, that peak oil production in the US would happen around 1970. He turned out to be correct. The US production is making a comeback, but as of now has still not reached the 1970 peak, and may not. It is interesting to note that the increase is almost entirely derived from production from 'tight' oil reserves that were previously uneconomical, using production techniques that were invented in the 50's, on reserves that have been known for decades. So much for 'technical innovation' coming to the rescue...

Many other areas have also reached their 'peaks' or have been exhausted. Saudi Arabian production has been flat for about 10 years, the North Sea production peaked in 1998, and has been declining since. Russia appears to have peaked in 1990, Nigeria in 2005, Brazil seems to have leveled off, but there are other things at work there...China appears to be at or near their peak...

A couple graphs

The 'Big Bang' remains the best explanation for the universe as we observe it now, from the time of its 'beginning' as we can conceive it. What, if anything, happened before is unknown, and perhaps unknowable. It is accepted by all serious scientists in its broadest implications, and has been tested to very, very fine levels of precision. The gold standard of science, predictions made and verified, has been accomplished by independent labs. The first two that come to mind are the measured red shifts of receding galaxies, and the measured cosmic microwave background radiation, a picture of which follows.

You, as a scientist, are of course welcome and encouraged to submit your theories and explanations challenging any of these works (oops, I mean scams). We wait with bated breath...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Well there is another theory that is gaining momentum the rainbow gravity theory
Big Bang theory could be debunked by Large Hadron Collider - Telegraph. bye bye big bang hello rainbow
Physicists Warming Up the LHC Accidentally Create a Rainbow Universe ? NOVA Next | PBS
Just something else to consider .
You'll notice the date on the PBS article is April 1st, 2015. I guess the Telegraph just ran the 'story'... Damn those devious CERN physicists...
Old 03-01-2016, 16:34   #1078

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
I would gladly shop in L-Es Green Technology Shop, but I sure wouldn't want him appointed EPA Director in any administration.
If nominated, I would not run; if elected I would not serve....

Anyway, ThirdDay has already been tapped as Trump's EPA Director. Position's filled.
Old 03-01-2016, 16:37   #1079
cruiser

Quote:
If nominated, I would not run; if elected I would not serve....

Anyway, ThirdDay has already been tapped as Trump's EPA Director. Position's filled.
If nominated for the position, I'd gladly accept, provided.... I'm allowed six months off per year to cruise the Med.
Old 03-01-2016, 17:04   #1080

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
jackdale, you really need to learn to spel correctly before publicly suggesting that anyone else is illiterate!
One too "l"s - I have to add that word to my spell check dictionary

a·lit·er·ate
āˈlidərət/
adjective
unwilling to read, although able to do so.
noun
an aliterate person.
Closed Thread