Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2016, 13:44   #5101
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,961
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Not quite an acronym, more like code words.
Here's mine to you:

"Have a Magical Day".

Disney staff reveal what it's REALLY like to work at Disney World on Whisper | Daily Mail Online
Now THIS was funny! But then it requires taking oneself much less seriously than some around here.
__________________

__________________
Exile is offline  
Old 22-05-2016, 13:45   #5102
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,961
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Worth watching, especially for the historical perspective.
__________________

__________________
Exile is offline  
Old 22-05-2016, 13:55   #5103
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Don't know about record highs but we have been below normal by 5 f. Here for almost a week even heard we had a record low in this same timeframe. But then thats called WEATHER. Last Months record high for one day is due to climate change.
The same phenom in Taxachusetts last month, but most here already drink the same Kool-Aid
__________________
Kenomac is online now  
Old 22-05-2016, 14:01   #5104
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Thanks Newhaul. I did a little poking around and found out who the local (regional) distributor is, but then I thought about it and believe Keno is correct about the very limited practicality of being choosy where you buy your fuel (unless you're set up for biodiesel maybe). I often avoid Citgo whenever possible, but only because I read it was owned by the govt. of Venezuela. But hey, are the sheiks any better? Oil is a worldwide commodity and little is accomplished being choosy except a bit of personal but fleeting personal gratification. Unless one is into the virtue signaling meme that is.
Actually, in the USA most of the oil is domestic these days, very little if any from the Middle East. It would be very nice if they'd finally run the pipeline down from Canada, then we could basically give the Middle East the one finger salute.
__________________
Kenomac is online now  
Old 22-05-2016, 14:16   #5105
Registered User
 
SailOar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 632
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Worth watching, especially for the historical perspective.
More history of the early "scientific" understanding of Climate Change.

__________________
SailOar is offline  
Old 22-05-2016, 14:33   #5106
Registered User
 
SailOar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 632
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Actually, in the USA most of the oil is domestic these days, very little if any from the Middle East. It would be very nice if they'd finally run the pipeline down from Canada, then we could basically give the Middle East the one finger salute.
From the US Energy Information Agency (EIA)

In 2015, the United States consumed a total of 7.08 billion barrels of petroleum products, an average of about 19.4 million barrels per day.

In 2015, the United States imported approximately 9.4 million barrels per day (MMb/d) of petroleum from about 82 countries...

In 2015, the United States exported about 4.8 MMb/d of petroleum to 136 countries...

The resulting net imports (imports minus exports) of petroleum were about 4.6 MMb/d.

The top five source countries of U.S. petroleum imports in 2015 were Canada, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Mexico, and Colombia.

__________________
SailOar is offline  
Old 22-05-2016, 14:43   #5107
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,992
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
From the US Energy Information Agency (EIA)

In 2015, the United States consumed a total of 7.08 billion barrels of petroleum products, an average of about 19.4 million barrels per day.

In 2015, the United States imported approximately 9.4 million barrels per day (MMb/d) of petroleum from about 82 countries...

In 2015, the United States exported about 4.8 MMb/d of petroleum to 136 countries...

The resulting net imports (imports minus exports) of petroleum were about 4.6 MMb/d.

The top five source countries of U.S. petroleum imports in 2015 were Canada, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Mexico, and Colombia.

Which means that the USA gets the vast majority of its oil from the Americas. I wonder about the oil imports from Venezuela considering the curent political situation
__________________
newhaul is online now  
Old 22-05-2016, 15:08   #5108
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
From the US Energy Information Agency (EIA)

In 2015, the United States consumed a total of 7.08 billion barrels of petroleum products, an average of about 19.4 million barrels per day.

In 2015, the United States imported approximately 9.4 million barrels per day (MMb/d) of petroleum from about 82 countries...

In 2015, the United States exported about 4.8 MMb/d of petroleum to 136 countries...

The resulting net imports (imports minus exports) of petroleum were about 4.6 MMb/d.

The top five source countries of U.S. petroleum imports in 2015 were Canada, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Mexico, and Colombia.

Thanks for looking up what I already know. Like I wrote.... build the pipeline to Canada, then wave goodbye to the Middle east with one finger.... not the thumb.
__________________
Kenomac is online now  
Old 22-05-2016, 17:37   #5109
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
When I make an error I am happy to acknowledge it.

...

the fight to reduce warming by 1/5th of a degree in 85 years.
Assertion, and then error. So... better put on your happy face and start acknowledging.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 22-05-2016, 18:10   #5110
Registered User
 
Delfin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA
Boat: 55' Romsdal
Posts: 1,390
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Assertion, and then error. So... better put on your happy face and start acknowledging.
Perchance are you referring to the modeled impact of the Paris Accords based on IPCC models to be 1/5th of a degree, and that optimistically? You think this is erroneous?
__________________
http://delfin.talkspot.com
When stupidity is a sufficient explanation, there is no need to appeal to another cause.
- Ulmann's Razor
Delfin is offline  
Old 22-05-2016, 18:26   #5111
Registered User
 
Delfin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA
Boat: 55' Romsdal
Posts: 1,390
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Now this is quite interesting:



When you have an R2 value >.99 you have a pretty strong correlation. The discussion on what this means is here: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/05/...nd-global-co2/

I think there are multiple things one can conclude from this relationship. First, when people like me say that short of killing off a few billion people there isn't going to be much of a reduction in atmospheric CO2 however many trillions are wasted in the effort is supported by the data. Second, we're not likely to see the doubling of CO2 anytime soon that gets warmists' undies in such a bunch.

As the author says, whether when we reach 10 billion people in the next few decades and CO2 concentration is now around 500 ppm we all spontaneously catch on fire or enjoy a marvelously more productive planet remains to be seen, but based on what I know of horticulture, I'm going with the latter.
__________________
http://delfin.talkspot.com
When stupidity is a sufficient explanation, there is no need to appeal to another cause.
- Ulmann's Razor
Delfin is offline  
Old 22-05-2016, 19:13   #5112
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,992
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Now this is quite interesting:



When you have an R2 value >.99 you have a pretty strong correlation. The discussion on what this means is here: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/05/...nd-global-co2/

I think there are multiple things one can conclude from this relationship. First, when people like me say that short of killing off a few billion people there isn't going to be much of a reduction in atmospheric CO2 however many trillions are wasted in the effort is supported by the data. Second, we're not likely to see the doubling of CO2 anytime soon that gets warmists' undies in such a bunch.

As the author says, whether when we reach 10 billion people in the next few decades and CO2 concentration is now around 500 ppm we all spontaneously catch on fire or enjoy a marvelously more productive planet remains to be seen, but based on what I know of horticulture, I'm going with the latter.
So all we need to do is reduce the population to solve the problem just like the euginic MMGW croud want to do . Not a good solution if I do say so myself.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now  
Old 22-05-2016, 19:17   #5113
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,048
Images: 1
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
B

Maybe you or someone who knows how to transpose the data can show the UAH & GISS data directly compared to each other on a single graph, with reasonable start & end point years that don't unduly bias the trend line in either direction so as to distort the results. The we could more clearly see the actual disparities. I would imagine it would be particularly useful to see recent comparisons in light of all the chatter in the media lately about recent temps being the "warmest on record, etc."
Using the IMO time frame of 30 years for climate data.



Happy?
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline  
Old 22-05-2016, 20:48   #5114
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Perchance are you referring to the modeled impact of the Paris Accords based on IPCC models to be 1/5th of a degree, and that optimistically? You think this is erroneous?
The difference between acting and not acting to limit or reduce human CO2 emissions is projected to be a global temperature rise by 2100 that's over an order of magnitude greater than your 1/5 of a degree.

So, yeah, you're in error.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 22-05-2016, 21:01   #5115
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,961
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Using the IMO time frame of 30 years for climate data.



Happy?
Almost. But see how easy this was so far? All we need now is a punch line, namely a numerical comparison btwn. the two temperature trends and the significance of the disparity according to the science. I think I'm seeing about 0.6 degs. over 30 yrs. for GISS (surface data), and maybe 0.4/5 for UAH (sat data) over the same time period? Gotta be a more reliable way to measure than relying on my eyes.
__________________

__________________
Exile is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising and the Coming Storm ~ Recession, Depression, Climate Change, Peak Oil jtbsail Off Topic Forum 162 13-10-2015 13:17
Weather Patterns / Climate Change anjou Off Topic Forum 185 19-01-2010 15:08
Climate Change GordMay Off Topic Forum 445 02-09-2008 08:48
Healthiest coral reefs hardest hit by climate change GordMay Off Topic Forum 33 11-05-2007 03:07



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:12.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.