Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2016, 21:04   #4951
Registered User
 
adoxograph's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ 'ʇsɐoɔ ǝuıɥsuns
Boat: Landlocked right now.
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
But judge for yourself.
In the meantime I've read the whole paper. I can't find any fault in his method, in his results or his conclusions. His work is not about climate change, Prof. Lewandowsky is a psychologist and his work in general is looking into the psychological component of a range of subjects like conspiracy theories and denying or diluting scientific research results.

I wanted to discuss this with my wife and all she said was something like that: "Procrastinating again, are we? Shouldn't you work on your thesis? Lewandowski you say? Yeah I know of his work in Perth and that he had to pull one of his studies because of legal reasons - he became victim of his own study. The irony is that they did exactly what he described that science deniers and conspiracy nuts would do, only this time it was directed against him."

I can't look into that right now as I have to "work on my thesis".

Maybe someone else is up to to "discredit" the good professor?

Disclaimer:
1. I'm married to a psychologist.
2. I plan to call my boat "Don't ask"
__________________

__________________
adoxograph is offline  
Old 19-05-2016, 23:00   #4952
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Whoa... Bad day in the vice principal's office?

The last time I checked, this is my thread, and I like talking about coral, fishies and those cute little puffins that fly away to places where us humanoids won't pester them by playing with their eggs.

So no.... I'll stick around and continue to cheerleader for global warming.
Whoa so it's your fault
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 19-05-2016, 23:15   #4953
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Lucky I had swallowed my mouthful of coffee just before I read that.

That one wins the post of month!
I had a good laugh at that too
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 20-05-2016, 05:38   #4954
Registered User
 
SailOar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 629
Re: Why Climate Change WILL Matter in 20 Years

The vicious cycle that makes people afraid to talk about climate change Washington Post
Quote:
Such is the upshot of new research on why people “self-silence” when it comes to climate change, just published in the Journal of Environmental Psychology by Nathaniel Geiger and Janet Swim of Penn State University. In a nutshell, Geiger and Swim find that people are often afraid to talk about climate change with their peers because they wrongly think those peers are more doubtful about climate change than they actually are. This incorrect perception — which the authors dub “pluralistic ignorance” — then makes people fear that others will think they’re less competent, and thus, view them with less respect, if they bring up the subject or talk about it.

And then, that cascades and suppresses interpersonal conversations that might otherwise help put the issue more on the agenda. “There potentially can be this kind of spiral, where people are silent because they don’t know what other people think and people don’t know what other people think because nobody’s talking about it,” says Geiger, a PhD student in the Psychology Department at Penn State.[...]

Geiger adds that although the research looked only at relatively liberal students at Penn State University, in other parts of the country — such as, say, states that are suing to block the Obama administration’s Clean Power Plan — the self-silencing is likely to be considerably more powerful.

This research, of course, also implies a way to stop self-silencing — namely, give people more accurate perceptions of how those around them think. So it stands to reason that hearing more people speak out about climate change — in politics, in marches and demonstrations, and much else — might help make more people speak out about climate change.[...]
.
__________________
SailOar is offline  
Old 20-05-2016, 05:56   #4955
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
In the meantime I've read the whole paper. I can't find any fault in his method, in his results or his conclusions. His work is not about climate change, Prof. Lewandowsky is a psychologist and his work in general is looking into the psychological component of a range of subjects like conspiracy theories and denying or diluting scientific research results.
Exile would have you believe that the majority of the right-wing skeptics and deniers have each pondered the matter seriously and at length, and after careful review and comparison of the IPCC-sponsored case with the opinions of the few dissenting scientists, have all independently concluded that AGW is not proven. Or worse.

Simultaneously, these thoughtful lay skeptics like Exile have also determined with equal rigour that the actual scientists, in their lust for grants, peer acceptance and a lauded career, have chosen to suppress individual doubts to back the consensus (which doesn't exist, amirite?), the IPCC is merely a tool of a great green soshulist conspiracy which has bent the crisis of AGW to their nefarious ends, and the governments of the US and other western democracies are willing co-conspirators in their never-ending quest for more power and taxes.

It's simply preposterous, says Exile, to suggest that the lobbies of the fossil-fuel industries and their like-minded friends in business have banded together to create institutions and other outlets to generate and disseminate opposition to the finding of AGW. The near-unanimous opposition to the IPCC message in the rightwing press and blogosphere is merely the coming-together of all thoughtful conservatives, who, each having independently reached their conclusions, are finding to their delight that every other conservative has decided the EXACT SAME THING! Oh the power of sober, pragmatic conservatism to achieve great things. Or at least to block dumb things. Amirite?
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 20-05-2016, 06:15   #4956
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slidell, La.
Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Posts: 1,102
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
Are you suggesting caveat emptor?

Here's another one on the same lines:

__________________
jimbunyard is offline  
Old 20-05-2016, 06:36   #4957
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Exile would have you believe that the majority of the right-wing skeptics and deniers have each pondered the matter seriously and at length, and after careful review and comparison of the IPCC-sponsored case with the opinions of the few dissenting scientists, have all independently concluded that AGW is not proven. Or worse.

Simultaneously, these thoughtful lay skeptics like Exile have also determined with equal rigour that the actual scientists, in their lust for grants, peer acceptance and a lauded career, have chosen to suppress individual doubts to back the consensus (which doesn't exist, amirite?), the IPCC is merely a tool of a great green soshulist conspiracy which has bent the crisis of AGW to their nefarious ends, and the governments of the US and other western democracies are willing co-conspirators in their never-ending quest for more power and taxes.

It's simply preposterous, says Exile, to suggest that the lobbies of the fossil-fuel industries and their like-minded friends in business have banded together to create institutions and other outlets to generate and disseminate opposition to the finding of AGW. The near-unanimous opposition to the IPCC message in the rightwing press and blogosphere is merely the coming-together of all thoughtful conservatives, who, each having independently reached their conclusions, are finding to their delight that every other conservative has decided the EXACT SAME THING! Oh the power of sober, pragmatic conservatism to achieve great things. Or at least to block dumb things. Amirite?
No.
__________________
Kenomac is offline  
Old 20-05-2016, 07:22   #4958
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
No.
Not much of an argument there. For a guy who couldn't care less, why even bother with "No"?
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 20-05-2016, 09:30   #4959
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Oregon Local News - Portland school board bans climate change-denying materials

"The resolution passed Tuesday evening calls for the school district to get rid of textbooks or other materials that cast doubt on whether climate change is occurring and that the activity of human beings is responsible. The resolution also directs the superintendent and staff to develop an implementation plan for “curriculum and educational opportunities that address climate change and climate justice in all Portland Public Schools.”

This my friends is how a Religious Cult operates.
Ban and make it Illegal to even discuss the issue in Church or acknowledge that not everyone believes as you do.

Consensus is Code for Censorship, all brought to you by the Tolerant Left.
__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline  
Old 20-05-2016, 09:48   #4960
Registered User
 
iyamwhatiyam's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlantic Beach, FL
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 103
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Prosecuting Climate Change ‘Deniers’ is an Abuse of Power

They call themselves “AGs United for Clean Power.” A more accurate name would be “AGs United to Silence Dissent.”

I’m referring to a coalition of 17 attorneys general representing 15 states as well as the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands. They announced at a press conference on March 29 that they will be targeting any companies that challenge the “accepted” wisdom of catastrophic climate change.
__________________
iyamwhatiyam is offline  
Old 20-05-2016, 09:50   #4961
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Islam chops off heads of Deniers
Christianity once burned Deniers at the Stake
Now the MMGW Cult is having it's day in the sun

History repeats itself for those that think there is actually anything new under the sun.
__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline  
Old 20-05-2016, 09:52   #4962
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Oregon Local News - Portland school board bans climate change-denying materials

"The resolution passed Tuesday evening calls for the school district to get rid of textbooks or other materials that cast doubt on whether climate change is occurring and that the activity of human beings is responsible. The resolution also directs the superintendent and staff to develop an implementation plan for “curriculum and educational opportunities that address climate change and climate justice in all Portland Public Schools.”

This my friends is how a Religious Cult operates.
Ban and make it Illegal to even discuss the issue in Church or acknowledge that not everyone believes as you do.

Consensus is Code for Censorship, all brought to you by the Tolerant Left.
Actually, the content of most US gradeschool textbooks are very much determined by schoolboards in California and Texas who are the biggest single purchasers of textbooks. And those boards mostly skew conservative... especially in Texas, who are not that keen on being second-guessed by experts.

Given your continued interest in religion and its influence on science, i thought you'd appreciate some detail on how this achieved.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 20-05-2016, 09:53   #4963
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,979
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Oregon Local News - Portland school board bans climate change-denying materials

"The resolution passed Tuesday evening calls for the school district to get rid of textbooks or other materials that cast doubt on whether climate change is occurring and that the activity of human beings is responsible. The resolution also directs the superintendent and staff to develop an implementation plan for “curriculum and educational opportunities that address climate change and climate justice in all Portland Public Schools.”

This my friends is how a Religious Cult operates.
Ban and make it Illegal to even discuss the issue in Church or acknowledge that not everyone believes as you do.

Consensus is Code for Censorship, all brought to you by the Tolerant Left.
Read the article and noticed that the school board member that pushed this resolution is associated with the company that produces the pro MMGW textbook that they are pushing the district to purchase to replace the books that they want them to throw away.
MMGW at its finest FOLLOW THE MONEY .
And here I thought teaching religion in school was against the rules
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now  
Old 20-05-2016, 10:20   #4964
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
And here I thought teaching religion in school was against the rules
Pass the Collection plate...and follow the money.

Some Religions are more Equal than others....
__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline  
Old 20-05-2016, 10:28   #4965
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Pass the Collection plate...and follow the money.

Some Religions are more Equal than others....
Amen comrade. Praise the Globe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.gif
Views:	45
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	124606  
__________________

__________________
Kenomac is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising and the Coming Storm ~ Recession, Depression, Climate Change, Peak Oil jtbsail Off Topic Forum 162 13-10-2015 13:17
Weather Patterns / Climate Change anjou Off Topic Forum 185 19-01-2010 15:08
Climate Change GordMay Off Topic Forum 445 02-09-2008 08:48
Healthiest coral reefs hardest hit by climate change GordMay Off Topic Forum 33 11-05-2007 03:07



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.