Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 17:11   #4861
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Yes, that's what bleached coral looks like. But what I was wondering if you knew what caused it? You said that that the sun causes the bleaching. So I was wondering why you thought the sun causes the bleaching? Do you mean like the sun fades the colors of your clothes?
Lots of causes:

"In contrast to researchers like Hoegh-Guldberg who emphasizes coral bleaching as a deadly product of global warming, bleaching is a visible stage in a complex set of acclimation mechanisms during which coral expel, shift and shuffle their symbionts, seeking the most beneficial partnership possible. Bleaching can be induced by stressful interactions between temperatures, disease, heavy rains, high irradiance from clear skies and competition with seaweeds. Indeed abrupt warm water events like El Nino have induced widespread bleaching and high mortality. But cold winters or La Nina induced upwelling of colder waters have also induced bleaching."

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/05/...o-extirpation/
__________________

__________________
StuM is online now  
Old 18-05-2016, 17:28   #4862
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Boat: CT 56
Posts: 418
Images: 3
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Speaking of water, what are you fellow Canadians drinking up there that places all of you so firmly on the same page with this Global Warming stuff?

Is it the education system? I wouldn't know since I migrated (like the birds and fishies do ) to the USA when I was two years old. I moved from a very cold Hamilton, Ontario to sunny and hot Southern, California.... and didn't drown or die due to the climate change.

Or is it the long, cold winter contributing to a vitamin D deficiency that's making you depressed?
Absolutely, I believe that they start the indoctrination in Grade 1, at least based on the comments of all my Grandchildren. How would global warming come to the attention of 6 year olds? I posted this once before, in that it doesn't matter what the opinion of the older generations are as all the children are being trained up by the system controlled by the left including GW, Transgender rights and wealth redistribution.

My personal opinion doesn't matter and won't make a difference and I hope this post doesn't indicate my position in any direction. We did install 10Kva of solar at home but only because I got tired of paying the exorbitant bills as a result of Ontario's policies. With interest rates at near zero there was a better return than leaving the money in the bank.
__________________

__________________
undercutter is offline  
Old 18-05-2016, 17:29   #4863
Registered User
 
iyamwhatiyam's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlantic Beach, FL
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 103
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
A realist sees that the glass is full - of a certain quantity of liquid and a certain quantity of atmospheric gases.
My glass is full of tequila, tropical juices and gases, I'm realistic and thankful about that. I'm philosophical about the fact the water is made up of gases, in the triune fashion.
__________________
iyamwhatiyam is offline  
Old 18-05-2016, 18:13   #4864
Registered User
 
adoxograph's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ 'ʇsɐoɔ ǝuıɥsuns
Boat: Landlocked right now.
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

This thread is a textbook example for Poe's law.

Fascinating to watch though, but I'm still not sure who of you takes this serious and who of you is on the sarcastic side.
__________________
adoxograph is offline  
Old 18-05-2016, 18:16   #4865
Registered User
 
adoxograph's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ 'ʇsɐoɔ ǝuıɥsuns
Boat: Landlocked right now.
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwhatiyam View Post
My glass is full of tequila, tropical juices and gases, I'm realistic and thankful about that. I'm philosophical about the fact the water is made up of gases, in the triune fashion.
I suggest to the gases out of our glasses.
__________________
adoxograph is offline  
Old 18-05-2016, 18:20   #4866
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,964
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Absolutely, I believe that they start the indoctrination in Grade 1, at least based on the comments of all my Grandchildren. How would global warming come to the attention of 6 year olds? I posted this once before, in that it doesn't matter what the opinion of the older generations are as all the children are being trained up by the system controlled by the left including GW, Transgender rights and wealth redistribution.

My personal opinion doesn't matter and won't make a difference and I hope this post doesn't indicate my position in any direction. We did install 10Kva of solar at home but only because I got tired of paying the exorbitant bills as a result of Ontario's policies. With interest rates at near zero there was a better return than leaving the money in the bank.
You mean all those promised services provided by your govt. weren't "free" after all?? The policies themselves are bad enough, but what I find most pathetic and worrisome is that older kids and college students don't seem to be taught how to think critically & independently. The resulting conformity, suppression of dissent, and often intimidation of those with conservative or religious beliefs as "politically incorrect" is all too often the result. Talk about "anti-intellectualism," except it's all in the name of "progressivism."
__________________
Exile is offline  
Old 18-05-2016, 18:23   #4867
Registered User
 
iyamwhatiyam's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlantic Beach, FL
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 103
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

The truth is, based on my most recent discussion with my wife regarding whether pointy things should be pointed UP in the dishwasher, which is in direct conflict with placing said pointy things pointing downward in the little slots, the slots she claims absolutely prevent the pointy things from ever being cleaned in the sanitary fashion, thereby necessitating the downward placement in the COMMON BIN, in order to ensure cleanliness and safety, it came to light...

That I blame my lovely wife for EVERYTHING, but if you want to attack her for global warming you have to go through me and the dachshund first. If you want my 250 gal propane tank and the GE convective double oven, you'll have to ask Tammy first. Just a word of caution, she has the safe combo.
__________________
iyamwhatiyam is offline  
Old 18-05-2016, 18:25   #4868
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
I posted this once before, in that it doesn't matter what the opinion of the older generations are as all the children are being trained up by the system controlled by the left including GW, Transgender rights and wealth redistribution.
Canada had almost 10 years of a conservative federal government, and many provinces have or had conservative or centrist governments. So how has the left managed to sieze control of education?

Even Harper's government recognised GW, though they had little appetite for responding to it.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 18-05-2016, 18:31   #4869
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,964
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Canada had almost 10 years of a conservative federal government, and many provinces have or had conservative or centrist governments. So how has the left managed to sieze control of education?

Even Harper's government recognised GW, though they had little appetite for responding to it.
The same reason why US college campuses are dominated by left-leaning tenured faculty, despite decades of both conservative and liberal govts. What does one have to do with the other?
__________________
Exile is offline  
Old 18-05-2016, 18:39   #4870
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
This thread is a textbook example for Poe's law.

Fascinating to watch though, but I'm still not sure who of you takes this serious and who of you is on the sarcastic side.
Had to google it.

This thread is a sociology experiment by the moderators of CF; previously they would have shut this non-sailing mess down relatively quickly. I guess allowing one such thread to fester flourish keeps the noise down in the rest of CF.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 18-05-2016, 18:47   #4871
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
The same reason why US college campuses are dominated by left-leaning tenured faculty, despite decades of both conservative and liberal govts. What does one have to do with the other?
I don't think you can compare colleges and universities (which are supposedly free of control over curricula) with public k-12 schools. In Canada, schools are under provincial control.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 18-05-2016, 18:59   #4872
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,964
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I don't think you can compare colleges and universities (which are supposedly free of control over curricula) with public k-12 schools. In Canada, schools are under provincial control.
OK, so a Canadian poster just stated that his 6-yr. old grandchild was talking about GW, but you know that schools in Canada are not dominated by leftists how?
__________________
Exile is offline  
Old 18-05-2016, 19:05   #4873
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 4,030
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

OK I have a question how much of the particulates in the air is anthropogenic, and how much is biogenic,?
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now  
Old 18-05-2016, 19:17   #4874
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
OK, so a Canadian poster just stated that his 6-yr. old grandchild was talking about GW, but you know that schools in Canada are not dominated by leftists how?


You know that Canadian schools are dominated by leftists, do you?
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 18-05-2016, 19:22   #4875
Registered User
 
Delfin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA
Boat: 55' Romsdal
Posts: 1,390
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Escorting, not ice breaking, for 36 hours.



See much ice?
Scary.

No ice here, either:

__________________

__________________
http://delfin.talkspot.com
When stupidity is a sufficient explanation, there is no need to appeal to another cause.
- Ulmann's Razor
Delfin is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising and the Coming Storm ~ Recession, Depression, Climate Change, Peak Oil jtbsail Off Topic Forum 162 13-10-2015 13:17
Weather Patterns / Climate Change anjou Off Topic Forum 185 19-01-2010 15:08
Climate Change GordMay Off Topic Forum 445 02-09-2008 08:48
Healthiest coral reefs hardest hit by climate change GordMay Off Topic Forum 33 11-05-2007 03:07



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.