Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2016, 10:20   #4756

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Umm, did you notice average temps approaching +3 above average, and SST's at around +2.5? Surely even you die hard warmistas aren't buying the climate change line.

Or is it the usual case that weather becomes climate when it supports the cause?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-05-2016, 10:20   #4757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Link?
Link was provided in his earlier post. It starts with the usual myth that in the 70s we were afraid of global cooling. That should tell you what you need to know, but you might get entertainment from the rest.
Old 17-05-2016, 10:26   #4758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Umm, did you notice average temps approaching +3 above average, and SST's at around +2.5? Surely even you die hard warmistas aren't buying the climate change line.

Or is it the usual case that weather becomes climate when it supports the cause?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
This is a strange argument. IT IS REALLY WARM. IT CAN'T BE WARMING!!

I said, and I will say it again, (as every source I have seen also says): El Nino conditions resulted in significantly warmer than average conditions leading to bleaching and these warm conditions were superimposed on an existing warming trend. I will say it even stronger: A bleaching event of this magnitude would not have occurred without the impacts of El Nino. However, that does not say that the El Nino event would have led to the same level of impact absent the existing warming. After all, based on your sources, it is the warmest or second warmest April, but somehow not the first El Nino event we have ever experienced.
Old 17-05-2016, 10:34   #4759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
From a source without a dog in the fight...

Low level coral bleaching on the Great Barrier Reef - GBRMPA
[published March 1, 2016]
Patchy bleaching has been detected on multiple reefs in mainly shallow areas where corals are frequently exposed to high levels of sunlight.

Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority Chairman Dr Russell Reichelt said February and March represent the highest risk periods for mass coral bleaching on the Reef because of hot and dry conditions associated with the El Niño weather system and high sea surface temperatures usually present at this time of year.

“Bleaching is a clear signal that living corals are under physiological stress. If that stress is bad enough for long enough, the corals can die. Corals generally have a temperature limit, and the bleaching indicates they’re outside of their comfort zone,” Dr Reichelt said.

“At this stage, there appears to be low rates of coral mortality restricted to a small number of reefs, and most of the corals affected by bleaching are those that are particularly vulnerable to this type of event such as plate and branching corals.

“Sea surface temperatures are fluctuating across the 345,000 square kilometres of Marine Park, but in some areas they’ve ranged up to 2.5 degrees above the average for summer. This has been exacerabated by lack of cloud cover....
‘And then we wept': Scientists say 93 percent of the Great Barrier Reef now bleached | Washington Post
Quote:
April 20, 2016
The conclusions are in from a series of scientific surveys of the Great Barrier Reef bleaching event — an environmental assault on the largest coral ecosystem on Earth — and scientists aren’t holding back about how devastating they find them.

Australia’s National Coral Bleaching Task Force has surveyed 911 coral reefs by air, and found at least some bleaching on 93 percent of them. The amount of damage varies from severe to light, but the bleaching was the worst in the reef’s remote northern sector — where virtually no reefs escaped it.[...]

Severe bleaching means that corals could die, depending on how long they are subject to these conditions. The scientists also reported that based on diving surveys of the northern reef, they already are seeing nearly 50 percent coral death.

“The fact that the most severely affected regions are those that are remote and hence otherwise in good shape, means that a lot of prime reef is being devastated,” said Nancy Knowlton, Sant Chair for Marine Science at the Smithsonian Institution, in an email in response to the bleaching announcement. “One has to hope that these protected reefs are more resilient and better able to [recover], but it will be a lengthy process even so.”[...]

Old 17-05-2016, 10:54   #4760

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Link?
Forbes Welcome

(yes, it loads lousy, keep scrolling)

One of many. Google climategate and you will have both sides, (it doesn't matter!!!), but it's pretty clear that there was and is data manipulation and dirty politics.

Also how to make your own hockey stick.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/08/...stick-at-home/
Old 17-05-2016, 11:51   #4761
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Coral Bleaching Taskforce documents most severe bleaching on record
Coral Bleaching Taskforce documents most severe bleaching on record – ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies

Only 7% of the Great Barrier Reef has avoided coral bleaching
Only 7% of the Great Barrier Reef has avoided coral bleaching – ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies

Corals worldwide hit by bleaching. Warm ocean waters combine with El Niño to turn reefs a stark white.
Corals worldwide hit by bleaching : Nature News & Comment

See also the NOAA Coral Reef Watch program:
NOAA Coral Reef Watch Homepage and Near-Real-Time Product Portal
Climate change disables coral bleaching protection on the Great Barrier Reef | Science
http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satel...ions_NCRMP.pdf

Please do dispute them.
Gord,

Did you go down and see for yourself? Or, are you just cutting and pasting stuff off the internet?
Old 17-05-2016, 12:03   #4762
cruiser

Please keep in mind, when there is a die off in one area due to changing habitat, there's usually a different area experiencing wildlife migration and a growing population due to local habitat changing to a more favorable condition.

The trouble is.... The Global warming crowd only see the die off and doesn't bother to look for new growth.

I remember a study and TV wildlife film from a few years back involving puffins. The scientists were counting eggs and lamenting on how the sub Arctic puffins were dying off and soon.... there would be no more puffins due to global warming and climate change. What the dumbasses didn't notice (because they were too busy counting eggs, pestering and harassing the remaining puffins) is that 100 miles away, a puffin colony had grown by 200% in only a year.

Puffins have wings.... they simply flew to the new colony where they wouldn't be harassed and pestered. Just like cruisers, they wanted to be left alone.

The show ended with the scientists scratching their asses wondering as to what was happening.
Old 17-05-2016, 12:05   #4763

Boat: Vagabond 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Gord,

Did you go down and see for yourself? Or, are you just cutting and pasting stuff off the internet?

Cutting and pasting... and only the stuff that supports his desired result while ignoring anything that might contradict it.
Old 17-05-2016, 12:17   #4764
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurninTurtle View Post
Cutting and pasting... and only the stuff that supports his desired result while ignoring anything that might contradict it.
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of that going on.
Old 17-05-2016, 12:28   #4765

These are all very compelling arguments. I now doubt the existence of Pluto, as I have never gone to see it. I also doubt that electrons exist. For that matter, I also doubt the existence of Kenomac since I have never met him.

I also doubt that anyone is doing any research into coral resilience, adaptation and shifting reef ranges because i heard from a fellow who once watched a nature documentary about ass-scratching scientists.
Old 17-05-2016, 12:52   #4766
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_f View Post
These are all very compelling arguments. I now doubt the existence of Pluto, as I have never gone to see it. I also doubt that electrons exist. For that matter, I also doubt the existence of Kenomac since I have never met him.

I also doubt that anyone is doing any research into coral resilience, adaptation and shifting reef ranges because i heard from a fellow who once watched a nature documentary about ass-scratching scientists.
Fish can swim, some can swim great distances or even migrate slowly over to new coral reefs as their old reef fades.

I've seen fish swim first hand. You should take the time to travel on down to your local aquarium or pet store and see for yourself. Then you won't have those nagging doubts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	124514  
Old 17-05-2016, 12:58   #4767

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwhatiyam View Post
Forbes Welcome

(yes, it loads lousy, keep scrolling)

One of many. Google climategate and you will have both sides, (it doesn't matter!!!), but it's pretty clear that there was and is data manipulation and dirty politics.

Also how to make your own hockey stick.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/08/...stick-at-home/
And we can add further admissions from the globalists...
U.N. Official Reveals Real Reason Behind Warming Scare | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD
Old 17-05-2016, 13:07   #4768

As an aside, this struck me as amusing. I just "discovered" a google feature. If you google "<some animal> conservation status", google will give you a box with a picture of the animal, and a status category. i.e., "african elephant conservation status" returns "Vulnerable, population increasing". "jaguar conservation status" returns "Near threatened, population decreasing." "red-tailed hawk conservation status" returns "Least concern, population increasing." Doesn't work for all animals, but it does for lots.

"puffin conservation status" just returns "Not extinct".

Kenomak, I think you actually are on to something here about ass-scratching puffin scientists.
Old 17-05-2016, 13:10   #4769
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwhatiyam View Post

The money Quote:

“This is the first time in the history of mankind that we are setting ourselves the task of intentionally, within a defined period of time, to change the economic development model that has been reigning for at least 150 years, since the Industrial Revolution”

Follow the Money folks...the Consensus isn't about Climate change, but about Control. Bingo
Old 17-05-2016, 13:26   #4770
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_f View Post
"puffin conservation status" just returns "Not extinct."

Kenomak, I think you actually are on to something here about ass-scratching puffin scientists.

Would you like to hear the one about the Emperor penguin scientists?

They were so busy tagging the ears of the Emperor penguins that their brains must have froze up. Turns out the colony was declining because the females wouldn't mate with the dumb looking males with the stupid tags on their ears.

The ass-scratchers had inadvertently created a growing colony of gay male penguins. LOL
Closed Thread