Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2016, 10:28   #4321
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleychuck View Post
Damn Rich, best thing I've read in awhile
Ha ha ha...well just don't let Charlie know I wrote that vs getting my company CC receipts entered into QuickBooks like he has been after me to do since the last boat show......
Old 10-05-2016, 11:13   #4322

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
What to do about AGW is a global policy problem.

Read all the words, please; they're not there for decoration.
Whoa! Jack is back!

Despite all the attempts at marketing, MMGW is only a policy problem to the extent the science supports it, and people who live in democratic societies believe that such science and the people advancing it are credible. To the extent part or all of the science, at any particular point in its development, is not credible nor supported, then the remedies will have to match the known extent of the projected harm. But this basic reality probably only amounts to another unsubstantiated "factlet" for the "true believers" trying to make themselves feel important and relevant. It is after all, mostly about how they FEEL, right?

It will instead become a cost-benefit analysis that societies will have to make, and policymakers will have respond to rationally if they want to get re-elected. I get the sense that, above all else, people are tired of being preached to by know-nothings who claim the moral high ground but don't practice it, all the while berating others for exercising their opinions, religion, and personal preferences. If we want to stop the growing trend towards intolerance, there should be fewer "safe places" so people like L-E will become more exposed to diverse points of view and forced out of their narrow-minded fantasy bubbles. Speaking of, is there some sort of connection I'm missing btwn. a person's opinions on CC and compassion for poor people?? That was one of the nastier & idiotic comments to date, imho.

Ironically, I found MikeOReilly -- probably one of the posters with some of the more politically extreme views on this thread -- to nevertheless be one of the more honest & credible. While I couldn't differ more profoundly with his politics, I respected the honesty with which he advocated his beliefs. By contrast, Jack's one-sided online propaganda machine eventually revealed transparent partisanship, while SailOar openly acknowledged the "value" of alarmism and continues to follow-up with similarly themed cartoons. This sort of dishonesty is representative of a "means justifying ends" (or "we know what's good for you") approach that I find distasteful and ultimately not credible.

As for L-E . . . well . . . reminds me of the car you really want to buy but would never do so solely on account of the salesman. 'Nuff said. I think Delfin got it right awhile back when he likened what we've seen in this thread as a form of "pseudo-intellectual narcissim." My confidence in mainstream CC science has eroded, and for the planet's sake I certainly hope the alarmists are wrong. It will be interesting to see their reaction if in fact evidence mounts that the planet is cooling and their models are definitively proven wrong. On the other hand, if mainstream science is ultimately proven correct, I fear the CC advocates will only have themselves to blame for failing to bring forth a credible, respectful, and persuasive case to the majority of the voting public.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:15   #4323

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
And it has taken us this long to get to the TRUTH, a little tyranny now and then is needed to save Mother Earth. Folks, what you want and your freedom is put secondary to the MMGW Cultists...do you see now just how Dangerous they are?
Just need my phone and a pen!
Old 10-05-2016, 12:05   #4324

Boat: Catalina 30

Iowahawk at his best. How to create your very own hockey stick.

iowahawk: Fables of the Reconstruction
Old 10-05-2016, 13:50   #4325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
If we want to stop the growing trend towards intolerance, there should be fewer "safe places" so people like L-E will become more exposed to diverse points of view and forced out of their narrow-minded fantasy bubbles.
I see. Turning this part of CF into just another right-wing denier echo-chamber is noble, barking "Cultist" at sporadic intervals is informative; having someone call you on all this anti-AGW BS is intolerant.

Quote:
As for L-E . . . well . . . reminds me of the car you really want to buy but would never do so solely on account of the salesman. 'Nuff said.
Don't care. Your loss. The facts won't change just cos you don't like who's telling it.
Old 10-05-2016, 13:54   #4326
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The facts won't change just cos you don't like who's telling it.
That's just it...
We keep asking you for these "facts" that prove the MMGW case, and to date at least, you and the MMGW Cultists have failed to produce said "facts". Now as a scientist myself, I'm always happy to see something new that forces me to change my analysis of the data. But all we have so far is non-compelling scare tactics and when questions, we get personal attacks, just as any good Cultist would do.
Old 10-05-2016, 14:17   #4327

Quote:
That's just it...
We keep asking you for these "facts" that prove the MMGW case, and to date at least, you and the MMGW Cultists have failed to produce said "facts".
Let's see... the case has been laid out by IPCC, NASA, NOAA and others, and their conclusions have been endorsed by AAAS, ACS, AGU, AMA, AMS, APS, GSA, U.S. National Academy of Sciences, and maybe 200 other similar bodies worldwide, And Jack just about broke the Internet with all the links he provided for you... but you say no-one has produced said "facts" or proved the case.

Well, if none of the above have swayed you, I doubt I will.

Here's a friendly tip - if the anti-AGW case requires as a prerequisite that all the above must be wrong or incompetent or corrupt or part of a cult, you might possibly be on the wrong side of it.
Old 10-05-2016, 14:25   #4328
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I could post links to two dozens of sites that debunk the MMGW myth, all with experts with the necessary PhD and alphabet soup titles. It has been done page after page in this thread. So why don't I do it again for you...easy...I described why before, you are not interested, so I won't waste my time or finger strokes.

You have said before you would not respond to me...I of course correctly predicted that you couldn't take it and would indeed come back. Maybe now it is time to live up to your word and stop the ridiculous game. If not, no problem, we will be here to illustrate your folly of consensus.
Old 10-05-2016, 14:30   #4329
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[[Note the thread I was referring to was Deleted by our Friend LE.]]

Not at all.
I learned while working in the air pollution control business and actually measuring CO2 emissions, you know something you have no experience at, that the best way to handle MMGW Cultists is to expose them. To quote your favorite President "Mission Accomplished"...now where do I change out of this flight suit.

Ridiculous you say....
Exactly that is my point....finally someone noticed.
Old 10-05-2016, 14:53   #4330

Please note that I can only delete MY posts, not anyone else's. Out of courtesy, I deleted my response to your later-corrected post which started out "Jack, Jack, Jack".

Quote:
I could post links to two dozens of sites that debunk the MMGW myth, all with experts with the necessary PhD and alphabet soup titles. It has been done page after page in this thread. So why don't I do it again for you...easy...I described why before, you are not interested, so I won't waste my time or finger strokes.
No, actually, you can't.

You can of course link to objections from some eminently qualified people... hard not to when they're echoed incessantly on countless sites and blogs, most of which make skepticalscience.com look like the UK's Royal Society. (Who also back the IPCC btw and feel that action on AGW is necessary.). But, strangely enough, these brave handful have not materially altered the findings. Consensus or not... your Davids haven't slain Goliath. Sorry, it's just the way it is.

Quote:
You have said before you would not respond to me...
Actually, I don't think I did. or was the above just a remnant of the brain-fart where you thought I was Jack?
Old 10-05-2016, 14:56   #4331
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

One more time.
The Planet doesn't need saving
Humans aren't destroying the planet
The planet doesn't care.
Old 10-05-2016, 14:59   #4332

Boat: Vagabond 14

Actually dozens of factual references that positively debunk the MMGW myth were posted and the self appointed MMGW priest chose to ignore the facts.

Sorry LE... you're just proving yourself to be foolish.
Old 10-05-2016, 15:05   #4333

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
One more time.
The Planet doesn't need saving
Humans aren't destroying the planet
The planet doesn't care.
I agree. The planet will indeed carry on with or without us.

But while we're still here, no point in shitting the bed, is there?
Old 10-05-2016, 15:44   #4334

Boat: Valiant 42

Guys,

I've said it before. Please stop the name calling. It is pointless and diminishes everyone.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2016, 15:55   #4335

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
What to do about AGW is a global policy problem.

Read all the words, please; they're not there for decoration.
It's already been demonstrated from the IPCC's own models and data that the question of what to do about AGW has been answered. Nothing, because if AGW is happening there isn't anything that has been proposed by warmist loons that will have the slightest effect, and nothing if AGW isn't happening and it continues to not happen as it hasn't been happening for two decades because it is just leftists imaging the latest problem that can only be solved with their peculiar brand of fascism.

And no, the heat is not hiding in the deep oceans as you fantasize. But perhaps under your bed...

Honestly, as delusions go, yours is particularly fascinating, if only from a clinical perspective.
Closed Thread