Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 12:13   #76
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Why Are they Shooting Sharks in Australia ?

zeehag, sharks are unheard-of in Sheepshead Bay. I've never heard of that 1967 incident but would point out that any discharge of a firearm in NYC limits (which that is) is against the law. And using rifles to hunt, anywhere on Long Island (which that part of NYC is) is similarly illegal, even when there's a licensed season for the game being hunted.

Old saying: You can't cure stupid.

I'd say that shooter is about on an equal par with the sharks that go for surfers. Incurably stupid. (Assuming that isn't an urban myth.)

Now, a real enlightened being would of course use positive reinforcement techniques to train the sharls not to eat surfers. I notice that none of those enlightened beings have stepped forward to offer their services.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 13:57   #77

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor

Now, a real enlightened being would of course use positive reinforcement techniques to train the sharls not to eat surfers. I notice that none of those enlightened beings have stepped forward to offer their services.
sorry man ... Your old saying may apply here! Have you ever been involved with these creatures ..... Ever?
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 14:05   #78

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
sorry man ... Your old saying may apply here! Have you ever been involved with these creatures ..... Ever?

Most posters have not.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 14:10   #79

Boat: Custom Cutter 38

impi, hellosailor is on your (our) side. He was just being sarcastic.
Old 08-11-2011, 14:19   #80

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonica
impi, hellosailor is on your (our) side. He was just being sarcastic.
Being a bit slow today - got my yellow fever and other shots for our departure, so now would probably be a good time for me to shut up as the old saying is gong to turn on me thanks
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 18:44   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman

Maybe if you understood the location it might help.

The attack happened of the beaches of Perth. It is shallow water right out to the protecting reefs. The white pointer which is commonly seen in groups off our s'ly coast old whaling stations, are not normally visitors to the beaches off Perth. I've never ever heard of them arriving en-mass. The waters are crystal clear with lots of sand bottom between the reefs so the chance of mistaken identity after an attacjk is unlikely to be an issue provided they get the shark at the time.

When one arrives the good viz means it is usually spotted pretty quick. Bathers and surfers are usually warned. And the shark usually monitored until it finds it's way out and back to its deep water habitat.

Sadly sometimes the shark is not seen. Or the bathers did not get warned. And the shark attacks and does huge damage. Or as in this case, kills.

It is usually then that someone blows it away. It is not culling. It is no lack of 'respect' for the shark. It's not man trying to trash the environment or anything else like that. If you lived in Aus you'd know the govt is far too eco biased to ever allow that. The reasons they are killed is because of the genetic 'memory' these killing machines clearly have.

It's that same 'memory' that draws so many back to the whaling stations (which all closed half a century ago) that could also lead them to making a return visit to the beach..........

So hope you can see why removing the shark whilst it is still in the area is not only sensible, it helps prevent mistaken identity and minimises over-reaction.

Cheers

JOHN
I still doubt that they could find the one that did it- but I would be interested in hearing if the ones they shot had the one that killed the young man in the group. As I said, I do not have problems killing an animal that kill people but the shark could already be miles away by the time they start looking-no matter how clear the water. I also doubt if anyone could ID the shark-it's hard enough to do that to humans after a crime. I do wish them the best because it was a horrible event.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 23:38   #82

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Clearly I've not explained the location and typical circumstances well enough. Sorry. Its a shame you do not live there and can witness how it typically happens.

Sharks do not get in behind the reefs very often. Maybe once / twice a year. When they do they typically get seen and televised. Over 20 years living close by the beach I never saw / heard of more than a single shark arriving at one time.

The beaches are packed with surfers and bathers most days. If a shark gets in and attacks, the media choppers are usually all over it pretty quick, meaning there is not a doubt or mistaken identity.

If there were, the authorities would not authorise the shooting.

John
Old 09-11-2011, 04:30   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Goddezz View Post
... I am just tired of man ...
Exactly where does man belong?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:39   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Exactly where does man belong?
Gord,

This one man would like to BELONG to a complete eco system. Now if we go around wrecking the eco system, well then we are wrecking our home.

It may feel good to have a fit and bust up a few things but it is mostly just childish behavior. Better to reflect on the overall situation and see where things are out of balance, then try to fit in. You know, be a good neighbor and respect others, even if they have fur, fins, or feathers.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:11   #85
Armchair Bucketeer

My understanding (very imperfect!) is that a Great White shark can travel vast distances........could be that this one came from South Africa and got used to Humans = Food.

But the good news for the shark is........if it makes it to the UK, will probably get given a council house
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:39   #86
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gord-
"Exactly where does man belong? "

Like the crocodile said about the Conquistador, "Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside."

Ecosystems are usually in a constant state of flux and evolution. Even without man, some species will prosper and others will go extinct. And THAT'S the nature of ecology. Prey and hunter, no such thing as Swiss Neutrality unless you count "that tastes awful, let's find someone else for lunch."
Old 09-11-2011, 13:18   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post

Because some sharks have developed the annoying. habit of eating Australians
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 14:30   #88
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Closest I ever got....

A few months back, June, I think... out on a commercial dive. Snorkelling from boat to buoy on which we were tied. Maybe 6 metres away from boat. Bull shark swims between me and boat, then around bow. Boat support calls me back to boat. Totally against instincts I swim back to boat - boarding ladder on stern. Shark comes round back of boat, chasing fish, making me think he might be hungry. Fantastic sight, but in the vis we had, too close for comfort. I didn't look very long, and made it up that ladder with one fin kick!

Sharks are amazing creatures. I cried when I saw the Greenpeace documentary about the 'finning' practises (is that the right term?) which are prevalent and growing in third world countries. That is diabolical.

However, hunting a shark which has attacked a human, as a preventative measure? I'm sorry for the shark, and the other sharks who get shot. But not as sorry as I am for the victim and the family. Of course the shark needs to be shot. And of course there will be incidental losses of other sharks. But - I reckon you'd shoot a lion which attacked a village in Africa. America is one of many nations who still practise capital punishment and kill humans who have killed humans, and who are believed to be a danger to other humans.

Of course the shark must be killed. But I have relatives in Perth, so maybe I'm biased.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 18:28   #89

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Good Post SaucyS
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 21:32   #90
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Because some sharks have developed the annoying. habit of eating Australians"

Considering the not-so-long-ago reputation of Australian Immigration and how picky they were about what was allowed in...ROFL.

Yeah, if the sharks would just stick to those annoying foreigners, that would be OK!

Tags
Australia, australia