Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 19:50   #1

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Which is easier and better? Cruising or Working 9 to 5?

There's an old saying, "I've been rich, and I've been poor, and rich is beter."

I have a new saying, "I've been cruising, and I've been working 9 to 5, and cruising is better."

After seven months of working 9 to5 and experiencing the challenges and complications of living ashore, I can say that for me, cruising is light years ahead of working 9 to 5.

It's nice to have the cash flow and to watch the freedom chips pile up at the end of each day. But overall, cruising is a less complicated, more enjoyable, easier way of life.

I'm not complaining. I'm only observing and drawing a few conclusions.

So to all of you cruisers out there, here is the question. Do any of you miss your old job? Is cruising easier than working 9 to 5? Is cruising truly better?
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 21:01   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Never worked a 9 to 5. started cruising the last semester of college and then wasn't willing to work and make someone else the $$$. Crusing is better though.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 21:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The answer is obvious to any sane person. It's the insane people who take to the water.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 21:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The answer is obvious to any sane person. It's the insane people who take to the water.

Cheers! :cubalibre

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:35   #5

Unless ya born to money that generates money,then it's a no-brainer that you have to earn money to go "Cruising",or even to enjoy the lifestyle.

If you can make money while cruising,thats great,if ya carn't,then that just makes everything else harder.Most everything is better than working 9-5,thats a no-brainer as well,it just dosen't happen that easy,or, at least as easy as you make it sound David.It allmost sounds like your"Freedom chips" as you call them are still flowing in.I wouldn't miss my old job,cruising would be easier,and it more than likely would be better.I would like to know what demographic that you are asking this Question to in specific."Did that make sense??"Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:10   #6

Mudnut

The question is really for anybody and everybody.

Cruisers out there have a different perspective than those who have never cruised full time. Some people swallow the anchor and go back to their old lives, and others cruise forever.

Right now, I am earning Freedom Chips for the next adventure. In my present stage of life, I would like to do a schedule of six months on and six months off working/cruising. I enjoy my cruising, but I also enjoy working as long as it's only four to six months a year. Because I do them both, I think I enjoy them both more.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:27   #7

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
I enjoy my cruising, but I also enjoy working as long as it's only four to six months a year. Because I do them both, I think I enjoy them both more.
I think you have the right idea. I have lived my entire life that way(I am 52 now), only I never went cruising. My problem was when I worked I only worked enough to coast through the next "sluff off interval" and never saving enough to quit working for good. But at least I have a boat now (bought my first boat last year).
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:29   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Hi David,
I think if you describe what you do to earn money as “9 to 5”, then that implies mundane, repetitive work that does not inspire. If you love your work and what it is achieving then as long as you stay out of debt, you already have your freedom chips.

Ideally for me there is a balance… A well found yacht that allows you to remove yourself from social constraints places you in a beautiful natural surrounding and while contemplating the perfection of your small craft, inspires you to see beyond the horizon to projects you would love to do.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:21   #9

Pelagic,

As a physician I enjoy helping people deal with the challenges that they face. It's just that I don't want to do it sixteen hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. In addition, medicine tends to create a unidimensional life and make you into a unidimensional person.

Life offers a smorgasboard of possibilities and adventures, but if you always eat the same thing, you miss out on all of the other items on life's menu.

I am irritated by the fact that I have too little time and too many dreams. It would probably take more than ten lives to do what I want to do. They say that a cat has nine lives, and maybe that's why I sail on a cat.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:47   #10

Boat: Fantasia 35
Cruising is hard work - which is good for the body. When cruising you only have to think about one thing at a time - which is good for the mind. No more walking in the shadow of others. No more yielding to the will of others. Once the horizon is behind you - your world becomes the sea, the sky, and your boat. What more could a sailor want or need.
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 15:06   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Dave,
Be grateful that we have the problem of excess stimulation rather than being somewhat catatonic (pun intended). Perhaps some of those 9 lives are already being fleshed out in the dreams we have, a dry run of sorts from a sailors perspective, ready to sail when that particular ship comes in, as our own corporeal craft expires.

Well at least that’s what I like to think!

Nick

Man’s reach should exceed his grasp….. or what’s a metaphor? (With apologies to Robert Browning) Lol!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 18:14   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
If you have to ask, then your not a Cruiser.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 18:40   #13

Boat: Lotus 10.6
We try to work 8 days (if you could call it that) and cruise 8 days. It is good for us. Come home to pat the dog and mow the lawns and have a rest. We run a small business from home/laptop and can do it cruising and at home. Just finished an 8 day cruise and we are knackered. After a few days home we are ready to go again.
Old 09-02-2008, 19:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Mudnut

The question is really for anybody and everybody.

Cruisers out there have a different perspective than those who have never cruised full time. Some people swallow the anchor and go back to their old lives, and others cruise forever.

Right now, I am earning Freedom Chips for the next adventure. In my present stage of life, I would like to do a schedule of six months on and six months off working/cruising. I enjoy my cruising, but I also enjoy working as long as it's only four to six months a year. Because I do them both, I think I enjoy them both more.
Well that clears it up a bit.I think when my time comes to actually own a boat,I would rather live aboard full time and work x amount of mths and sail around for the remainder,down south in cyclone season,up north the rest of the time.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 19:49   #15

Boat: Norseman 447
Pick a job doing something you enjoy and you'll never work a day in your life
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote