Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 10:03   #1

Where and How Do You Get The Money

So I've been looking online, reading posts and blogs for a while. I really enjoyed keeping up with the couple on SLAPDASH (love their boat) up until they changed their website. I don't find it user friendly anymore. But reading all that I have, I can't understand how they (or anyone) finance it. I see costs running 20-50k a year, but these people don't work. So either these people are silver spooned kids or filthy rich. My question is how do you support your HABBIT? I know some saved up, but even if you saved all of your money, what do you have planed for after sailing? I work for a state agency that owns skilled nursing care facilities. Growing old is expensive. If you spend your savings living on and sail on a boat, what are you going to do when you can no longer sail? Everyone I talk to basically all say the same thing, “JUST DO IT”. But it’s not that simple for simple blue collar folk.
I’d love to be able to just pack up, buy a boat and go, but life isn’t that easy.

So, without getting too personal, how do you do it?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan
Lifegoal2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:06   #2

Boat: Finnfire 33
Re: Where and how do you get the money

I think a lot of people are retired. Then there are people like me, who just live cheaply. I get occasional freelance work as a writer, which just about gets me by. But I'm poor, make no mistake. All my money go into my boat. For me, it's worth it.
Last_Mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:13   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you really want to do it then go with what you can afford. With very few exceptions pretty much anyone could afford a boat a cruising on some level. It may be an old, small boat and you may have to sacrifice a lot of other things to do it. Just comes down to setting your priorities.

I have to admit I have had the same thoughts. Used to live in south Florida where you can ride up and down the canals and see hundreds of yachts worth millions each, and litterally thousands of yachts worth hundreds of thousands each. You just have to wonder where so many people get that much money, and who are they and how can I get in on that action.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:46   #4

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I have to admit I have had the same thoughts. Used to live in south Florida where you can ride up and down the canals and see hundreds of yachts worth millions each, and litterally thousands of yachts worth hundreds of thousands each. You just have to wonder where so many people get that much money, and who are they and how can I get in on that action.
Just look where the other half of you paycheck goes, you know the part you never get to see. Plus the other half after you get it that gets spent on bills after you get it.

Multiply that amount by a couple hundred million people and you can see where the money for those megayachts comes from. All those years of you working and paying your bills probably paid for one of the screws on that yacht.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:55   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
...I have to admit I have had the same thoughts. Used to live in south Florida where you can ride up and down the canals and see hundreds of yachts worth millions each, and litterally thousands of yachts worth hundreds of thousands each. You just have to wonder where so many people get that much money, and who are they and how can I get in on that action.
Easy to find out who has payments (most do). Get the boat's name, and search from one of the links here. You probably will have to search more than one of the databases, depending on how the boat is registered.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:08   #6

Boat: Glander Cay 23

I just followed everyone's advise and did it. I'm 23, I sell cars, and I don't make a ton of money at all. I've been poor my whole life and have had to work to get anything I've gotten in my life. I've loved sailing for a long time and my goal is to sail around the world and live my life (or at least a big portion of it) as a cruising sailor. I found a cheap boat, bought it, and have been working like crazy to get her fit for sailing. I've been living aboard since the beginning of May, and still loving it. I find that on a boat I don't need to pay electric, gas, rent, or any of those things. I did sacrifice lots, I no longer have a car or an apartment, but it's the way I want to live. It's much simpler, and I just can't wait till I'm travelling, not just sitting in a marina. If you want to do it, you can. As for making money while cruising.....I'd like to know that myself. Start small, start now, and do it!
SPCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:13   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" You just have to wonder where so many people get that much money, and who are they and how can I get in on that action. "
Why that's easy, skip. Send me $149.95 now, be one of the first hundred callers, and I'll send you my fabulous Secrets of Flipping Real Estate to Build Wealth At Home DVD set and binders. Act now, say the secret word "Cruisersforum" and I'll throw in the audiobook version that you can play in your car or on your iPod!

Some of those folks are mortgaged over their heads, for their homes and boats. Others are like Bernie Madoff, they made their money the old fashioned way, by stealing it. Some are frugal, with cheap rent and using twenty pound sacks of rice for their food budget. Yes, you can live on $5/week in groceries, if that's your priority.

And then others are simply geniuses, or folks who stepped in the right pile at the right time. There's a different same story for each one of them. Bill Gates? Lord only knows why Windows took the market and CP/M didn't, most folks who knew both thought CP/M was the better product but apparently Gates was the better salesman.

Folks who think there's no money around, or money to be made, will never make it. The reality is that the amount of money remains basically the same, the only question is, who was good at TAKING POSSESSION of more of it.

You find something to peddle, you peddle it, you get more income. You find something to cut back on, you spend less, you get more net wealth. No magic either way. Brilliant, frugal, hard working, thief, salesman...pick any one, apply yourself, you can get rich too. Or not, doesn't always work for everybody.

Now, get off your duff and send me that $149.95 and let's get you started! <VBG>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:15   #8

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

I usually go to the bank to get some money... It is replenished by retirement stipends and a paycheck from my part time instructor's job teaching Maritime science.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:24   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Get the hell out of the states and go to a country with an emerging economy (actually that may be the states) Sudan comes to mind, the higher the personal risk the better, approach companies that place a high value on your citizenship and let them know what you can do for them.

Big risk = big buck$

Try not to get killed.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:27   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Now, get off your duff and send me that $149.95 and let's get you started! <VBG>
Wow. I am so excited that I too can join the ranks of the rich and famous.

I am going right down to the bank to get you a cashiers check. However, they have a $500 minimum for bank checks so when you get the check for $500 just wire the $350.05 change to my account in Lagos.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:29   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCarroll View Post
I just followed everyone's advise and did it. I'm 23, I sell cars, and I don't make a ton of money at all. I've been poor my whole life and have had to work to get anything I've gotten in my life. I've loved sailing for a long time and my goal is to sail around the world and live my life (or at least a big portion of it) as a cruising sailor. I found a cheap boat, bought it, and have been working like crazy to get her fit for sailing. I've been living aboard since the beginning of May, and still loving it. I find that on a boat I don't need to pay electric, gas, rent, or any of those things. I did sacrifice lots, I no longer have a car or an apartment, but it's the way I want to live. It's much simpler, and I just can't wait till I'm travelling, not just sitting in a marina. If you want to do it, you can. As for making money while cruising.....I'd like to know that myself. Start small, start now, and do it!
Right on! You found the secret.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:33   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
I usually go to the bank to get some money...
Boasun, you realize that sounds incredibly similar to what Willy Sutton had to say about banks and money. <VBG>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:41   #13

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Quote:
Boasun, you realize that sounds incredibly similar to what Willy Sutton had to say about banks and money. <VBG>
True but I'm using Authorized withdrawals and his were nonauthorized.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:51   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Get the hell out of the states and go to a country with an emerging economy (actually that may be the states) Sudan comes to mind, the higher the personal risk the better, approach companies that place a high value on your citizenship and let them know what you can do for them.

Big risk = big buck$

Try not to get killed.
Dear James "I live in Yemen, the boat's in Lebanon" S,

Considering your locale sounds like that was your business model. So how's that working out for you? Guess you managed to stay alive so far so at least you got that part right.

Got any openings?

Skip
Old 09-06-2011, 11:55   #15

Quote:
But that is interesting.... as Willy Sutton was not a CFO of a bank is he?

And he was wrong... as he claimed that "You can't rob a bank on charm and personality." but, as CFO's are proving... that is a fallacy..
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money