Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2006, 15:59   #1

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
What's you CD Collection Look lIke on the boat

I am sure this topic has been done before, i did a quick search and didnt find a relavent topic, if it's a repost then you can poo on it. I've got a decent variety, i just installed a cd player that plays mp3's although i havent converted any music, my laptop collection is wma's and i didnt realize i would have to purchase a program to convert them to mp3's, so oh well.

In order of most played:
1) John Hiatt
2) Jack Mosley
3) CSNY
4) Jimmy Buffett
5) Jack Johnson
6) Kingstons Trio
7) Dave Mathews
8) Harry Belefonte
9) Nirvana
10) Grateful Dead

Well i guess the top ten will do for now, yes so it's prolly an odd combo by most standards, but i'm guessing there's some stranger combos out there!
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 18:07   #2

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
In no particular order of preference, but always much enjoyed:

- Bob Seger, of course - Night Moves album with "Sunspot Baby.
- Very Best of Roy Orbison (Or his Black & White Night soundtrack)
- Vivaldi's Four Feasons (play at sunset with conch horn accompaniment)
- Horowitz in Moscow
- Notting Hill soundtrack
- Van Morrison's Avalon Sunset and Tupelo Honey
- The Skiffle Sessions with Van Morrison and Lonnie Donnegan
(Great recording of the Sloop John B)
- Norah Jones
- Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus
- Lynrd Skynrd (The CD with "Three Steps)
- Jimmy Buffet - Songs You Know by Heart and many others
- Barefoot Man - Hot Hot Hot Collection - we need more of this guy, who does a concert every year at Nippers in Great Guana Cay
- Jimmy Cliff - The Harder They Come
- Don Williams - The Definitive Collection
- Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
- Rod Stewart - It Had to be You
- Ottmar Liebert - Luna Negra

Among others.

...and of course Eileen Quinn - we have several of her cds and they are lots of fun - she is a cruiser/singer/songwriter, who has written "The Anchoring Dance", "If I killed the Captain," "Don't Make Me Dock," and others. eileenquinn.com

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 18:08   #3

i suck, i forgot bob marley in there!
Old 06-08-2006, 18:34   #4

Boat: PEARSON 422
speaking of wave,wms, mp3 etc. i only just found out that if your stereo can read mp3s you can burn 10 times more music on a cd-r in mp3 format as opposed to wav or wma format. i have had the technology in my house and car fro years and did not even know it. i assumed you hvae to have a digital ipod to play mp3 files. so, now when i make a music cd i burn 10 entire albums(about 140 songs) rather than just 10 songs.

as far as music collection goes...my tastes are so varied i would not even know where to begin. genre is a better way to categorize my taste.

Reggae
Blues
Techno
Calssic Rock
Dance/Pop
Zydeco
R n b
rock
some metal
carribean country - jimmy
soca
classical

pretty much anything but country and jazz
Old 07-08-2006, 09:37   #5

Boat: 36 gulfstar
An old seventies rocker

All those are great but I would add Gordon Lightfoot, Seals and Crofts, America, and Cheryl Crow to the list. Everything but opera (sounds like screaming to me) and Japenese Kibuki (don't understand it).

Richard
seaclusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:00   #6

This is a dumb topic for a cruising forum. It has nothing to do with sailing and it is so subjective as to have no meaning what so ever. And who cares what CDs someone has? Frankly I would like for there to be less noisy music blasting out of boats.

Usually we stay anchored or on a mooring, but did one night on dock in Portland, Maine when I was awaiting my wife to join. In the next slip were two couples from Mass, who drank and blasted their rock music all night long. It was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life and so much so that I can't forget it. Boy was I glad when we left that place.

Keep your music to yourself.. Thank you very much.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:11   #7

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef
This is a dumb topic for a cruising forum. It has nothing to do with sailing and it is so subjective as to have no meaning what so ever. And who cares what CDs someone has? Frankly I would like for there to be less noisy music blasting out of boats.

Usually we stay anchored or on a mooring, but did one night on dock in Portland, Maine when I was awaiting my wife to join. In the next slip were two couples from Mass, who drank and blasted their rock music all night long. It was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life and so much so that I can't forget it. Boy was I glad when we left that place.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Hey man lighten up, this is the "off topic forum".

SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:17   #8

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
and on another NOTE....(HAHAHA), pun intended.

Slaty Dog 68, have you listened to A3 or Alabama 3 as they are called in the U.K. There big hit was "Woke Up This Morning" otherwise know as the opening song from the Sopranos on HBO. They play a mix of Techno, country, blues and gospel. A very unique sound. I don't care for country either but it works with their style.
there website has a few samples and is funny too!

http://www.alabama3.co.uk/

enjoy
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:20   #9

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
As with anything, one has to be considerate. But I think music has a lot to do with sailing for a lot of people. I know for myself, it's a large part of my time on the water.

I have over 300 CD's on board, but mostly I listen to ones I have made. Either regular audio, or in MP3 format. What I generally do, is make a CD that fits a mood. As an example, here's my current favorite:

Music on the Wind - Suzzy Boggus
The Sword Dance (from the Capriol Suite) - Peter Warlock
La Luna/Winter in July - Sarah Brightman
Hold on Tight - Electric Light Orchestra
No Holly for Miss Quinn - Enya
Love's Been a Little Bit Hard on Me - Juice Newton
Cool Change - Little River Band
She Was - Talking Heads
Canon in D - Pachelbel
My Maria - B W Stevenson
Hollywood Nights - Bob Seger
Sad 'Ol Love Song - Firefall
You Were on My Mind - We Five
She's the One - Verlon Thompson
Little in Love - Dixianna
Calico Lady - Poco
When You Say Nothing at All - Alison Krauss & Union Station
He Doesn't See Me - Sarah Brightman

While sailing, I most often listen to classical.

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 13:10   #10

Boat: Privilege 37
I recently fitted a new stereo that will play mp3. It also has a jack input on the front panel that I use for two purposes - connecting an Ipod for the music, and connecting the laptop to use as the audio amp. It also works happily on LW, MW and FM. In addition to sons 45Gb of music, I have abt 10 Gb on cds in MP3 (and on the laptop)
Old 07-08-2006, 13:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot
I recently fitted a new stereo that will play mp3. It also has a jack input on the front panel that I use for two purposes - connecting an Ipod for the music, and connecting the laptop to use as the audio amp. It also works happily on LW, MW and FM. In addition to sons 45Gb of music, I have abt 10 Gb on cds in MP3 (and on the laptop)
Yea i have this input as well, was thinking of going the laptop route as well.
Old 07-08-2006, 13:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaclusion
All those are great but I would add Gordon Lightfoot, Seals and Crofts, America, and Cheryl Crow to the list. Everything but opera (sounds like screaming to me) and Japenese Kibuki (don't understand it).

Richard
yup gordon lightfoot is definetely on the list.
Old 07-08-2006, 13:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s

And yet the speaker topic was ok lol http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4492

funny you think you'd have a set of headphones rather then 6 speakers since you insist it be kept to yourself.

I'll try to keep posts in the offtopic section more ontopic in the future, I apologize for having offended you. Figured it would be a light topic to pass the time didnt realize you had such a tramatizing situation with music and certainly had no intention of sending you back into therapy with my topic.

Anyhow, my guess is most people here play some tunes on their boat and that doesn't make them evil, playing them loud enough to disturb their neighbors may however make them inconsiderate. Of course I've stayed at marinas with bars that cranked out louder music then any boat of have set next to. Me I like all kinds of music and I figured I might get some ideas for some good sailing tunes to pickup next time I am at the music store... one never knows what they will experience when they keep an open mind
Old 07-08-2006, 13:57   #14

Scott,

I do have a music collection on board, and we do listen to music.

I will add that I prefer to LISTEN to music as opposed to having it on in tha background which is so ever present in our society - the so called "elevator" music and worse.

Of course your taste in "sailing music" would depend on your taste in music in general. Is Handel's Water Music sailing music... or Enya?

One wonderful thing about sailing is the ABSENCE of sound.. except wind and waves... which is so uncommon... we are usually surrounding by the sounds of TV, traffic, radio... and music in shops and restaurants.

I love silence or the sounds of the sea.. even the sounds of the water and wind in a quiet anchorage. Like most people I love music, but it is not something I sail to enjoy... and I am perfectly happy NOT to have music and enjoy wind and waves sounds... and NO CIGARETTE boats either. ICK

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 17:14   #15

You can fit a ton more music in MP3 format than you can in its native wav format, but you sacrifice a lot of sound quality because of it. Normally it isn't much of a problem with rock, but it is definitely noticable if you are into anything classical. MP3's work much like jpg photos....scrunched. You trade some quality for quantity.

I have gotten to where I can't stand listening to anything that is ripped to MP3 at less than 192k. It still looses a lot there. Classical stuff that I really like I keep in native resolution or just keep the CD. Same thing for some of the better big band stuff out there. Some of the older vinyl lifts or remastering stuff didn't have great frequency range anyway, so ripping to 192 isn't that detrimental.

I know I don't have a boat (yet<G>), but I have ripped most of my stuff to 192 or higher and keep it on an ipod. Sure a lot easier than toting thousands of CD's around....no telling what the salt would do the the CD's anyway. I think my ipod has over 5000 tunes on it right now, and that is a fraction of what I own.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote