Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-05-2010, 06:46   #1
Xen

What to Do if My Boat Is Stolen

So I just bought a sailboat and I don't live on it yet,but I will after the house is sold.I plan on traveling for as long as my heart is beating. In the mean time its sitting in the water like 20 miles from me with easy assess to the ocean.My concern is what if someone steals my boat, I know 99% of police are incompetent at best and I tend to not ask for anything from them. I have heard from some of my fathers friends that I should get a tracking device and I think my Navigation stuff has it but I am unsure how I personally can track it if it is stolen. I would have no problem recovering it if i knew where it was.Its not like a car where it can only be on a road or driveway and easily tracked I have lojack on the car. Also if the tracking stuff is dismantled can I still recover it somehow?I wasn't able to find any threads on this. thanks guys.
Xen

Old 10-05-2010, 06:55   #2

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
I know 99% of police are incompetent at best..."
Xen
o rly? who knew?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:05   #3

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
Sailboat

I'm not sure where you live, but I don't think many people steal sailboats since it's hard to make a getaway at 5 kts.

Instead of degrading the police on this forum, why not call the Marine Patrol and let them know of your situation and ask them if they can check to see if it's there on thier patrols everyday?

-Dave C
Old 10-05-2010, 07:07   #4

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
One of these may be of interest.
Mini Real-Time Spy GSM GPRS GPS Tracker Tracking Device on eBay (end time 07-May-10 00:01:55 BST)
Old 10-05-2010, 07:14   #5

Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
First, if your boat is stolen, in spite of your feelings about them, you must call law enforcement. Find out which law enforcement group is responsible for law enforcement on the water where your boat is moored. If you're not sure, ask local tow boat operators, charter captains, etc. They'll know.

Then call your insurance company. Chances are, they will assign their own investigator.

For your own records, take pictures of your boat and the HIN (Hull Identification Number), your document numbers and/or your state numbers. Make paper copies of your federal document/registration. Record the engine serial number and as best you can, the serial numbers of electronics on board, particularly the handheld types. Also, do a pencil rubbing of the HIN by placing a piece of paper over the number and rubbing a pencil point across the paper. Keep all this stuff in an ownership folder off of the boat.

Also take comfort in the fact that while boats moored in water are stolen from time to time, it is much less likely to happen with a sailboat than a powerboat. And boats on trailers, especially those with outboards, and PWC (Personal Watercraft - jet skis and the like) are stolen much more frequently. While I don't agree with your opinion that "99% of police are incompetent at best", I do know that thieves are lazy - that's why they're theives - and a sailboat presents much more work than the vast majority are willing to do. There's also the undeniable fact sailboats are slow.

What does happen to most boats that experience thievery is the theft of equipment; hence, the keeping of records, receipts, and serial numbers.

Best -
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:16   #6
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Hi, Xen --

Not to say that it's impossible, but -- (1) Sailboats aren't real popular with the bad guys; they aren't fast enough and there's simply more to them than "turn the key and push the throttle down." Bad guys tend to be more impulsive and a bit short on the attention span and sailboats are not rewarding for that, so they tend to be much less attractive. Now, they will steal things from sailboats, that's a different topic. (2) The notion that 99% of cops are incompetent is (I think, having worked around cops for many years) simply unfair and inaccurate. Sure, you might have to educate them about something and help them along, but I've found that the vast majority are really good guys who work hard.

Sure, there are a variety of trackers and security systems you can put on your boat that will tell you where it is and what is happening to it. If that helps your peace of mind. Personally, I think the best prevention for when you're not around is to make sure that it is in a secure place and there's people you trust keeping an eye on her.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:18   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Disable your engine when you go home.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:34   #8
Xen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
Hi, Xen --

Not to say that it's impossible, but -- (1) Sailboats aren't real popular with the bad guys; they aren't fast enough and there's simply more to them than "turn the key and push the throttle down." Bad guys tend to be more impulsive and a bit short on the attention span and sailboats are not rewarding for that, so they tend to be much less attractive. Now, they will steal things from sailboats, that's a different topic. (2) The notion that 99% of cops are incompetent is (I think, having worked around cops for many years) simply unfair and inaccurate. Sure, you might have to educate them about something and help them along, but I've found that the vast majority are really good guys who work hard.

Sure, there are a variety of trackers and security systems you can put on your boat that will tell you where it is and what is happening to it. If that helps your peace of mind. Personally, I think the best prevention for when you're not around is to make sure that it is in a secure place and there's people you trust keeping an eye on her.

ID
Without getting into a long discussion about policy officers I gotta say i meant no disrespect. generally I love the human behind the goofy uniform but I dont recognize anyone as having any special authority. with that I basically got my question answered more than once, makes sense that a thief wouldn't steal sail boats. i guess it could be compared to stealing a yugo with no seats. but if it has a nice radio they may yank the player. I am just getting anxious to leave and as an optimistic pessimist
I gotta consider my opinions if i wanna ensure that my trip goes off without a hitch.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:37   #9
Xen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Disable your engine when you go home.
Mark you guys are doing exactly what I wanna do.
yea the engines are disabled well the starters and disconnected.
I cant wait to "get lost" just a bit anxious covering all bases.
thanks mark
Old 10-05-2010, 07:51   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
Hi, Xen --

Not to say that it's impossible, but -- (1) Sailboats aren't real popular with the bad guys; they aren't fast enough and there's simply more to them than "turn the key and push the throttle down." Bad guys tend to be more impulsive and a bit short on the attention span and sailboats are not rewarding for that, so they tend to be much less attractive.
ID
Few years ago when I kept a boat on moorings, a couple of chancers decided to borrow a cat. They managed to get the engines started and got on their way, but no one had told them about the cooling water inlet valves. Shortly after leaving the buoys, they lost both engines. Being unable to sail, the boat came to a stop when she drifted out of the channel.
The hapless pair were "rescued" by the local harbour master, and handed over to the local police
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
.... no one had told them about the cooling water inlet valves. Shortly after leaving the buoys, they lost both engines. ...
The hapless pair were "rescued" by the local harbour master, and handed over to the local police
Where the engines damaged? If so I hope the "hapless pair" got the bill for two marine engines. Expensive caper!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:11   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I would not agree that the police are "incompetent" but would rather say that they other more pressing matters to attend to and home theft and boat theft, even auto theft is not high up on their list of priorities of where to spend their underfunded and undermanned resources.
- - Of course you need to make an official report for "insurance purposes" and more importantly to shield yourself if your stolen boat is used in the commission of another serious crime.
- - Sailboats are periodically stolen in the Caribbean from charter boat agencies and then used to transport illegal aliens from one country to another. Or just taken to a 3rd world country and sold to a local wealthy person who wants a fancy boat and does not want to pay a lot for it. There are networks of communications in the world cruising arena and many of the stolen boats are spotted, reported, and recovered then by local law enforcement agencies. But you have to take the lead in aggressively tracing and locating your stolen boat and then getting the local enforcement agency involved in the recovery.
- - One of the best defenses is to make the boat too obvious to steal. Color schemes and design go a long way to keep thieves away. One little thirty-footer FRG sloop down in Anse Mitan, Martinique has been painted to look like a wrecked vessel and whenever it travels the islands, everybody sees and knows it. Nobody would touch that boat. Here is a photo . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MartiniqueAnseMitan1235.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	16010  
Old 10-05-2010, 08:16   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Turn the fuel off to the engine, as noted above.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:25   #14

Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I would not agree that the police are "incompetent" but would rather say that they other more pressing matters to attend to and home theft and boat theft, even auto theft is not high up on their list of priorities of where to spend their underfunded and undermanned resources.
- - Of course you need to make an official report for "insurance purposes" and more importantly to shield yourself if your stolen boat is used in the commission of another serious crime.
- - Sailboats are periodically stolen in the Caribbean from charter boat agencies and then used to transport illegal aliens from one country to another. Or just taken to a 3rd world country and sold to a local wealthy person who wants a fancy boat and does not want to pay a lot for it. There are networks of communications in the world cruising arena and many of the stolen boats are spotted, reported, and recovered then by local law enforcement agencies. But you have to take the lead in aggressively tracing and locating your stolen boat and then getting the local enforcement agency involved in the recovery.
- - One of the best defenses is to make the boat too obvious to steal. Color schemes and design go a long way to keep thieves away. One little thirty-footer FRG sloop down in Anse Mitan, Martinique has been painted to look like a wrecked vessel and whenever it travels the islands, everybody sees and knows it. Nobody would touch that boat. Here is a photo . . .
Ditto -

Yet another way is to make the boat or piece of equipment too ugly to steal. A friend who is a professional captain took, at the owner's request, a file and couple of cans of spray paint to some brand new Yamaha outboards that had been shipped to the yacht in Antigua. They were to replace a pair of engines that, you guessed it, had been stolen. (Not in Antigua, but while the yacht was at a neighboring island.)

Anyway, the engines looked beat to hell and back and last I heard, no one ever bothered them.
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:45   #15
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
If I recall correctly from another thread he started, Xen recently purchased a Lagoon 470. Used. Which means the simplest solution would be to install inline fuel cocks on both engines.

Xen, you'll get better advice here if you include info as to what country you live in and what boat you own in your public profile.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: