Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What is your sailing resume?
I have been sailing since I was a kid 43 60.56%
I got into sailing late in life 19 26.76%
I have thoroughly prepared all my life and am now cruising/will be cruising 10 14.08%
I just bought a boat and started travelling afar 5 7.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2011, 22:44   #31

Boat: Sold Catalina 250
Next Adventure?
Any idea what that will be? My favorite saying is I just go where I am sent. Direction is sometimes hard to determine for me.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 23:17   #32

Boat: Sold Catalina 250
I got into sailing just a few years ago. My uncle was into racing and needed some certification. We took classes at OCSC in Berkely. As fate would have it the time was difficult due to recent loss of family members to death. I didn't know if I could do the class as I was a new sailor in the San Francisco Bay. It was exactly what I needed and now my free therapy is sailing. I am racing and cruising and during 2010 I bought as boat. NOW I say," all I need to live is water". I wish I was sailing sooner like others I read about. Now I am playing catch up, doing the things I never had the opportunity to do before. Life is short so live a little! I
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 07:23   #33

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
Hi I started sailing in an 8ft dinghy with a standing lugg sail when I was 5 years old I come from a seafairing family and have been associated with the sea all my life. I learned my trade as a boat builder in Guernsey in the channel islands then joined the Royal Marines when I was 20 I served in the Marines for 10 years when I was medicaled out due to injuries. I have run a sailing school for a frien who had cancer and couldnt work on the yachts any more and have done delivery work. In 58 years of sailing I have covered about 156,000 miles and have sailed all the oceans and seas except the Black Sea but I hope there is time yet. I now live aboard our Colvic Watson Motor Sailor 32 in Morlaix Brittany with my wife Sally of 20 years.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 12:24   #34

Boat: Riviera 35
When I was a kid, I wanted to be an airline pilot. But: one day I took to the air and it dawned upon me that I was scared of heights - which was a bit of a problem as I had joined the USAF. Thankfully, they decided to "ask me to leave" so then, I decided to be a ship's captain. Sadly, however, The British Shipping Federation didn't want insane kids captaining their ships. The Royal Navy were no better judge of my character and told me to something off.

So, I ended up becoming a 'deckie learner' on a deep sea trawler. Graduated through various other small North Sea craft until winter of 76 when I got caught out in "a bit of weather" and after that trip came ashore. Always had the dream of one day sailing around the World, and had picked which boat to do it in as far back as 1972.

Became a boat dealer for a while. Wrote some books. Had loadsa small motorboats and RIBs. Gave up boats. Split up with third wife mid eighties and decided to go back to sea, but found fourth partner too quickly and didn't. Had kids. Couldn't afford boat anymore. No.4 Left. Kids grew up. Kids Left home. Sold house bought my first sail boat (that was just last year).

Life story (abridged version) so far. So, I have only actually been "sailing" in its true sense for less than a year, although have been messing about in boats much longer.

I am older, but still no wiser.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 13:34   #35

Boat: Hunter 23.5, AMF Sunbird & 36' Prairie Trawler
I've canoed, and paddled boats since I was a kid. Got my first powerboat when I was in high school. I had never sailed until I was 30 yrs old when I went out with my Brother in law on his Hobie Cat. I've been hooked since then. (I'm 52 now) I've only owned small boats, the biggest being a 22' SouthCoast, but am planning on buying something soon. I'll probably get a nicer trailerable and get a certification so I can charter larger boats this spring.

Kevin
Tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 14:33   #36

Boat: Island Packet 380
Great idea for a post, I have enjoyed reading all the responses so far. The first time I ever set foot on a sailboat was a sunset sailing deal out of key west. It was my husband (who has sailed since he was a kid), myself and another couple. About 30 mins into our "cruise" I was leaning over the side feeding the fish. Despite that however, it was one of the best experiences I have ever had. Enough so, that my husband convinced me that we should take sailing lessons. Due to a merit program through his employer at the time, these sailing lessons and the entire trip to Florida to take them, were all expenses paid...so I figured what did we have to loose.

After the first lesson (we took separate classes, my husband took a more advanced class while I took the basic learn to sail class) I was sooooo excited, I couldn't stop talking about sailing and how much fun it was. I don't think my husband was expecting that reaction...although I am sure he was thrilled that I was so excited.

Every since that fateful first lesson, we have been plotting, planning and educating ourselves for our upcoming cruising life.

We agreed, quite some years ago, that it didn't make sense for us to own a sailing boat with very young toddlers. So we agreed that we would purchase a boat once our youngest was at least 5 years old. Well, the boat was paid for, splashed and completed it's madien voyage one month after our daughter's 5th birthday.

It has now been 10 years of sailing that same boat, and we are starting to look for the next boat that will help fullfill our cruising dreams.

Once you are "hooked" as I have been, we find every opportunity and way to make sailing a part of our lives. Amazing to me what an impression one experience on the water can make.
Old 27-01-2011, 14:40   #37

Boat: C & C 24
Looking forward to first

Looks like April 2011 will be my maiden voyage (at least on my own boat) unless I can find someone else to take me out with them before then. I bought a boat in November, still on the hard, will be sailing to Georgia it the spring (with assistance)
Madhatter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:41   #38
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: What Is Your Sailing CV / Resume ?

Age 11: Read complete swallows and Amazons Series, formed dreams...
Age 12: Mirror dinghy, named her Swallow (!), sailed her on Billing Aquadrome.
Age 23: Started cat sailing
Age 25: Bought first cat (Dart 18)
Age 27: Sold first cat, since I had married cool dude, and was sailing on his Hobie with him.
Age 28: Bought and rebuilt Elliminator 32
Age 29: Bought second Dart, so I didn't have to sail with hubby on his Hobie any more.
Age 30: Bought Kalik 40 to rebuild. Sold Elliminator.
Age 34: Kuwait Catamaran Champion - YEAH!!!!
Age 36: Bought third Dart, this one with a better hull, and winning streak ended....
Age 37: Joined CF!
Age 38: That's now
Age 39: Will start circumnavigation.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:21   #39

Re: What Is Your Sailing CV / Resume ?

My first sail was on a rented Aquacat 12 on a rainy, blustery day in Maryland. The year was 1962 and I was 16. The foam ball on top of the mast should have given me a clue about the ability of the little boat to stay planted on two hulls. The sail stick on my boat pointed towards the clouds all day but my friend, who owns an Aquacat blew over three times. I instinctively seemed to know what to do. Maybe it was just the fear of being a non-swimmer and I was in survival mode.

I've always taken some ridicule about being a sailor and a non-swimmer but I've justified it by telling the non-believers that being a sailor that can't swim is no different than being an airline pilot who can't fly.

After wearing out my friend's Aquacat my wife allowed me to purchase a brand new Hobie 16. I still remember the pride as I look back on the old boat with the sail number 10822. That old Hobie served me well for many years and I discovered that my favorite times to sail were in somewhat adverse conditions. That boat was in the water nearly every weekend during the spring and summer and was always a part of our vacation plans.

1984 saw the departure of my faithful Hobie and the purchase of a brand new NACRA 5.8. That was like going from a 4 cylinder sports car to a Porsche 911S. There were so many more options on sail trim and the speed was and still is amazing. Now I was getting involved in downhauls to depower the main, barberhaulers for downwind sailing and high aspect ratio daggerboards and rudders for pointing ability.

I still have that old boat and have went through several sets of Kevlar sails and new trampolines over the years. I still find that enjoyment of the boat includes the leisurely sails in 10 knots and real fun in 25 knots, hung out on the trapeze with my hair on fire. I'm now nearly 65 years old and the NACRA and I can and do give sailing lessons to the new generation of beach cat sailors. I may not always win but I'm always in the lead pack.

My younger sailing brethren have given me much pleasure over the years and I have been presented with some pretty amazing recognition. I am "Sailbad the Sinner" and a brass plaque on my rear crossmember reminds us all that "Old Age and Treachery will Overcome Youth and Skill."

Now as I've just retired I'll go find me a suitable cruising boat that is bluewater capable and rent my home to some couple trying to get a fresh start. I have a 36 foot motorhome and I want a boat about the same length. The marina must have storage for my NACRA because a 6 knot cruiser may not create enough adrenaline to keep the ole' heart pumping as I feel it should. I know there will be times that a cruiser will be involved in some situations that will raise the heart rate but on a daily basis I don't think so.

I've done a lot of sailing on my cousin's 26 foot sloop and have never had anything near a problem. I believe that's because of all the books I've read over the years that deal with storm tactics, shorthanded sailing and general life aboard. I realize that I don't have all the requisite skills to attempt an Atlantic crossing but I will shortly as I deal with the quirks and idiosyncrasies of my new floating home.

If there is reincarnation I was a man of the sea in a previous life. It's where I am the happiest and most a peace with myself and my creator. I've got pictures drawn by me in first grade that depict sailboats weathering storms. I dunno why it's just what I've always enjoyed. Hopefully, my dream will continue as I start a new chapter in my life and once again return to the sea from whence I came.

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing