Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 10:41   #316

Isn't this basically an RV forum? I mean, a monohull is basically an RV without tires, and a catamaran is simply a condo that's lost it's anchor. And why the heck hasn't anyone posted their Grand Canyon pictures? Spoilsports.

What we need is more discussion about the upcoming spike in adult diaper prices...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:15   #317

Boat: Horizon 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Good point. Of course, some trolling is really malicious. But some of it is in good fun.
Perhaps. Better left to where the reactions can be instant eg cockpit, bar, club etc.
In places like this they are often misunderstood, misinterpreted, boring and a waste of space and time.
I enjoy a good joke and have been the butt of many and it is always nice to actually see the humour even if it has to be explained
Old 02-10-2010, 11:19   #318

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
Isn't this basically an RV forum? I mean, a monohull is basically an RV without tires, and a catamaran is simply a condo that's lost it's anchor. And why the heck hasn't anyone posted their Grand Canyon pictures? Spoilsports.

What we need is more discussion about the upcoming spike in adult diaper prices...
ROTFLMAO!!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:01   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
We also have about 0.05 % of the members showing up drunk and or seriously impaired at any point in time.
Paul,
Are you saying that 99.95% of the members are showing up sober and unimpaired? I think I need to start looking for another forum to hang out in.
Barry
LandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:07   #320

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Could we talk about trolling a little bit? I'm interested in people's views about it. Am I the only person who thinks it should not be against the rules? Trolling is a practical joke intended to stir up the more dogmatic and/or gullible members, and it seems to me healthy fun. I don't do it myself, but I might if I had more time (!) on my hands.
Dockhead I do share your view about not being upset if someone wants to criticize my choice of boat, batteries anchor etc
After all I know I am always right
This sort of discussion is healthy and I am prepared to argue my case.

Personal criticisms seem a bit pointless and generally amuse me more than offend, but I can understand how they bother some people and I think the moderators should act on these posts.

However I disagree with your view on trolls.
Principally because it easy to spend time writing a post designed to help someone with no sailing knowledge who wants to sail around cape horn in a 15 foot plywood trimran
If it a genuine post I am happy to offer my advice, for what its worth, but if it is a bogus post designed to waste my time lets delete it and ban the author. I am afraid I am with Mark J and have little sympathy for trolls.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:13   #321

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
Trolling is a practical joke intended to stir up the more dogmatic and/or gullible members, and it seems to me healthy fun.
Perhaps if you keep it to the joke forum, Dockhead.

I personally don't think that trolling has any place on a serious forum.

We desperately need the "ignore thread" switch, although I have been doing a pretty good job of ignoring many of them on my own. Still, having to scroll by those threads time after time gets to be a chore.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:36   #322
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
.....I personally don't think that trolling has any place on a serious forum. ...

I agree
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 13:31   #323

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I personally don't think that trolling has any place on a serious forum.
I'd agree with that too. I think the question to ask is "what value does it add ?"

While I agree that it has no place I am not sure how you police it without getting too far into censorship. Maybe have a rule that trolling is not censored but only called out as such ?

On the whole I'd say that the CF is the second most civilized place I've seen on the net so it isn't as if major changes are needed.

-Sven
Old 02-10-2010, 15:11   #324
Armchair Bucketeer

Cyberbullying?

Me is more worried about being groomed - maybe CF should have a special button to press for that as well

FFS I thought one of the main requirements of having a boat was being able to look after yerself? I guess CF not immune to the modern concept that their has to be someone to whine to that will fix yer problems. or kiss it better

Plenty on CF that does my nut in (and not just the boat type I have been banned from talking about for fear of setting off (yet again) the insecure . Wow! that was close. I nearly typed unstable. glad I didn't )........but I bite my tongue far more here than I do elsewhere on the internet because it's such a great resource. and because I know CF (and everywhere else) cannot be perfect for me.

But FFS some folks simply do need to grow up. it's a big world (Internet & elsewhere) and not everyone wants to give yer a hug. I'm not here looking for posts from my Mum . are "you"?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 15:33   #325
cruiser

Location: Usually somewhere that Triangulum Australe is in sight.
Boat: 28 foot steel sloop, Fiddler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I have noticed a trend of rudeness at cf, it started with the thread with the young couple wanting to sail RTW and it still persist. I stopped reading for a while cause it just seemed a bit of a downer. I always thought of CF as a place to get help and input and yes encouragement. Cruising for many is a lifelong dream, and the amount of static the outter world gives us dreamers is plenty, we don't need any of that crap here. This rudness is not to the level of say sailnet, but it doesn't seem to be going away either.
What do you think? is this just a phase?
I found this on my first day here... A rich american bagging out a polish guy who's mum helped out with $2500american to go on an adventure. I bought my steel sloop for $2500aud and am writing this message from it, bout to sail off today for some fun before it gets slipped on tuesday. I am sitting here looking at probably the richest suburb in the state, multi million dollar properties are the norm, not million dollar properties. Suckers, paying all that $ to look at me in my $2500kaud beast... Yachties are a fickle bunch from my experience, when my tahiti ketch sunk with me on it (6 hrs in the drink) I was berthed at a well to do club and when I eventually made it back to my yacht, I found that everyone was more interested in salvaging my yacht for nothing and lining their own pockets. I will take the shirt off my back to help someone, that is me. I don't look at people and determine how I treat them by what they own or wear. This is why the world is in chaos, greedy, self centred people are the majority and it is a shame considering how blessed we all are to be alive and able to enjoy it. I have found decent ones but too few to make a scene about, shame really since "we are all in the same boat" so to speak, hypocracy and political madness gone insane!
Henry Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 15:35   #326

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
. . .FFS I thought one of the main requirements of having a boat was being able to look after yerself? . .
I think that is the big misconception by some. I would suggest from the tone and content of the OP's in the various threads that they do not have boat and/or have not yet gotten out into the big ocean with whatever they do have that floats. And - they are here seeking "cruising 101" information about what cruising the oceans on a vessel is all about, good and bad.
- - "Local knowledge" is the gold-level information when entering a new port and the only way to get it is to ask others who have already been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Same thing with selecting a boat, destination, anchor, bilge pump, food stuffs, etc., etc. It is extremely valuable to visit as many boat-shows as possible before deciding on a boat style along with bare-boat chartering as many different types of boats. Posting or lurking on CF and maybe even SSCA forums can yield many important details about aspects of cruising that you cannot get elsewhere.
- - Trolling and other disruptive behavior adds nothing to the discussions and inhibits the transfer of valuable ideas and experiences to the "next generation" of cruising folk.
- - After they have some serious sea miles under their keels, then they will certainly have learned to be "able to look after yerself? And logically they will be "out there" and not hanging around this or other forums for awhile.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 15:39   #327
cruiser

osiri, the next generation of sailing aren't interested in sailing with admirals who last were on the water with nelson...
Old 02-10-2010, 15:48   #328

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Morgan View Post
. . . Yachties are a fickle bunch from my experience, when my tahiti ketch sunk with me on it (6 hrs in the drink) I was berthed at a well to do club and when I eventually made it back to my yacht, I found that everyone was more interested in salvaging my yacht for nothing and lining their own pockets. . .
Huh? Is there something missing?
- - Anyway, I always enjoyed being pals with old Horatio and his great rum and also Capt Jimmy Cook and still use some of his charts. And more recently your namesake at his place on Andros Island. But I suspect there are many more contemporary cruisers, with and without goats, on this forum.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 15:59   #329
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Huh? Is there something missing?
- - Anyway, I always enjoyed palling with old Horatio and his great rum and also Capt Jimmy Cook and still use some of his charts. But I suspect there are many more contemporary cruisers, with and without goats, on this forum.
I wasn't having a go at you... I was pointing out that there is an "old boys" feel to sailing and having a big boat or a big bank balance doesn't mean you have a big.... brain, or penis for that matter. If someone gives me ****, they will get it back. Admin and I have had a few pms about this and they took what I was saying (which was A) as Z (which was way off the mark). Point being is it IS a conservative recreation with a lot off toffs and tossers who are idiots and have no place contributing anywhere until they look in their own closets and realise their skeletons would put most others to shame. I am glad there is this thread and the troll thread going... most times I am on here it smells so sterile I think I am in a hospital, wealth of knowledge and advice but sheesh some people need to think about what life is really about rather than worry of petty ********...
Old 02-10-2010, 16:11   #330
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Thanks all for the discussion of "trolling" and "troll.

I'm so out of it I didnt' know what they were. If someone had called me a troll I would have assumed they meant:
"Noun ...troll (plural trolls) a grotesque humanoid creature living in caves or hills or under bridges. [from early 17th c.]
(slang) An ugly person of either sex..." And
"Verb ...(fishing) To entice fish with bait; to fish using a line and bait or lures trailed behind a boat. [from circa 1600] ...
(slang)(intransitive) To stroll about in order to find a sexual partner. [from 20th c.]" [from Wiktionary]

I probably would have bristled and felt insulted! So, yeah, we are indeed a group of people divided by a common language!

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote