Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2010, 04:11   #241

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Shane, first I think you should watch this documentary: Amazon.com: 180 South: Chris Malloy: Video On Demand . Next, I think you should actually seek out and hang with these guys, as they surf for the right reasons. Lastly, consider that there are a lot worse situations in the world then having to decide whether to live near the beach or use an inheritance to sail the Oceans...
We are getting way off topic, which might not be that appropriate on a thread about rudeness? Nevertheless, thanks and I will briefly mention that I have been lucky enough to meet most of the older pro surfing fraternity and know a few local icons who are happy to point me in the direction of perfect surf. Like you said, “there are a lot worse situations”!
Old 28-08-2010, 04:16   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
Shane, a toast to your grandmother! She seems to have granted you your freedom. Bless her. Cheers! I had a loss on the other end of the spectrum recently, a daughter. Either which way, it does make one appreciate the fact of daily life doing what satisfies and goads you to do it. It teaches me that there is only now. Yesterday's a memory and tomorrow's a fantasy. I don't know what issues you have with people, but people are really the only thing that are a real threat to other humanoids, so don't sweat it. Most people don't know what they're doing any better than you. Or perhaps not as much. See ExCalif's boat name.
Thanks, posts like this make me glad I have sat through the odd episode I have thought of as either rudeness or pure spam to realise that there are real people on this forum. I have a daughter myself and my condolences for your loss. In comparison my grandmother probably led a long and fulfilling life.
Old 28-08-2010, 04:20   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
But you see how an off-topic story can help us get to know you?

It then makes it easier to give advice when you have a question... or to take your avcie when you are answering someons question.

Mark

I totally agree as explained above! Likewise, I am happy to have been made aware that a lot of I might have been interpreted as rudeness or a clique was just you guys and girls having fun.
Old 28-08-2010, 13:43   #244
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
And Mods...is there any way to upsize the Avatars any?...Some of the members like SurferShane are so small its hard to make the picture out...Ex Calif's is about right.
Standard avatars are a set width and height, so the image that appears is limited by the larger dimension in either direction. The best images for avatars are usually squares as that allows the image to be seen at its largest possible size.

Shane's for example maxes out the height with out using hardly half the width. That makes the over all image pretty tiny.

If it was cropped like this it would show larger;

If anyone needs help with their avatars let me know, I am pretty handy.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 13:48   #245

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
And Mods...is there any way to upsize the Avatars any?...
Why? Are you trying to make your wife's butt bigger?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 13:53   #246
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
yeah.
as if he's gonna admit it HERE? where she can see??
although if my ass looked like that....

maybe she wouldn't mind after all ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 14:32   #247
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
hay--surfer shane is kinda good looking guy--not bad! sorry about grandma, ss, --celebrate life--she was telling you she loves you and to go for it!! live and enjoy and thank her--she was a special lady.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 14:47   #248
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
If anyone needs help with their avatars let me know, I am pretty handy.
Can you turn this:-

Into something a bit more like:-

But I would settle simply for help with something a bit chaplinesque...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 14:50   #249

Quote:
Can you turn this:-

Into something a bit more like:-

That is freaking funny! I am going sailing and will check back in here tomorrow!
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 14:56   #250

Boat: Prairie 29
Send a message via Skype™ to Straycat
What is rude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
SA is not for the faint of heart for sure. If you can get by the initial harassment there are some really sharp and well know sailors who post there. I'm a big fan of single-handed ocean racing, and their sub-forum for that is the best. But its not for everybody.

Oh, by the way ... is it considered rude if you just don't like stupid people?
You will like and dislike things as they strike you, and those things will change over time. Language is such that people may appear stupid when they really are not. Anyway, rudeness is saying what you think whatever the harm to others. Less rude is to couch the language in judgmental, but not hostile or accusatory terms. IMHO. New here, and not wanting to step on toes. Peace, love and joy, Rick
Straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 14:56   #251

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
I have to admit I find CF a bit “clicky”. There seems to be a lot of relentless posters who use the place to play with friends. If you are in on this “scene” you can basically post anything you want even if it hardly relates to the original theme. If an “outsider” puts anything sensible in between and they are basically ignored. Due this I can understand why some people don’t even bother getting serious and just spam. It is a real pity because some people do go out of their way to offer solid answers and advice.
Ya, I am not so sure about clicky but I totally agree with you that there are those that are using this as one should use facebook (spam), just to chat and BS. These are usually not the cruisers but those with access to internet 24/7 and use this site for friendship. My example would be the thread about 'How many cruisers are married?' and 2/3 that answered were not cruisers. Now I know I am really upsetting a few out there an so for this reason I have decided to look for a forum that may have more cruisers. I will still bop in from time to time to see if there is anything of value.....
Old 28-08-2010, 15:28   #252
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
Ya, I am not so sure about clicky but I totally agree with you that there are those that are using this as one should use facebook (spam), just to chat and BS. These are usually not the cruisers but those with access to internet 24/7 and use this site for friendship. My example would be the thread about 'How many cruisers are married?' and 2/3 that answered were not cruisers. Now I know I am really upsetting a few out there an so for this reason I have decided to look for a forum that may have more cruisers. I will still bop in from time to time to see if there is anything of value.....
"should" use Facebook? Ouch

But to be fair, most of the "what I am doing on my holidays" traffic has long since decamped to the blogosphere.

1/3rd on topic? not bad for the internet
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 15:34   #253

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I agree with the clicky, feel a bit responsible in that area. Will work on being more inclusive. Great posts.
Peace
Erika

PS
DOJ, it is not an improvement, your mug is a nice mug. The other guy looks like he is trying to sell somethin (vinyl siding).
Old 28-08-2010, 15:38   #254

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Several times over

Is that better Stillraining? Is my avitar approved?

Mucho Better...

Quote:
Hey not a bad Idea!...it is a nice little bum after all.. and Im not on the couch yet!..so all is good...

Now as far as treads drifting such as the above exchange....All I have to say is to Dido what someone said previously....in that if all I wanted was information I would by books.

It IS the sidetracks along with the information that make a Forum worth visiting and spending time at. The human contact and interaction...and we do become friends!....I don't want a Saturday night live Cone Head experiance.. " Your data does not match my data..We can not communicate."

I had the good fortune of hosting about 15 CF and Sailnet members at our house for a pot luck dinner last Winter...It was totally awesome to meet up and put faces with names...Its was also Amazing just how much our online personalities match the real McCoy....so naturally everybody loved me...

So those of you just looking for information only...I say skip over the friendly banter because its not meant for you...you party poopers..And the library opens at 9 am......Just kidding.....................sort of

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 15:41   #255

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
...there are those that are using this as one should use facebook (spam), just to chat and BS.
What exactly gave you the impression that there should be no chat and BS on this forum? I think you should ask for your money back... Lord knows REAL cruisers never sit around and BS...but, dont listen to me, as I'm not currently "Out There". I did a year and a half single-handing the Caribbean though...and we are closing on our house in three days, so get ready to see me back out there pretty soon.

BTW, this post is rude, but when I have posted a thread needing knowledge or expertise in the past, the great people on this forum have ALWAYS come through. Just ask if you need examples...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote