Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2010, 03:17   #151

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
I do not think Mark's post was rude and I think it's clear enough.
Just to be clear, I never said Mark's post was rude and I don't think anyone else did.
Old 24-08-2010, 03:53   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Just to be clear, I never said Mark's post was rude and I don't think anyone else did.
My apologies. I must have mis-read it.

Sorry.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 04:09   #153

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
Anyway, he's an Aussie and we all know what they're like

P.
Now now fishwife. Envy is unbecoming....
but we do try to understand how hard it is for you

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 05:06   #154
Armchair Bucketeer

I tend to also use the "Thanks" button to vent my spleen

Not so formal as a PM, so particularly useful for 1 liners to folks who have already responded to a thread - such as "is that polite for "I think you are a twat?" :-)" .........keeps me from fanning any flames on a thread. or pouring petrol on ..........but lets the Poster know that someone (at least one ) finds it funny / understands the post..........and suffices for my own purposes of spleen venting
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 05:07   #155

Boat: Edel 665 23' - Reckless
I think some of the rudeness can be attributed to words not coming across as clear in text as the poster may have intended. Often posters words are misunderstood and later corrected.

Some posts yes I agree the poster was outright being rude, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. There are also some armchair cruisers that feel they know everything based on what they read in a book or magazine that I have seen pipe up. Good rule of thumb is if you don't have any actual experience with the Original topic, stay out of it.

The back and forth pissing contests between some posters I have seen I can do without. It is fine if someone disagrees with your opinion, there is not need to argue back and forth about it, and get personal.

But as stated in previous posts CF is a rather civil forum compared to others. And the Mod do a decent job of calming things down when they get out of hand.

I enjoy this forum much more than others I am on.
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 07:13   #156
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless View Post

Good rule of thumb is if you don't have any actual experience with the Original topic, stay out of it.
I knew there had to be a good reason why I hadn’t posted on this thread so far… lol

Seriously, we all have our “all ready listening” buttons that can be pushed, or a pet peeve that will invoke a sharp or rude response.

When it happens in real life, we mostly tend to ignore that person, since we balance the benefit of correcting an attitude to it escalating to absurdity.

But here, it is so easy to chastise someone for a single rude remark, that some will ironically respond in kind about their behavior.

I think the reason CF works so well is that the Mod’s have used the most effective tool in moderation….. they simply ignore…. unless it gets out of hand
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 07:35   #157
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... Good rule of thumb is if you don't have any actual experience with the Original topic, stay out of it ...
I struggle with this one on a daily basis.
How do I differentiate between “actual” and other, less valid, experience?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 07:39   #158
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Easy. You post it. and then I decide whether it is useful for me

Others may prefer the thinking done for them and their answers pre-packaged...........a lot of that about in general nowadays
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 09:01   #159
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
hi kids--all this talk of rudeness---not resolved yet--does that mean i was rude?/ i didnt get my hand smakked so i didnt think i was out of hand/..i try to add something nice when i say something mebbe couold be taken differently than i mean to sound---i l=alredady had my hand smakked a few times, as well as the thankyou button pushed 10 times--yes i count them-they overcome the pain of hand smakking..LOL...at least these folks dont ban ye for life for disagreeing with a mods inappropriate wifee..LOL....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 09:36   #160
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
I frequent this forum infrequently at times,
I think we should promote "infrequent" to a verb and we should all understand what it means.

"I infrequent this forum." should be a phrase readily understood - The conservation of words is satisfying. That's because I am a great conservationist...

Quote:
Some posts yes I agree the poster was outright being rude, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. There are also some armchair cruisers that feel they know everything based on what they read in a book or magazine that I have seen pipe up. Good rule of thumb is if you don't have any actual experience with the Original topic, stay out of it.
I personally don't agree with this one. You state everyone is entitled to their opinion, as long as they don't share it if they have no first hand experience. Hmmmm...

The dialog is the key, IMHO. Out of the mouths of babes is a useful concept. Someone may post something that is inaccurate. Several things can happen.

- The collective experience of our members kicks in and the person learns something. Had they not expressed the opinion, they could continue on with their misinformation
- The conversation takes a turn into an area it may not have otherwise and everyone gets to share some experience
- Someone dogpiles on the poster and the thread gets obnoxious, rude, moderated and ultimately closed

Treat every comment as you would like your comment in person to be treated (with civility) and the forum is a happier place. Be tolerant of others lack of knowledge and don't take it personally.

We understand that the person who digs their heels in and vigorously defends an indefensible position can be very frustrating to deal with.

My favorite phrase at that point is "OK. I respect your opinion. Let's agree to disagree."

I am not harmed, my position is unchanged and if I am right there are probably others that agree with me. If one person is going to insist on running around with incorrect information who am I to save them? I can't save everyone (anyone?) from themself. Why lose sleep?

The argument for pursuing these fights so vigorously that we see most often in the back room is, "Well it's ridiculous that CF should allow incorrect information to remain in the thread. You (moderators) must remove the incorrect posts!"

There is incorrect information all over the internet. The moderators are not the arbiters of truth. If our small (very small) amount of collective wisdom was (mis)used by us trying to be the champions of truth, you guys would string us up and we would have pretty bad reputations for not allowing open dialog.

So we allow untruth - even when we see it. We just don't allow anyone to be mean to each other if we can help it.

The discerning reader can pretty much pick the truth out of most threads and that's pretty much how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT G View Post
Every "community," online or otherwise, develops a culture. People who don't take time to study that culture and become familiar with its mores / norms prior to injecting themselves, without sensitivity, into its discourse are asking for trouble.

When an intelligent human being goes to a party of strangers, do they jump in and start talking loudly about whatever they like, and then cry foul or act shocked at the responses they might get? Or do they typically assess the sitiation and culture in the room before becoming a vocal participant in the evolving discussions?
Some people visit the party, determine pretty quickly there is no intelligent life and move on to a new party - That's why we always need new members
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 09:52   #161
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
Overall its pretty civilized, except for the two hullers ....
I was thinking the same thing, only that it's you 1/2 boats who are the rude ones
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 09:56   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I was thinking the same thing, only that it's you 1/2 boats who are the rude ones
lolo--i have 2 half boats--does that make me civil????
Old 24-08-2010, 09:56   #163

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Sometimes it's not likely there is any firsthand experience to be had with a problem - and it is appropriate to offer suggestions or at least a chunk of grey-matter for a brainstorming session. If that does not suffice, then you can offer a money-back guarantee on your advice.
Quote:
I think some of the rudeness can be attributed to words not coming across as clear in text as the poster may have intended. Often posters words are misunderstood and later corrected.
How serendipitous - this was on the news today: ToneCheck: Don&#39;t send the wrong message.
I don't need it - my tone is perfect; but the rest of you...
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 10:11   #164

i know i have been mis-read--ty gord for pointing that out to me--i try to say in easy ways--doesnt always work.

what tone?? LOL....
Old 24-08-2010, 10:20   #165
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
While the topic of this thread is rudeness that does not give people the right to take shots at each other, or then number of hulls their boats have.

Thank you.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote