Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2010, 12:49   #121
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Geeze the poor old Mods get the biggest bashing on this forum!

I think this is the most friendly of all possible forums.

I let others rule on a number of threads without a whisper of my total and earnest displeasure at them in certain subjects (pre-adult sailors etc) because I know only one opinion is acceptable to them.

I even apologise when I read a post because its a "New" post and accidently reply because its in a forum I seem to be disallowed to state an opinion as my boat has a different number of hulls.

I even talk crap (like: Yes Go Go GO! when I know they have a good chance of killing themselves or their loved one crew member when they want to go to sea in a bathtub) just to keep the peace here.

How far do we have to go before we implode up the bum of banality?

If a Mod can't Mod and an intelligent opinion can't be put where the hell are we?

The difference between a dictatorship and a democaracy is in a dictatorship you can say anything as long as its agreeable. A democracy must allow much more robust debate. Now matter how distasteful to people who think they are the only ones who are right.

Viva Le Mods!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Viva robust debate!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 13:16   #122

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Now there's a question for the ages! Only an Aussie could come up with this one! Coming from someone who has been edited SEVERAL times, I believe the Mods do a wonderful job here. I've been to L+A and SA forums, and I cant stand them. I have worked 6 long, hard years to refit this boat, studied hard and read everything in sight in order to prepare for my upcoming cruise. I log onto CF for information and enjoyment, and thanks to the CF Mods I can count on a great experience. For this I pay the princely sum of NOTHING. Zilch. ZERO. Now... watch this! I'll bet I'm about to be edited... I think people who complain about the Mods here should be smacked with a tennis racket! [EDIT: This is cleaner than what we have contemplated smacking them with, so we'll let it stand. TJ]

PS; I WOULD pay for one of those nifty burgees though... [EDIT: The details for members to have a Cruisers Forum burgee of their very own are almost ironed out, Christian. I believe you, and the other members, will be pleased. TJ]

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 13:48   #123

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Ummmmm Burgee Yessss......
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 13:58   #124
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Ummmmm Burgee Yessss......
Far be it from me to transform this into yet another gun thread, but I'm feeling the need to announce that there is now an armed sentry standing watch over my lower starboard spreader.
Old 23-08-2010, 14:08   #125

Well, your living the high life in the Med.

Good quote though!

Quote:
If a Mod can't Mod and an intelligent opinion can't be put where the hell are we?

Mark
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 14:27   #126
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:

The difference between a dictatorship and a democracy is in a dictatorship you can say anything as long as its agreeable. A democracy must allow much more robust debate. No matter how distasteful to people who think they are the only ones who are right.
Mark
That is a good quote
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 14:38   #127
CLOD

Boat: none
Just to go off topic some; what's all this rudness to people sailing in bath tubs by saying they are going to kill themselves. I read in a Dick Pitt novel where he sailed in a bath tub and survived a hurricane in it! So man up like Dirk and get out and sail!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 14:58   #128

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
At the risk of incurring the wrath of both the posters herein and the moderators, I would respectfully suggest that people who find this forum rude ought to consider purchasing a thicker skin. As web forums go, CF is particlarly polite and courteous, and it's posters are more well-mannered than one might reasonably expect from such a diverse sample of the general population.

I frequent many other sailing and non-sailing forums and this is by far the best in terms of politeness and respect for others. Sure; it isn't perfect, and occasionally tempers get frayed and opinons get heated, but such is the nature of robust debate and the moderators do, in my opinion, do a good job of stepping in and moderating when necessary (especially when you bear in mind what thay get paid for their services). The moderators are only human, and I'm sure they do make the odd mistake here and there, but on balance they do a sterling job.

I mean; sure, sometimes people resort to ad-hominem attacks, but at the risk of commiting the strawman logical fallacy, I don't come to CF to sit around, holding hands and singing kum bay ya. CF is,for me, the stand-out information resource for cruising sailing related matters, and having to sort the wheat from the chaff comes with the territory with this type of medium and frankly the signal to noise ratio is pretty damned good.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 15:53   #129
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Wow. What a run in a few hours.

This is the ONLY sailing forum I frequent. It's just this: I like the folks here, and it's a pleasant site.

As someone previously noted, you aren't going to change someone's mind about religion, politics or cat vs. mono. So, I avoid those topics completely.

BTW, HEB in Texas sells "Mexican Coke". Just cross the border from La into Orange, TX.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 17:09   #130

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Geeze the poor old Mods get the biggest bashing on this forum!

I think this is the most friendly of all possible forums.

I let others rule on a number of threads without a whisper of my total and earnest displeasure at them in certain subjects (pre-adult sailors etc) because I know only one opinion is acceptable to them.

I even apologise when I read a post because its a "New" post and accidently reply because its in a forum I seem to be disallowed to state an opinion as my boat has a different number of hulls.

I even talk crap (like: Yes Go Go GO! when I know they have a good chance of killing themselves or their loved one crew member when they want to go to sea in a bathtub) just to keep the peace here.

The difference between a dictatorship and a democaracy is in a dictatorship you can say anything as long as its agreeable. A democracy must allow much more robust debate. Now matter how distasteful to people who think they are the only ones who are right.

Viva Le Mods!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Viva robust debate!

Mark
I'm confused Mark. Is your complaint there is too much monitoring or not enough? You seem happy with the moderators but unhappy with your ability to express an "intelligent" opinion. What would you like to see more of?
Old 23-08-2010, 17:38   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I'm confused Mark. Is your complaint there is too much monitoring or not enough? You seem happy with the moderators but unhappy with your ability to express an "intelligent" opinion. What would you like to see more of?
I have to agree, I read Mark's post and thought "gee, that sounds like a heavy undercurrent of complaint about the forum, in a post which goes on to congratulate the mods on doing a great job..."

I guess the conclusion is that it's not the mods who Mark is unhappy about, it's the rest of us he objects to
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 17:42   #132

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradix View Post
I have to agree, I read Mark's post and thought "gee, that sounds like a heavy undercurrent of complaint about the forum, in a post which goes on to congratulate the mods on doing a great job..."

I guess the conclusion is that it's not the mods who Mark is unhappy about, it's the rest of us he objects to
Heaven help us if a fellow Aussie cant decipher him...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 17:52   #133

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Don't get too excited. I think he was just trying out a new random prose generator.

-Sven
Old 23-08-2010, 17:58   #134
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:

I hope this post was a joke that was expressed poorly. Otherwise it kind of goes to the point of the thread.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 18:03   #135

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I hope this post was a joke that was expressed poorly. Otherwise it kind of goes to the point of the thread.
Joke? No, and I don't see where its rude. I just don't know what Mark is saying and I'm trying to clarify. Seems others are confused as well.