Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2010, 13:19   #61

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
I registered here over a year ago, posted a few times then left for a bit I can tell you the reasons why. I'm not criticizing CF at all, just trying to give you an idea of what its like as a newbie.

While no one was ever rude to me, it did feel a bit as if the only people who were "qualified" to post were those who had circumnavigated in their dinghy with only a watch and sextant to navigate with. So I spent time reading here, posting elsewhere.

Again, not criticizing but at times CF can feel like a very private Old Salts club where new members need not apply. I seriously thought I shouldn't post anything here until we'd been out for at least 6 months. Given the blindingly fast rate of our refit (HA!), I opted to poke my head in once again rather than wait another couple of years.

I appreciate the opinions and suggestions of those who've "been there, done that" and I also appreciate the suggestions of newbies because often they have a new way of looking at things which is not necessarily a bad thing. Trial and error lets you work out the best course of action to take and if nobody ever tries anything new, nothing ever evolves.

I agree, especially since this sailing world is expanding at an incredible rate, new ways, new perspectives, new products, always something to learn. That is what makes this forum so invaluable.
Erika

PS
welcome to CF (again), hope you are refit and cruising soon
Old 22-08-2010, 13:34   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
... I can tell you in no uncertain terms that all the moderators take the "Be Nice" rule very seriously ...
I can’t speak for forum ownership (AndyR), nor management (the Moderators); but I can offer a historical perspective, entirely supportive of Hud’s explanation.

From our earliest beginnings, back in 2003, CF members have tried very hard to differentiate between vigorous debate (intelligent argument), and squabbling/feuding & personal insult/assault.

It’s not always easy to differentiate between legitimate debate and personal assault; but in the end, it's always worth the effort.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 14:01   #63

Different people express themselves in different ways, and this can vary with cultures. In some internet settings anonymity breeds considerable rudeness - try some bridge sites where there are plenty of prima donnas.
I haven't read or don't recall the threads mentioned, and can't say I have seen any great rudeness.
It is helpful to be able to ask advice and the net is a great source of expertise.
That said it takes time to respond and it seems to me that rather than relying on others a reasonable step is to do some background research first.
When it comes to the "I know nothing about sailing but have 10K and want to buy a boat and sail solo around the world east to west non stop what should I buy?" threads. Typically it will draw the go small go now group and those who are more conservative some of whom may be a little direct but not often blunt let alone rude. I suspect quite often some of these ops are taken more seriously than they warrant.
I doubt that in most cases their plans are more than hot air. At some point there will be cases and no doubt have been where someone does something quite unwise and loses their life or endangers others. Maybe they wouldn't ask, but if they did I would hope that there would be some responses suggesting prudence.
I think a reasonable test of how serious people are is their willingness to research out some of the points eg boat choice brands etc. To refer them to the many threads and availability of information is not rude.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 14:02   #64

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
At least your diet is working as your new profile pic shows.

Mark

LOL.....Look here buddy!....I'll have you know that's my wife's butt not mine ...you silly boy you...

Diet?....what Diet?..........OH you mean removing all the mirrors in the house?...........ya that ones going well for me........

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 14:05   #65
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
I appreciate the opinions and suggestions of those who've "been there, done that" and I also appreciate the suggestions of newbies because often they have a new way of looking at things which is not necessarily a bad thing. Trial and error lets you work out the best course of action to take and if nobody ever tries anything new, nothing ever evolves.
Yeah

And just because someone has no experiance of a boat based lifestyle or indeed boats at all doesn't mean they have nothing to contribute from a million angles from their own life experiances, even if not boat based - unless they have spent the last 5, 10, 50 years living as a hermit atop a mountain.........even then they may still be able to post some damned good questions as thread starters

Of course "I have $2k to go around the world - what's the best ferrocement Cat to build?" do get a bit same old same old, mainly because one knows that the OP will very soon dissapear back into the Internet.......but I don't think new folks get ridiculed, even if deserved .......a bit of chain yanking maybe
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 14:06   #66
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Rick, that's a pretty cynical statement. Do you really believe that Andy promotes controversy to attract member? He's the one that wrote the Community Rules, which includes this statement...
I can tell you in no uncertain terms that all the moderators take the "Be Nice" rule very seriously.

And the "Ignore" button will return when the tech guy works his way down the punch list to it.
Cynical? LOL....Yes Andy wrote this, but he wrote lots of things including giving multihull owners their own protected area, yet look what happened. I had to send him his original edict on this to remind him of what he intended at the time as many of the current moderators were not involved when this occurred. Andy did respond, and agreed, yet multihull attacks continue. I came to the conclusion that it's apparently just plain good business on his part.

Those old multi vs mono war threads ... and the more recent attempts at the same, is probably all I need to rest my case.

Heck, how can you disagree?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 14:12   #67

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
And the "Ignore" button will return when the tech guy works his way down the punch list to it.
Sooner would be better than later. Not hard in vBulletin. Can I help?
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 14:34   #68

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
"I have $2k to go around the world - what's the best ferrocement Cat to build?"
That's SIMPLE!!! The one with the guns and a Rocna aboard!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 14:40   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Why is it that some people, sometimes, view anything less than a religious zeal (in favour), to be a vicious (rude) attack?

Those who wish to preach only to the converted; might form a church, severely restrict it’s membership, and sermonize to the blessed anointed.

Old 22-08-2010, 14:45   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Why is it that some people, sometimes, view anything less than a religious
zeal (in favour), to be a vicious (rude) attack?

Those who wish to preach only to the converted; might form a church, severely restrict it’s membership, and sermonize to the blessed anointed.
You wouldn't be addressing a certain 'cat' from Florida would you?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 15:00   #71
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Why is it that some people, sometimes, view anything less than a religious zeal (in favour), to be a vicious (rude) attack?

Really? ... LOL .. you have this completely reversed my friend. I do not espouse, preach or any variation of the above. My involvement always has been limited to defense.

The situation I describe is your compatriots seeking out and causing disruptions within the multihull community. Whereas the reverse of this was never apparent. Your comment is misleading at best, and certainly unappreciated.

However, it wasn't rude by any means.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 15:07   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
You wouldn't be addressing ...
NO - I’m addressing the entire community; including those who might agree with me (at least in part); as well as those who would disagree with me (including vehemently so).

I hope to encourage all those who might be moved to express a (possibly unpopular) contrary viewpoint; so long as they get their facts right, and remain civil in their language and demeanour.

Let me make this absolutely & unmistakably clear:
I HAVE THE UTMOST PERSONAL RESPECT FOR RICK (Tropic Cat).

Old 22-08-2010, 15:07   #73
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Cynical? LOL....Yes Andy wrote this, but he wrote lots of things including giving multihull owners their own protected area, yet look what happened. I had to send him his original edict on this to remind him of what he intended at the time as many of the current moderators were not involved when this occurred. Andy did respond, and agreed, yet multihull attacks continue. I came to the conclusion that it's apparently just plain good business on his part.
I did wonder about the motivation for the CF view on the recent Tits on a boat thread - but I am a Cynic . Not to say I have anything against it - just don't expect everyone to "get with the program"

Quote:
Those old multi vs mono war threads ... and the more recent attempts at the same, is probably all I need to rest my case.

Heck, how can you disagree?
CF.com is about learning.

Some in the Cat Forum do not like learning. that's their problem. Others want to protect their "investment" I can understand that. and others seem to simply be insecure. and with no sense of humour. .................but shouting down others who are seeking to learn is not my idea of what CF is about. No matter that the process may not fit conveniantly into the happy shiney self-delusions a large cheque has entitled them to. plenty of other forums on the net for that. both with and without the word multihull in the title
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 15:13   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
Lack of self worth?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 15:22   #75

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mates. Only 2 rude people down here in the land of the Kiwi and neither of them are on this forum!! Gotta go, the captain is calling for the sails to be trimmed. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote