Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2010, 10:25   #46

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I ignore boorish people- but sometimes they do keep me from posting. I think are greatest resource is each other and learning from each other. I will keep posting even though I get "You dummy you should have done A and B first" in the thread. I appreciate people that give positive thoughts for improvement. I think its an art form and the epitome of tact.
Hey "you dummy"...you should have said...................ah! never mind..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 10:35   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I ignore boorish people- but sometimes they do keep me from posting. I think are greatest resource is each other and learning from each other. I will keep posting even though I get "You dummy you should have done A and B first" in the thread. I appreciate people that give positive thoughts for improvement. I think its an art form and the epitome of tact.
Absolutely. On the internet, it is quite an art to provide constructive criticism without appearing as a self-appointed expert. It is that appearance which can often cause offense and heated argument.

If you start off with something like "Let me tell you how its done, son." that is just asking for trouble.
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 10:49   #48

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
You know 'you done good' when someone pushes that little thanks button.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 10:59   #49

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
"What Is with the Rudness at CF ?"

Stop your sniveling, Dweeb!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 11:20   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I didn't read the posts in question. I've been sailing places where the internet is not as available this summer and have trimmed my reading of posts. In the short while since I joined though I've noticed some rudeness but I have a built in ignore button It is unfortunate if people get the wrong impression but then life is like that isn't it? Rudeness isn't limited to the internet. I've said it before but it's worth saying again; I'm grateful for the job the moderators do since this manages to be a reasonable place to get good information and have a little fun. Thanks.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 11:30   #51

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Bash's post #45 (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post506962) was a great tribute to the Mods who do their best to keep CF civil. I even sent him a "Thanks" for his post. As the old adage goes, you catch more bees with honey than vinegar.

Glad to see this thread. It is growing at a near record pace - 4 pages in less than 12 hours!
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 11:42   #52
CLOD

Boat: none
There is of course rudness on CF. But I think most of it has to do with being negative and discouraging toward a few general typical topics/questions. Seems most threads about a boat model, cruising plans, budgets always seem to spiral out of control into people more interested in "winning" their point. Maybe it's because those that have been on CF a while have seen too many of these and are 'tired" of them. Probably a fair amount of this could be avoided by nicely recommending to the new poster they should do a site search.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 11:47   #53

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
I registered here over a year ago, posted a few times then left for a bit I can tell you the reasons why. I'm not criticizing CF at all, just trying to give you an idea of what its like as a newbie.

While no one was ever rude to me, it did feel a bit as if the only people who were "qualified" to post were those who had circumnavigated in their dinghy with only a watch and sextant to navigate with. So I spent time reading here, posting elsewhere.

Again, not criticizing but at times CF can feel like a very private Old Salts club where new members need not apply. I seriously thought I shouldn't post anything here until we'd been out for at least 6 months. Given the blindingly fast rate of our refit (HA!), I opted to poke my head in once again rather than wait another couple of years.

I appreciate the opinions and suggestions of those who've "been there, done that" and I also appreciate the suggestions of newbies because often they have a new way of looking at things which is not necessarily a bad thing. Trial and error lets you work out the best course of action to take and if nobody ever tries anything new, nothing ever evolves.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 11:47   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post
Bash's post #45 (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post506962) was a great tribute to the Mods who do their best to keep CF civil. I even sent him a "Thanks" for his post. As the old adage goes, you catch more bees with honey than vinegar.
Glad to see this thread. It is growing at a near record pace - 4 pages in less than 12 hours!
Here, here. In other words, indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 11:59   #55

Send a message via AIM to iwsteel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I have noticed a trend of rudeness at cf, it started with the thread with the young couple wanting to sail RTW and it still persist. I stopped reading for a while cause it just seemed a bit of a downer. I always thought of CF as a place to get help and input and yes encouragement. Cruising for many is a lifelong dream, and the amount of static the outter world gives us dreamers is plenty, we don't need any of that crap here. This rudness is not to the level of say sailnet, but it doesn't seem to be going away either.
What do you think? is this just a phase?
I think it fallowed me here OG. From the Cruel World I wish to escape.

But I wont Escape knowing it will fallow me. I will Hobble it First so it Cannot Go. Then escape and leave peaces of my broken heart as a trail for the pure of heart to collect on their way....and once we get there. We can Mend. The Broken Hearts
iwsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 12:30   #56

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
IW, your input has been very thought provoking. Remember, the sea is a great hearler, get your buns out there .
E
Old 22-08-2010, 12:38   #57
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
For me, I have enjoyed being able to put some threads that rile me on "Ignore"
However that function does not operate at the moment. See: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ads-44656.html .......

I also commend folks to use the Ignore User button - however I just found thats disappeared too!!!!!!!!!! ....
People get so wrapped up in this forum that they forget, this is a business, not a hobby for Andy.

Controversy brings in the people. More traffic = more money. I'm afraid it's that simple and probably the reason those buttons have disappeared from cf.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 13:11   #58
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Rick, that's a pretty cynical statement. Do you really believe that Andy promotes controversy to attract member? He's the one that wrote the Community Rules, which includes this statement...
Quote:
Be Courteous!
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our underlying philosophy is that the strength of the member relationships we build here is what sets us apart from the other boards - we are friendlier, more civil, more insightful, more mature and more fun.
  • Our rules extend to all sections of the website including messaging functions, galleries and any other public or private posting.
  • Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.
  • Do not post unsubstantiated gossip, libelous remarks or directly misleading information.
  • Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track.
  • Do not post the same discussion more than once or in many forums.
  • The language of this forum is English. If you are not a native English speaker, do your best. We are glad to have you as a member and will be supportive and polite.
  • Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account. Complaints about moderator decisions may not be made in posts; instead send a private message to a moderator, administrator or use the Contact Us form to reach the owner Cruisers Forum. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.
  • We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.
I can tell you in no uncertain terms that all the moderators take the "Be Nice" rule very seriously.

And the "Ignore" button will return when the tech guy works his way down the punch list to it.
Old 22-08-2010, 13:14   #59
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Like Randy I get tired of the Go simple, get rid of everything mantra...but Iv been around enough to where I know the mentality types now on both sides of the argument and realize that for them its the right decision...for me it is not...

At least your diet is working as your new profile pic shows.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 13:19   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
tropic cat cynical? Can't be.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote