Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2010, 00:21   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I have noticed a trend of rudeness at cf, it started with the thread with the young couple wanting to sail RTW and it still persist.
I think the problem is that this couple arrived with rather a spam-flavoured bang.

I came here to learn background on sailing and as part of researching, not to advertise myself. The couple in question, as I recall, arrived on several threads on one go and said (paraphrasing) "Look at us, drive up our blog traffic". The moderators removed their posts and then the intrepid pair came back and reposted. As far as I know they've hardly been back. They are on SailNet, Sailing Anarchy, etc

In short, it looked and felt like a big spam operation and that seems to be what put peoples' backs up.

There is a saying that "there is no such thing as bad advertising" and this case seems to prove that rule. They are better known and more discussed than they ever were just a few months ago.

I have looked at their blog and I don't like it. I don't wish them any ill or harm, I just find them too exhibitionist for my taste, but that's just me.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 00:36   #17

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway
I am new here. I am relatively uneducated ( in sailing and cruising). I have tons of passion. I don't waste the forums time, experiance, and education on something I can research myself in 20 mins and find an answer. I think the forum is hard for those that don't have a thick skin, are ill prepared, or who rely on others constantly to prop themselves up to being proficient.

This forum is about helping others who are able to help themselves, not freeloaders who are here to gain from the expense from others or unable to help themselves or contribute.

your experiance may vary.....

B
mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 01:21   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

The forum as a whole seems to go downhill whenever a Cat thread goes "live" If they didn't keep flipping 'em CF would be a lot nicer

MarkJ makes a good point about the ignore thread function. I also found the ignore sub forum function useful.........together really change the feel of CF for me. I could of course not read or post on certain threads - but I suffer badly from temptation

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
But I think there is a familiarity here amongst the hard core who regularly post and that makes for a community where people allow more give and take which strangers dont at first become part of or understand untill they have eased themselves right in
One thing I am conscious of is not excluding new folks simply for being new on CF. Been on a few forums over the years where new folks feel they have to suck up to the established members . or not
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 01:40   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Ask questions first, shoot later...

Regrettably as a Moderator I try to ask questions first and to act later. With Moderators spread all over the globe sometimes it can be a slow process to be sure we have the right culprit in our sights before pulling the trigger.

The process is private so those who have been offended don't often see the end result. We also use a "Three strikes" rule so recalcitrant members do have to try quite hard to attract firm action. Taking unwarranted or unfair action can be worse than giving the "benefit of the doubt".

As a Moderator I sometimes cringe when I see some posts.

What I hope yous do see is some members becoming much more "reasonable".

It does help us greatly when members use the "Report Post" and "Ignore" functions.

I believe the Techs are working on any bugs in the "Ignore" function.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 02:12   #20
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Part of it seems to be a natural phenomenon. I frequent several forums. Computer, car, boat, graphics, etc.

A newbie has to learn that there are rude people everywhere. The medium does not express emotion very well, and the reader may supply their own. After being in forums a while, you learn to search before you ask, give enough information when you do, and be prepared for answers you may not like. Weed through them for the good information and ignore the people that are insensitive.

Some types of forums (and I expect a cruising forum would be one of them) have a higher percentage of new visitors that have never been in a forum before. They aren't looking for a forum, they are looking for information.

This forum is one of the tamest I'm on. One computer forum has a ringleader. If he decides he doesn't like you, no one else will respond to your questions. I offended him the first time I was there. Took some well thought out posts to make him change his mind. Since the information I need is there, it was worth it.

My basic message is this.
  • It's gonna happen. Just the way of the world.
  • But we can help make it better. When a newbie comes in, we should all try to be tolerant. Watch for rude posts and immediately try to mitigate. Maybe we need a link to a sticky somewhere that explains the basic culture that applies to all forums.

The fact that you all are in here talking about it is the best sign.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 02:41   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Remember a forum that went downhill badly till posts were required to have a persons name on it, and in profiles etc.

Anonomous names 'PirateX' can more easily berate than a MarkJ especially when one can just be googled...

Mark <--- my real name is Horatio Bloomers

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 02:45   #22

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
This is the nicest, most polite forum ive come across.
Another boating forum im on also has a hard core of ignorant rude trouble makers who are so beligerant it defies belief and If I was to meet them in person, im sure the fur would fly.

A simple question like 'Can someone please help me, im trying to find......' gets a reply like, 'No try searching for it like everyone esle does'

There is a long running flame about pump out heads Vs cassetes. The main bully has a cassette toilet and thinks all pumpout types are lasy, dirty etc and makes no bones about saying it personally. Mods stand by and watch in silence.
The bullies are prepared to scan back over maybe a years worth of your posts to pick up on one little thing you once said and tear it apart to assasinate your charactar.

Good job its only cyber eh, or we would all be on a murder 1 charge.
Certainly not hard to see how wars start.

So listen up people, .......lets be nice out there.

Oh yeah, love and peace to you ALL xxx
Old 22-08-2010, 03:39   #23

Boat: Baba 35
I noticed it too recently.

Its not the heated arguments that are the problem as that comes with the territory of any internet forum, but rather the condescending and ridiculing demeanor regarding even the most random of topics.

There is a huge difference between someone disagreeing with your opinion passionately up front and someone whose entire purpose is to ridicule your ideas with sarcasm.

The "Whale bottom paint" thread is a great example. Someone asks a legitimate question based on curosity and in the sea of sarcasm that follows, of course, never surfaces their head again on this forum and most likely never will in the future. Who would after reading that?

Everyone likes to laugh once in a while and have a bit of fun, I count myself in that category. However, when it is at the expense of someones trust and inherent vulnerability that comes here to ask a question, it has completely crossed the line in my book. Its shameful and speaks very poorly of the community this forum is supposed to represent.
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 04:19   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient View Post

There is a huge difference between someone disagreeing with your opinion passionately up front and someone whose entire purpose is to ridicule your ideas with sarcasm.

The "Whale bottom paint" thread is a great example. .
I agree. However to some people a differing opinion may feel like a direct personal attack or confrontation. Also some element of humour may be brought into a subject but that doesn't mean there is an underlying truth.
In the Whale bottom paint thread is a great example of me using some of my humour about male whales mistaking a keel for another whale.

Should my thought be spurned as that of a looser with no right to put his post?
No. Because it IS thought male whales in the mating season may charge at a yacht mistaking the keel. (The reaction is to put the engine on - quickly. Then the whale realises its not another whale)

The point is that some threads have a humorous line or 2 in them. It doesn't mean they are condescending or valueless.

One other thing I have noticed:
The Mods keep Closing and Locking threads. They are all threads of a certain type that can be sometiimes avoided if we are aware of the type of thread that blows up.

I am trying to be involved in less threads that I know will eventually be Closed and Locked.

Still, more than once, I know, I get into the thick of things.

Again, that thread ignore button is good when its working

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 04:30   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

One other thing I have noticed:
The Mods keep Closing and Locking threads. They are all threads of a certain type that can be easily avoided if we are aware of the type of thread that blows up.

Any more complaining about rudeness on CF and the mods will lock this thread -

Seriously - The play nice rule is one we take most seriously. Once in a while a thread like this is important to get a pulse of the board.

Over time people get to know each other and we can start to predict who will have a go a whom over what topic. Sometimes folks need to close the lid on the laptop, go outside and go sailing.

I have been farting around with internet boards since around 1987 starting with usenet boards.

In all that time no one has fixed politics, religion, guns or anchoring. But the human spirit is strong so we keep trying -

There are two things I believe -

1 - Almost nobody has changed their mind on a topic as a result of an internet thread
2 - Almost everybody interested in the same topic, even if on opposite sides of the argument, would probably be buying each other beer at the yacht club bar. We all like boats.

As Boracay said, the best thing to do if you see a post that you think violates the rules, hit the report button and let us get involved. It almost never ends well if the members self moderate.

Also - As MarkJ says, if certain types of threads are making you uncomfortable, avoid them while the tech team is still figuring out how to fix the ignore features.

There are lot's of great subjects going on here.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 05:11   #26

Boat: Islander 36
Great thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Sometimes folks need to close the lid on the laptop, go outside and go sailing.

I way get that.
But...
If I could be on my boat now, I wouldn't be here now.

CF can be an addiction to me, and this very subject can be the cure.

It's hard when you're always right. Please ask me how I know.

Seriously, I have gained a lot here and I still recommend CF. And the humor helps get past the ugly.
Old 22-08-2010, 05:45   #27

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
I love the sarcasm on CF - it's why I keep coming back time after time. And as a Brit on a site (largely) full of Americans, I would like to commend you all on your ability to hone a fine (intrinsically) British talent which Americans are not (on the whole) known for.

Well done to all, and keep the cutting jibes coming, I love it!!!

(And I just bought another 20 bags of popcorn. Ammo, anybody?)
Cutting Gybes? You got barbed wire sheets or sump'n?
zopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 06:29   #28

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
or even my last cold Mexican Coke (the kind in a glass bottle still made with real sugar) might be worth fighting over
Where can I get some of that!?! I am tired of soft drinks with hfcs (high fructose corn syrup) I quit drinking that crap a few months ago, even though I still get a can or cup now and then. (maybe 1 a week) I have lost 15 pounds just drinking water or lightly sweetened tea. (unsweetened if it tastes good enough). I do like coke, but the hfcs was just too much.
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 06:32   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
SA is not for the faint of heart for sure. If you can get by the initial harassment there are some really sharp and well know sailors who post there. I'm a big fan of single-handed ocean racing, and their sub-forum for that is the best. But its not for everybody.
Yes, SA does require a bit of thick skin to participate. But once you understand that most people there intentionally stir the pot to cause trouble, participating is much easier. No post there can be too offensive, so don't be offended. Its nothing personal.

BTW their America's Cup Sub-Forum is the best too.
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 06:51   #30

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Interesting to me that the RTW couple (T&A ...hmmm, never noticed that) ended up posting more on SA than they did here. Wonder what that means? SA treated them better?