Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-10-2010, 23:17   #421
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ah well... there I was ..... GONEEEEEEEEE....
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hey Margo.... I refering to a deleted non PC (I assume) post.... not my departure from CF....Lmao
Hey... and now you are back - see post #378

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:18   #422
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
The same applies to lack of PC on the forum. Today that so many cruisers have adopted laptops and netbooks as their tool of choice.

b.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:15   #423
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
ok i am gonna try and do what he tried to do with his pc.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 13:38   #424

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
How's that when Black Sea waters flow into the Aegean Sea? Isn't the Dead Sea the lowest?
Right you are! brain fart on my part.......black..dead.....it was one of those one syllable words...
Old 05-10-2010, 17:07   #425
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ok i am gonna try and do what he tried to do with his pc.....
Zeehag: you are reading my mind.

We are in Las Palmas. Where are you? Can I invite you to a beer?

barnie
Old 05-10-2010, 17:57   #426
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
My mentor and friend said its apoor day if it you didn't learn something new. Very few poor days for me.
I been quiet for a while there cos of this new course I started, which actually has me spending time working. But I read through this thread diligently, and have learnt some new stuff:

- The contributors I used to respect and admire are in fact toffs and tossers. (Don't worry, I still like you - and I always wanted to be a toff, maybe you could give me some pointers?)
- Polemics are people who argue.
- There are idiots who actually admit to cyberspace that their boat is a drug haven.
- Over 99% of you are sober.

This has been a very useful thread. (Do you hear the intrinsically British sarcasm cutting through, there?)

What I haven't learned is: What exactly is trolling?

I used to thing it was an Americanism for trawling, as in 'trawling for business', or in terms you might better understand 'trawling the bars for a good time' - but it seems to be more of a bad thing, like the troll under the bridge waiting to gobble up innocent kids as they trip trap to the other side where the grass is greener....

Sooo - What is it?

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 18:04   #427

Boat: Ericson 39B - Senta II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
Sooo - What is it?
Urban Dictionary: trolling

-Sven
Old 05-10-2010, 18:17   #428
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:

I used to thing it was an Americanism for trawling, as in 'trawling for business', or in terms you might better understand 'trawling the bars for a good time' - but it seems to be more of a bad thing, like the troll under the bridge waiting to gobble up innocent kids as they trip trap to the other side where the grass is greener....

Sooo - What is it?
Trawling would work too really. If you were trolling from your boat you would be dragging a line aft but if you were trawling you would be dragging a net. The truth is spearing might be a better term since what you are really doing is fishing for suckers, when you troll in the WorldWideWeb sense of the word. That could also be seen as the WorldWrestlingFederation sense of the term where fishing for suckers is very successfully practiced. I suspect that in Vegas the suckers are thought to be cash cows and not fish at all however trolling is very much in evidence on the main drag.

p.s. Canadian sense of irony at play here.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 18:21   #429
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Quote:

Sooo - What is it?
Well if you really already know the answer to your question but are just posting the question to see what response you get - then you are engaging in trolling and therefore you are a troll.

If I already know that you know the answer but post a reply like this one, then maybe I am a troll also......

But if you actually don't know the answer, then keep reading cyberspace communications......

I always wanted to be admired and respected by a saucy sailoress and if having to become a tosser or toff is required then so be it but I expect I will just keep on being ignored
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 22:54   #430
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post

Not sure I agree with those definitions. Spcifically in regards to motivation, frivolity of the idea that somehow trolling is "fun."

Trolling does definitely come from the troll who lives under the bridge.

The troll baits the unsuspecting with incorrect, inflamatory or personal attack for the specific purpose to motivate the recipient to enagage in verbal battle of a contentious nature.

The troll analogy is that the troll baits the bridge causing the unwary and unsuspecting traveler to pause on the bridge wher the troll will jump out and ambush the traveler.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:54   #431
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Absolutely brilliant link!!! My second favourite is: "Being a prick on the internet because you can" Because, clearly I changed my username to greater preserve my anonymity so I can be more pricky!!!

My favourite definitition: "Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet, generally on message boards. When done in a moderated internet community, this can result in banning. When done to uptight people such as fundies, this can result in hilarity."

OK, so I thought that was the whole point of forum posting... (oh, and a fundie is short for fundamentalist). Right, who can I go and exercise my sarcasm muscle on next...?

Old 06-10-2010, 03:03   #432
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well if you really already know the answer to your question but are just posting the question to see what response you get - then you are engaging in trolling and therefore you are a troll.

If I already know that you know the answer but post a reply like this one, then maybe I am a troll also......

But if you actually don't know the answer, then keep reading cyberspace communications......

Actually, I'm really quite clever, and I had a very good idea of several meanings of the word. I know the meanings of lots of words. In fact, when I (used to) play scrabble with my german husband, he gets really pissed off because the words I make up are nearly always in the dictionary. That's because I'm good at English words. (Sadly, he won't play scrabble with me any more).

However, I wasn't really sure of which context the word was being used in. Being a classy (not toffy) English Girl, I quite often get confused by Americanisms; and am unafraid to ask for clarification. This doesn't embarrass me any more than asking a 'hoody' to speak proper English would. And by the way, 'gonna' is not a word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I always wanted to be admired and respected by a saucy sailoress and if having to become a tosser or toff is required then so be it but I expect I will just keep on being ignored
How could one possibly ignore such a trolling post. I assume your post counts as trolling, since you are clearly trying to bait me, and if Hummingway's definition is any good, then bait is what goes on the end of the line used for trolling.

Peace, man..... Love y'all!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:16   #433

Boat: C&C 34
Probably the spillovers from "Sailing Anarchy" www.sailinganarchy.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: