Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 16:15   #331

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Morgan View Post
I wasn't having a go at you...
. . . I was pointing out that there is an "old boys" feel to sailing and having a big boat or a big bank balance doesn't mean you have a big.... brain, or penis for that matter.
. . . most times I am on here it smells so sterile I think I am in a hospital, wealth of knowledge and advice but sheesh some people need to think about what life is really about rather than worry of petty ********...
Actually I was thinking you were joshing so I came back with my pals Nelson, Cook and Morgan. Great fun.
. . . And I think qualifying for one out of two in the 2nd paragraph is just fine.
. . . There is a huge amount of fun, sarcasm, and wit throughout this forum, but some of it is dry wit or subliminal humor. And it is mixed in with a lot of valuable information and opinions from all sides of an issue, concept, or piece of equipment.
. . . IMHO, Cf is a "resource center" and not forum for the inane or flamming or trolling activity. As others have definitely stated there are plenty of those sites in the internet for folks who relish that type of activity.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 16:28   #332
cruiser

Location: Usually somewhere that Triangulum Australe is in sight.
Boat: 28 foot steel sloop, Fiddler
Subjective and hearsay your honour! It isn't really a forum, it is a resource centre Too sterile and formal imho. Admin said the best on the net, but with the level of rudeness and aloofness, I told them I am not so sure. I have found some great advice here but not everyone here is 70 in the shade and into mozart and red on the deck... My boat is spliffs and slayer brother! Not everyone has a plum up their arse here for sure but a lot of people here (like everywhere else) shouldn't be contributing if they have nothing good to say! OR... be oversensitive to words typed on a screen, ffs sticks and stones!
Henry Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 16:42   #333

Boat: PETERSON 44
do you a boat built by spliffs and slayer?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 16:58   #334

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
"Noun ...troll (plural trolls) a grotesque humanoid creature living in caves or hills or under bridges. [from early 17th c.]
(slang) An ugly person of either sex..." And
"Verb ...(fishing) To entice fish with bait; to fish using a line and bait or lures trailed behind a boat. [from circa 1600] ...
(slang)(intransitive) To stroll about in order to find a sexual partner. [from 20th c.]"
Which definition would you have thought they meant ?

-Sven
Old 02-10-2010, 17:01   #335
cruiser

Location: Usually somewhere that Triangulum Australe is in sight.
Boat: 28 foot steel sloop, Fiddler
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
do you a boat built by spliffs and slayer?
well being steel you could say it was built with heavy metal... Being creative the designer was probably listening to marley and spliffing? I like it :P
Henry Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 17:15   #336
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Which definition would you have thought they meant ?

-Sven
I wouldn't have known, that's the point. I guess if someone had called me a troll I would have though they were calling me a grotesque humanoid who lives under a bridge! Or some such.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 17:49   #337

I resent the grotesque implication. You will not cross my bridge. Im that kinda of troll and didn't know there was a different meaning for my species.
Old 02-10-2010, 17:57   #338
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Personal criticisms seem a bit pointless and generally amuse me more than offend, but I can understand how they bother some people and I think the moderators should act on these posts.
Yes, when the argument goes personal it's not an argument any longer. It may not be a troll. We can have a fair bit of disagreement and it is expected. We can gather more information when exchanges in views between us are conducted without a personal attack. I

The accusation of being a troll is itself a personal attack. Calling someone a troll would be considered as such. The attitude associated with the accusation is a violation. It covers far more than trolling.

It's possible to troll knowing the end result without leading anyone to think so. For the serious troll there is someone else that takes the infraction. Trolls require a sucker to swallow the hook and gather enough fools to jump on board. They then walk away and watch the development deriving perverse pleasure. It's like an arsonist that likes to watch buildings burn. They want a fight but they don't want to actually be involved. They would prefer others beat themselves silly.

For the most part calling someone a troll usually is the bait required by the other person that started the troll.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 18:04   #339

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Sven, what is the first? I knew one forum where you had to use your real name and it was very civil.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 18:16   #340

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
The only good polemacist is a dead polemacist

Polemic usually addresses serious matters of religious, philosophical, political, or scientific importance, and is often written to dispute or refute a widely accepted position.

Until recently (today) I never even knew there was such a thing as a polemacist. Now I know that not only do they exist they seem to THRIVE on unsuspecting decent folk like you and me on this forum. Well I am here to say that if any polemacists come around this forum when I'm on-line I'm going to sock 'em one! Right in the kisser! Then I'm going to stomp on their fuzzy little polemacist heads. I don't want to seem polemaphobic, I'm just saying that any of them Polemacistic SOBs out there better not show their polmathetic little faces around me. unless, of course, they're really, really, really big polemacists, then I'd probably just say, "How ya doin', sport?" and go on with my life. Ater all, Polemacists have feelings too.
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 18:25   #341

My mentor and friend said its apoor day if it you didn't learn something new. Very few poor days for me. I had to look it up
This from wikipedia
polemic is a form of dispute, wherein the main efforts of the disputing parties are aimed at establishing the superiority of their own points of view regarding an issue. Along with debate, polemic is one of the more common forms of dispute. Similar to debate, it is constrained by a definite thesis which serves as the subject of controversy. However, unlike debate, which may seek common ground between two parties, a polemic is intended to establish the supremacy of a single point of view by refuting an opposing point of view.
The need for supreme acknowledgment bothers me but otherwise they want to argue. The opposite of love is not hate its apathy
Old 02-10-2010, 19:20   #342
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

So... basically... behind all these fancy names and extensive use of Dictionary's, Wiki and Thesaurus's all that's being said here is ...
Watch out for Bullshitters and wind-up artists... 341 posts to get here...

What happened to simple english.... everyone's a f#*kin intellectual...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 19:34   #343
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Could we talk about trolling a little bit? I'm interested in people's views about it. Am I the only person who thinks it should not be against the rules? Trolling is a practical joke intended to stir up the more dogmatic and/or gullible members, and it seems to me healthy fun. I don't do it myself, but I might if I had more time (!) on my hands.
I think there is a place for a form of humour wherein a friend baits another friend to get a rise and where it isn't carried to any length. I see trolling as a different thing. One of the goals of someone who is trolling is to derail a conversation by baiting the vulnerable. If someone is trolling they are defeated when you don't take the bait so cool heads always prevail.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 19:40   #344

Well at one point there was discussion "if any polemacists come around this forum when I'm on-line I'm going to sock 'em one! Right in the kisser!" which is kinda polemacist which may have been the point. 342 posts I don't find cf rude so I must have missed something. Its fun informative and rarely gets personnel. So if you can't deal with how right I am well your just wrong and Im better then that kinda supreme in my own way.
were we talking about sailing
Old 02-10-2010, 19:55   #345

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Polemacistacasim.
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote