Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2010, 16:46   #211
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
...Tacks, broken glass, motion sensors, electrified lifelines, attack parrots... Oh the hugemanity...
Indeed, the huge manatee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh, thehugemanatee.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	18685  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 17:50   #212

The Key to Insulting Someone is to Dress it as a Compliment

Quote:
Aaza Dana, she say: I would like to commend you all on your ability to hone a fine (intrinsically) British talent which Americans are not (on the whole) known for.
You may have your Oscar Wilde, but we have our Mark Twain, remember.

Still, you're right: there's a forthrightness about the American character that tends to prefer the unvarnished rather than drawing-room subtle. Perfectly beastly, don't you know?
Old 26-08-2010, 17:55   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
...what I was noticing was rudeness. It does seem like it was a phase cause I haven't run into it lately. Maybe a community can get grumpy just like an individual and we just needed a nap or something.

Erika
Don't worry Erika, someone has started another anchors/anchoring thread, so we'll be back to that grumpiness in no time...
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 19:03   #214
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Nothing puts the mods in battle stations mode like a good anchoring thred - LOL
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 19:34   #215

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
This was leaked to me, a glimpse into the secret life of a mod

Taken from NORAD guidelines for moderators during active anchor thread discussion

Defense Condition
Exercise Term
Description:

DEFCON 5
FADE OUT
Normal readiness anchor thread

DEFCON 4
DOUBLE TAKE
"what anchor?" question -Increased intelligence watch and strengthened security measures

DEFCON 3
ROUND HOUSE
"new generation" brought into the discussion -Increase in force readiness above that required for normal readiness

DEFCON 2
FAST PACE
rocna web site quoted -Further increase in force readiness, but less than maximum readiness

DEFCON 1
COCKED PISTOL
thread locked -Maximum readiness

Ah good times
Old 26-08-2010, 21:43   #216
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
DEFCON 1

Thread title contains

- "The best anchor is..."
- "Your anchor sucks because..."
- "1/2 boat length is plenty of swing room..."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 22:01   #217

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
YOU PEOPLE ARE ALL A BUNCH OF ASS HOLe%s. But, that being said, I like you.
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 23:26   #218

Rudeness.

To be truly rude takes practice.

IMHO the best rudeness contains some sarcasm, heavily disguised with a little humor.

To all those who practice the art, Have a nice day!

Ken
Get-a-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 02:46   #219
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Oscar Wilde was an Irishman BTW,
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 18:22   #220

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
I have to admit I find CF a bit “clicky”. There seems to be a lot of relentless posters who use the place to play with friends. If you are in on this “scene” you can basically post anything you want even if it hardly relates to the original theme. If an “outsider” puts anything sensible in between and they are basically ignored. Due this I can understand why some people don’t even bother getting serious and just spam. It is a real pity because some people do go out of their way to offer solid answers and advice.
Old 27-08-2010, 18:32   #221
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
surfershane--wow. i hadnt thought of this place as cliquish--there are 2 places, maybe 3 which practice cliquishness to an extreme. cf doesnt have that feel. if it did i would not be here. i know there are ,many folks here who actually know what they are doing--that is unique, as far as i am concerned , in sailing forums. sure, the kids like to play-who doesnt. ye cant always be serious-if you were, you would die early of heart attack or stroke. some of these folks have been sharing their knowledge for years. is a good comaraderie--welcome to the forum and come in frequently so we can get to know you and have fun and laugh and joke!! you live in the land of awesome cruising and surfing--we want to know you and how you sail upside down.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 18:40   #222

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get-a-Life View Post
To be truly rude takes practice.

IMHO the best rudeness contains some sarcasm, heavily disguised with a little humor.

To all those who practice the art, Have a nice day!

Ken
Thanks Ken,

But the last time I put some real effort into practicing your advice I had the posts deleted without warning or notice. It was a real pity because they were based on fact and a real part of bygone colonial and maritime history. (The “Law of the Sea” in the “Survival Food” thread as now deleted; come on, it was OK for others to bring up eating pets, saying this as my dog starts barking for unknown reason!). I suppose though we are all in the computer age now and not many of us are sailing around in classic little boats savouring the old ways?

Then maybe I am just an academically minded sea urchin who is going through a mid-life ciris after finally having lost all confidence in his landlubbing fellow mankind?
Old 27-08-2010, 18:48   #223

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
I have to admit I find CF a bit “clicky”. There seems to be a lot of relentless posters who use the place to play with friends. If you are in on this “scene” you can basically post anything you want even if it hardly relates to the original theme. If an “outsider” puts anything sensible in between and they are basically ignored. Due this I can understand why some people don’t even bother getting serious and just spam. It is a real pity because some people do go out of their way to offer solid answers and advice.
Where's that damn salt shaker? I have followed your posts for a bit now and admire how you bought the boat and headed out, learning as you went but not as a complete novice, but as one who has lived with the ocean for a long while.

CF is a/the top of the line cruiser's forum but you must unnerstan, see, that most of us are still tethered to dirt and working on it and live in cities, half a world or more away from your waterworld. You're an outlier and won't, I suspect, be immediately grasped by everyone. I take it as a honor that you, who are actually sailing about SE Asia, taking on crew here and there, and surfing great spots, feels the need of our companionship. Here, have one of my beers from beyond the mighty Pacific I've been saving for 12,000 miles for just such an occasion.

Say, think you could teach an old duffer how to stand up on a wave?
Old 27-08-2010, 18:53   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
surfershane--wow. i hadnt thought of this place as cliquish..,,,, the kids like to play-who doesnt. ye cant always be serious-if you were, you would die early of heart attack or stroke. some of these folks have been sharing their knowledge for years..,,,. welcome to the forum and come in frequently so we can get to know you and have fun and laugh and joke!! you live in the land of awesome cruising and surfing--we want to know you and how you sail upside down.
Thanks, as above I suppose the problem is that I still feel like a bit of an “outsider”. Most of this is due trouble I have had on land (where most of the spammers with no real interest are sitting waiting to cause trouble?). The great thing is that on the few extended cruises I have done to date I have met some really wonderful people. As above I am more than happy to acknowledge that many of these go out of there way to help others on CF.

Maybe an answer to my original dilemma might be if CF introduced a few more dedicated social networking threads for people to have “fun”?
Old 27-08-2010, 19:09   #225
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Thanks, as above I suppose the problem is that I still feel like a bit of an “outsider”. Most of this is due trouble I have had on land (where most of the spammers with no real interest are sitting waiting to cause trouble?). The great thing is that on the few extended cruises I have done to date I have met some really wonderful people. As above I am more than happy to acknowledge that many of these go out of there way to help others on CF.

Maybe an answer to my original dilemma might be if CF introduced a few more dedicated social networking threads for people to have “fun”?
go to social networks in your user control panel--we will be more than happy and ovwerly willing to corrupt you.... those of us not associated in any way with dirt, except for grease under our fingernails are too salty for anything but sailing. just jump in with both feets and we will catch ye....
btw--gorgeous boat you sail!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote